PDA

View Full Version : AWA score 4

shaken
10-28-2010, 05:27 PM
hi ppl,

i just got back my results, and scored a 4 in AWA, i feel that my writing wasn't quite up to par as to what I could have achieved. Just my luck I got topics that i remembered from the ets website item pool. Any tips on how can I improve my score?. Since there is no feedback from the testing service, i have no idea what to improve on. I hope I made sense.

thnkx

slashragnarok
11-09-2010, 06:51 PM
There is an ever increasing number of test takers who seem to swear by essay templates nowadays. A very popular template for the issue essay is as follows:

Intro: Restate the issue topic in your own words clearly demarcating the two sides of the issue, say something like "while side 2 of the issue might be applicable in some cases, I would agree with side 1." Better still start off with a general introduction on the issue topic and then take your stand on any one side of the issue.

Next, your body must have 4-5 paragraphs. First 3-4 paragraphs deal with making a claim to support your stand on the issue, providing reasons to support your claim, providing examples and elaborating. Next paragraph which is the 4th or 5th paragraph must be involved in moderating your claim so that you don't sound dogmatic. In this paragraph you generally support an aspect of the side to the issue that you are not supporting. You are not refuting your previous claims here but just qualifying your comments.

Finally, summarize all that you have written in support of your stand in roughly 7-8 lines and wrap up your essay. This as you might have guessed is the conclusion. So in all your essay has 6-7 paragraphs.

I think that in the essay, structure and sentence complexity is of prime importance, closely followed by relevance of examples provided and persuasive techniques used for reasoning. Of course the matter has to flow well. Try using transitional words like however, but, despite, additionally, on the contrary etc. That should be a nice essay.

jigsawhacker
04-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Also, is it a good idea to state our reservation/qualification in the introduction itself?

lastnightilie
05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
I think your qualification should always appear in the introduction. Things go more smoothly if you summarize your main points VERY briefly in the introduction. That way, a) the paper is easier to read and b) you know what you want to write in advance, so you can't let yourself go all over the place in the following paragraphs.