PDA

View Full Version : Master's to prep for phD?

mrdon
10-31-2010, 03:26 PM
I found my interest in graduate econ studies rather late. Large, state university, econ major with math and German minors. Ran all A's in econ courses, gpa from last two years (exclusively econ, math (no de or real analysis though), German classes) 3.84. gre 720q 600v. Worked full-time, have no official research or tutoring experience. Considering applying to master's programs in order to increase competitiveness later on. Any advice on what level of phD programs I would be competitive for funding? Advice of good master's programs that offer funding?

Popolo2
11-01-2010, 02:26 AM
From what I understand, MSc programs almost never offer funding. I am doing a Master's myself after not being an economics major (nor a math, statistics, finance, physics, nor other quant major), and I think it is a very good idea to do so for preparation for a PhD in economics. No guarantees that it will get you in to a top X school (x being an element of your choice from the set {5, 10, 20, 30, 50, 100}), however, but it will certainly expose you to the thinking that economists employ.

That said, your biggest outstanding issue right now is your GRE quant score. The general consensus on this forum is that if you have less than a 780, you should retake. Also, if your MSc program allows it, try to take a couple of graduate math courses. Doing so seems to boost your chances. Hope that helps!

trainwreck
11-05-2010, 02:58 AM
You can come to Canada for a Masters in Econ. They are sometimes fully funded (in the case of QueensU, UWO and Doctoral Stream UofToronto) or at least somewhat funded (UBC). Unlike the masters in the US these masters actually help in getting into PhD Economics programs.