PDA

View Full Version : Some good schools between 20-40?

sunyuzheng
11-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey guys.

Do someone know some "good" schools for safety choice ranked between 20-40? Some quality for "good" are like, easy to get into, very good at one field, nice location/environment, rich, getting better every year, etc.

It's very important and would be very helpful! Thanks!

uad
11-11-2010, 07:29 PM
it depends
what's your profile
your research experience(s)
your GPA
your GRE

petecheese
11-11-2010, 08:03 PM
No such thing as "easy to get into" these days. You have to venture outside the top 50 to start finding schools like that. Anyway the poster above is right. It depends on your profile and tastes

sunyuzheng
11-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Ahh this post is not about me looking for a fit school. This is a post where someone knows there is a "gem" can tell the rest of us about it. I'll drop the "easy to fit in" as a quality, but that was just an example~

petecheese
11-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Just try look for large programs. That's the best advice i could give. however, larger programs tend to fund a lower percentage of their applicants.

AREStudentHopeful
11-12-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm wondering if the OP is thinking of schools like Iowa St., UIUC, schools like that that seem to be under-appreciated but very good in certain aspects. While I don't know how much one could call these programs "hidden gems" since they seem to be "common knowledge" these days (I'll let everyone think of that term what they will), there are a few like that that would be good targets in that range.

sunyuzheng
11-13-2010, 04:06 AM
I'm wondering if the OP is thinking of schools like Iowa St., UIUC, schools like that that seem to be under-appreciated but very good in certain aspects. While I don't know how much one could call these programs "hidden gems" since they seem to be "common knowledge" these days (I'll let everyone think of that term what they will), there are a few like that that would be good targets in that range.
Great! Could you please tell more options and their strengthes?

tm_member
11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Hey guys.

Do someone know some "good" schools for safety choice ranked between 20-40? Some quality for "good" are like, easy to get into, very good at one field, nice location/environment, rich, getting better every year, etc.

It's very important and would be very helpful! Thanks!

I can't honestly think of any school that fits all those criteria and I spent two years researching schools.

You need to narrow down what you mean by "very good at one field", I mean almost all schools in the top 50 are very good in at least one field. Also, what is a nice area to you? Nice weather? Mountainous? Remote? Urban?

There's no school that is "easy" to get into in the top 50, it's all relative.

I guess with such a large applicant pool, it's hard for a hidden gem to stay hidden for more than 5 minutes.

michaelmas
11-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Safety school between 20 and 40?

If your safety school is in that range you don't need any safety.

econm
11-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm wondering if the OP is thinking of schools like Iowa St., UIUC, schools like that that seem to be under-appreciated but very good in certain aspects. While I don't know how much one could call these...

Iowa State and Illinois have drastically different programs, and Illinois is much harder to get into.

The Big10 is good as a whole, with essentially four different tiers within the group of 11 schools.

Top: Northwestern, Michigan
Next: Minnesotta, Wisconsin
Then: Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa
And: Purdue, Indiana

The 'Then' category has USNWR rankings ranging 27-34, and Purdue and Indiana are ranked 42 and 46, respectively.

Iowa State leans heavily agricultural, the ag econ school and the econ school are in the same dept, and a USNWR ranking of 54.
Illinois is ranked 31, notably ahead of Arizona State, UC Davis, Vanderbilt, and Georgetown.

SunYuzheng, if you want some solid programs in the 20 to 40 range, I would disregard the private schools. While talking to my letter writers about schools, they told me that a public school with a large program is much easier to get into than a private school that is ranked considerably worse. I guess all private schools are ranked top 15 in their own eyes. UT Austin is very strong, as are all the programs I mentioned above; I would look there first.

AREStudentHopeful
11-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I'd agree that they are drastically different programs, I was just thinking of schools that some posters here seem not to have thought of in the past within the range they're looking for. As has been stated on the thread, it's kind of hard to look for a "general safety/gem" without knowing the OP's interests or preferences. Those were just two off the top of my head that people seem to overlook on these boards sometimes.

sunyuzheng
11-13-2010, 07:24 PM
I can't honestly think of any school that fits all those criteria and I spent two years researching schools.

You need to narrow down what you mean by "very good at one field", I mean almost all schools in the top 50 are very good in at least one field. Also, what is a nice area to you? Nice weather? Mountainous? Remote? Urban?

There's no school that is "easy" to get into in the top 50, it's all relative.

I guess with such a large applicant pool, it's hard for a hidden gem to stay hidden for more than 5 minutes.

Haa thanks!

Actually what I mean is any one criteria would make a good school, 2 would be great, definitely no need to fit all criteria :)

My opinion about a good locations is not far away from a big city but have nice environment.

The "hidden gem" means maybe a school at some point is as good as some top 20 schools but due to the competition and opinion on the ranking institutes are not qualified as such.

Thanks for your time!

sunyuzheng
11-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Iowa State and Illinois have drastically different programs, and Illinois is much harder to get into.

The Big10 is good as a whole, with essentially four different tiers within the group of 11 schools.

Top: Northwestern, Michigan
Next: Minnesotta, Wisconsin
Then: Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa
And: Purdue, Indiana

The 'Then' category has USNWR rankings ranging 27-34, and Purdue and Indiana are ranked 42 and 46, respectively.

Iowa State leans heavily agricultural, the ag econ school and the econ school are in the same dept, and a USNWR ranking of 54.
Illinois is ranked 31, notably ahead of Arizona State, UC Davis, Vanderbilt, and Georgetown.

SunYuzheng, if you want some solid programs in the 20 to 40 range, I would disregard the private schools. While talking to my letter writers about schools, they told me that a public school with a large program is much easier to get into than a private school that is ranked considerably worse. I guess all private schools are ranked top 15 in their own eyes. UT Austin is very strong, as are all the programs I mentioned above; I would look there first.

WOW thank you so much!

unitroot
11-16-2010, 08:27 AM
That's because every Ivy League wanna be treats schools like Brown, Rice, CMU, Rochester, and Emory as their "safety". In the end, some private schools get a ridiculous amount of apps because of this. I wouldn't be discouraged by that though. If you think they're a good fit, go for it. They're looking for people who would be a good fit for their program.

sunyuzheng
11-22-2010, 06:33 AM
That's because every Ivy League wanna be treats schools like Brown, Rice, CMU, Rochester, and Emory as their "safety". In the end, some private schools get a ridiculous amount of apps because of this. I wouldn't be discouraged by that though. If you think they're a good fit, go for it. They're looking for people who would be a good fit for their program.

good advice! thanks!

enginecon
11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
If I am not mistaken, I was the one who started talking about "hidden gems", although I don't believe there is any "hidden" gem in the 20-40 range (with the possible exception of Wyoming (visit their home page)). See:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/126860-programs-better-than-you-think.html#post825445

asquare
11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
If I am not mistaken, I was the one who started talking about "hidden gems", although I don't believe there is any "hidden" gem in the 20-40 range (with the possible exception of Wyoming (visit their home page)). See:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/126860-programs-better-than-you-think.html#post825445
Eh, don't flatter yourself ;) People have been discussing "hidden gems" before you even joined TestMagic! genericname started a thread about this (and yes, even used the term) several months ago. You might find that discussion useful: http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/122363-slept-programs-2010-field-rankings.html