PDA

View Full Version : NSF Questions

tsimonoce
10-28-2010, 07:32 PM
First, is it acceptable to talk about my current thesis in progress in the previous research essay?

Further, is it acceptable in your research proposal to plan something building off your current thesis but not a drastically new idea?

Finally, in the prompts for all the essays, they say to emphasize the broader impacts. Is it possible or recommended to do this in previous research essay? I'm not quite sure how that would work.

Any comments on any of the questions or anything else related to the NSF are appreciated.

oyvey
10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
not sure how much this will help, but am running out the door right now, will try and answer in more detail later
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/114047-whats-secret-nsf.html

tsimonoce
10-28-2010, 08:32 PM
thanks. i have seen that before, but if i hadn't that would have been the perfect thing! but later, if you get a chance, give me your opinion. i'd love to hear it.

oyvey
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I would say (1) do not mention current work in previous essay, as it is not previous. (2) You can build off other work in your research plan, and I think thats what most people do. Finally, i would say (3) mention the broader impact wherever possible, especially in personal statement and research plan

SubEffect
10-29-2010, 06:25 PM
You can mention current work, and indeed, I definitely would if you think it is good. Last year I was working on an independent project with my adviser at the time of applying for NSF, and wrote about it a bunch in my application. Two of three reviewers mentioned the project in their comments as something they thought demonstrated good research abilities, and I ended up getting "excellent" from all for intellectual merit, which rates the research ability).