PDA

View Full Version : Returning student ambivalent about applying

sepideh2
10-28-2010, 03:03 AM
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should apply for an MA program in economics and was wondering if I could get some advice from you all.

I applied for an MA program in Canada about three years ago and was admitted to McGill, Queens, and U of T. Queens also offered me full funding. I wasn't able to enroll in the program because I started to have some problems in my last semester of undergrad that led to me failing all my courses and not being able to graduate. I never reapplied again as I wasn't able to resolve my issues.

Things are getting better now and I'm considering my career options. I have two main issues: 1- I have not used my math and economics skills for the past two years and am concerned that I won't be able to handle grad school. I'm trying to read an advanced micro book and feel overwhelmed by the material. 2- I wanted a research career in economics since my third year in highschool and worked really hard in college to achieve that dream but right now I'm not sure if it's really right for me. I don't know if it's because I have been away from it for so long or if there is some other reason. I just can't seem to be able to motivate myself and am really ambivalent about it.

If I do apply for the MA it will be next year so I have a while to catch up with the core material. I'm not sure I believe in the economic theory but I'm fascinated with applied econometrics.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

oleador
10-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Hello all,
and not being able to graduate. I never reapplied again as I wasn't able to resolve my issues.

Short question: have you graduated from your undergrad school?

Charis
10-28-2010, 07:10 AM
If it's applied econometrics you're interested in why don't you just shoot for a MA in statistics. I mean then you'd have great job prospects which would help motivate you and you could skip out on this econ theory. Honestly, I'd get a MA in stats or MFE if not for my love of economics.

sepideh2
10-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Short question: have you graduated from your undergrad school?

Thanks for the reply. I never graduated from my undergrad school. I'm taking the last two courses this year in order to do that. Currently taking public eco and a course in another field. I was able to petition the school to withdraw from those courses I failed in so it didn't affect my GPA.

sepideh2
10-28-2010, 12:48 PM
If it's applied econometrics you're interested in why don't you just shoot for a MA in statistics. I mean then you'd have great job prospects which would help motivate you and you could skip out on this econ theory. Honestly, I'd get a MA in stats or MFE if not for my love of economics.

Thanks for the reply. One of majors is actually in statistics and so I took lots of statistics courses both applied and theoretical. While I really enjoyed the theoretical courses, I didn't have a good experience with applied statistics courses that I took. I think the approach is a little bit different than econometrics.

In economics, I do like game theory and IO and I liked the course I took in development economics but basic micro annoys me and I'm currently feeling overwhelmed trying to review the material.