PDA

View Full Version : Will the low scores in these courses hurt much?

achillisharry
11-06-2010, 02:53 AM
I've got a B in complex analysis, principals of economics, history of economic thoughts, introduction to statistics and functional analysis.
And my scores in real analysis and measure theory is also below 90 (the course is pretty harsh, I rank top 20% in these two courses).
Could I remedy these by high scores in intermediate micro, advanced micro as well as some advanced macro courses?
Could I remedy the low scores in complex analysis and functional analysis by high scores in courses such as PDE, ODE, abstract algebra, topology, etc?
I know a low score in some courses would reduce overall GPA, are there any other harms?
Thanks a lot.
I extremely worried about my scores, especially in certain courses.

petecheese
11-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Depends on where you are applying. I think those Bs will probably hurt you a lot in the top10 schools. Not so much the farther down you go.

Charis
11-07-2010, 04:35 AM
I think everything in life is relative. And as an earlier poster said it really depends on where you're applying. In general, yes B's hurt your profile. Granted, I don't think the B's in the principals or history of economic thought actually matter very much as it's easy to show you have the capability through taking intermediate econ and high grades in other econ courses. The math, though, is harder since you've got a bit more of a track record is seems of being far better than average but less than stellar.

P.S. it seems to have been implied elsewhere on TM and I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of it, but it sounds like schools aren't interested in GPA unless something went seriously wrong. I.e. it doesn't matter what your grades outside math and econ were and what your lower level econ and to a certain extent math grades were.