PDA

View Full Version : Topology

buzios
10-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me what the general pre-reqs are for a Topology class?

My university states that the only pre-req is intro to proofs (a class that I got approval to skip before taking analysis). I'll also be taking analysis at the same time.

Would it be possible to self-study the basic concepts one would need before taking an undergrad Topology course?

Thanks,

art

zurich_econ
10-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Yes, I think it should be possible to prepare on your own for a topology course - in fact, if intro to proofs is the only pre-req I wouldn't even know what to look at. If something like real analysis were a pre-req, then it would probably be very useful to look at the basic theory of metric spaces, because the most basic topological concepts like openness and continuousness are central also in that theory.

buzios
10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the reply, zurich_econ. Yeah, i was a bit surprised by that as well. But I think it's an intro to topology course.
Is there any particular material you would recommend (to have covered well before topology, and analysis for that matter)?

Cuak2000
10-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey Art, maybe I'm suggesting a book that's too basic, but you should check that you are ok with something like
Burkill's First Course in Analysis (http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Course-Mathematical-Analysis/dp/0521294681)

chestnut.cc
10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Maybe Naive Set Theory by Halmos. Some passing familiarity with the basic structure of the real line, to help grasp some of the concepts.

Zeno
10-31-2010, 03:59 AM
Maybe Naive Set Theory by Halmos. Some passing familiarity with the basic structure of the real line, to help grasp some of the concepts.

Really? It's not too advanced? I don't know much about it, but a friend of mine who's doing an MA in math (computability theory) at a top Canadian university read Naive Set Theory recently, so I assumed it was pretty technical...

achillisharry
10-31-2010, 04:33 AM
Topology is very very elegant, you need only to know about set theory and some basic concepts like open and close before taking the course. Enjoy it~:)

Galoisj
10-31-2010, 05:33 AM
Yes, intro proof is enough. You don't even need to know much about calculus.

buzios
10-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I was really keen on taking the course, but was worried about getting shafted because of a lack of real analysis etc.

Good to hear I should be able to handle it.

michaelmas
10-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Just don't make TM responsible if you don't...

achillisharry
10-31-2010, 12:51 PM
You don't need real analysis. I took Topology and measure theory (same as real analysis) in the same semester and it's ok. No prelinminaries, just logic.