PDA

View Full Version : Profile Evaluation - Oxford MPhil, LSE MSc???

cwru
11-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi everyone

This is my first actual post on these forums (I've researched the collected wisdom here before, though), and I was hoping someone could give me a hint as to my chances at a few programs and let me know if I'm looking in the right places...

I've posted my profile below, but there's a couple notes to make:
*My GPA is dragged down significantly by a pair of C's in Engineering (materials science and I did not get along), and there are a couple repeated grades in philosophy (another subject I did not get along with :-).
*I'm absolutely certain I want to get an Econ Masters; not at all certain about PhD. Ultimately, I don't think I could do research for the rest of my life, but I love econ nonetheless. My plan is to find a IBanking or possibly Consulting job later on....

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Ranked 30-45 undergrad, US
Majors: Economics (Dept honors), Political Science (dept honors); minor: Math
Undergrad GPA: 3.65
GRE: 800Q, 630V, 6.0AW
Math Courses: Calc I & II (AP), Calc III (B), DiffEq (B), Stats for Engineers (A), Linear Algebra (in progress), Probability (in progress)
Econ Courses: ............everything (16 total, a couple Bs, mostly for attendance)
Other Courses: 10 Poliscis, a few philosophies, some physics, some programming
Letters of Recommendation: Four very good letters:
*Thesis Advisor: Harvard, knows me well
*Dean of Undergraduate Studies (and Econ prof I TAed for): Harvard, knows me very well
*Int'l Trade Prof: Harvard, I was one of his best students and one of his TAs
*Behavioral Econ Prof: Duke, I did RA work for him
Research Experience: RAed for two professors, one in behavioral econ, the other as a consultant (combination RA work and econ consulting); part-time during the year and over the summer.
Finishing my honors thesis on historical causes of conquest in agrarian societies; did past projects in behavioral econ (not as good).
Teaching Experience: TAed for two professors, three semesters (Intermediate micro, intro micro, intro macro); peer tutor for all other econ classes (through university office)
Research Interests: Industrial organization, economic history
SOP: not written yet........

Application list:
Oxford MPhil
Oxford MSc Financial Economics
LSE EME
LSE MSc Econ
LSE MSc Finance and Economics
UCL MSc Econ
Cambridge MPhil Econ

NYU MA Applied Econ
UM MA Applied Econ

Thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated!

petecheese
11-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't see any problem in getting into any. Your main problems are going to be related to funding, given that most of your schools are in the UK. Try applying to some external funding for those.

cwru
11-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Thank you! Also, out of curiosity how do the Oxford MPhil and LSE Econ MSc compare in terms of admissions difficulty?

cwru
11-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Any other thoughts? I'm really interested/concerned about Oxford's MPhil.... I was trying to figure out my chances, and I (after browsing the UC-Davis [ranked comparably to Oxford] and Northwestern figures), found out that Davis and Northwestern each accept about 100 people to get 25 spots (4:1 yield rate. I reasoned that Oxford is probably similar, if possibly with an even lower yield [b/c overseas funding is difficult], and, therefore, Oxford must take 200 to 250 people to fill 50-60 spots. They say on their website that they take 450 applications (ish), which means they select 50-60% of their applicant pool......................

I really really really want to know I'm in that 50%????? I would love to go to Oxford!!!! :)

Any other help?

contextual
05-29-2015, 03:29 AM
Hey cwru, what was the outcome of your applications? Which programs did you get in to and did you end up attending one? I am thinking of applying to the Oxford and LSE programs you listed above and would love to see where I stand.

ZYX
05-31-2015, 04:11 PM
contextual,
Although using the search function is good and it can be very useful, crwu was last active on the 15th April 2011, and so I think it is virtually guaranteed that you will not get an answer.

If you wish to compare your profile to others to see where you stand, go through all the 'Profile and Results' threads, and keep a look out for profiles that are very similar to yours and where they were accepted/declined. It's worth remembering the most useful profiles will be the most recent ones, as admissions are competitive and the required standard to be accepted can (and does) change over time.

cwru
06-01-2015, 08:45 AM
contextual,
Although using the search function is good and it can be very useful, crwu was last active on the 15th April 2011, and so I think it is virtually guaranteed that you will not get an answer.

If you wish to compare your profile to others to see where you stand, go through all the 'Profile and Results' threads, and keep a look out for profiles that are very similar to yours and where they were accepted/declined. It's worth remembering the most useful profiles will be the most recent ones, as admissions are competitive and the required standard to be accepted can (and does) change over time.

Amusingly, I am, for some reason, still signed up for email alerts, and thus I can, in fact give a reply to contextual's question. I was accepted to Oxford MSc Financial Economics; Warwick MSc Economics; University College London MSc Economics; and University of Michigan MA Applied Economics. I was declined at London School of Economics. I ultimately attended Oxford and graduated in 2013.

contextual
06-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Amusingly, I am, for some reason, still signed up for email alerts, and thus I can, in fact give a reply to contextual's question. I was accepted to Oxford MSc Financial Economics; Warwick MSc Economics; University College London MSc Economics; and University of Michigan MA Applied Economics. I was declined at London School of Economics. I ultimately attended Oxford and graduated in 2013.

Thanks for the reply cwru. I have a number of questions for you and would really appreciate it if you could answer them for me.

Were you able to secure funding for the degree? What percentage of the class received funding from Oxford? Also, in case you are aware, could you let me know what Oxford looks at when deciding who they provide funding to?
In your original post, you had indicated that you were unsure about whether you wanted to go on to get a Ph.D or get a job after the Msc programs. What did you end up doing?
What percentage of the class went on to Oxford's D.Phil program and what was the required percentage in the exams to be allowed on to the D.Phil?
Did students go to Ph.D programs in other institutions following the Msc?
Do students going to industry view the Msc as their last degree or do they anticipate having to go back to get an MBA to advance their careers in the future? I interned at an economic consulting firm that brought in Msc students as Analysts / Senior Analysts. These people were expected to get an MBA or Ph.D if they wanted to get promoted to the Associate level. I am wondering if this is a phenomenon that only occurs in the US where MBAs seem to be very prevalent.