PDA

View Full Version : Duke AM in economics VS LSE MS economics & Oxford MPhil

yangyangwilliam
11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

Can some help me compare Duke's AM program against LSE and Oxford master's program in terms of placing students to top PhD programs in the US? I looked at Duke's placement information and it seems to me that some people went to top business school PhD programs but the majority ended up heading for a 20-40 ECON PhD. I don't have complete information of LSE or Oxford but a lot of people say they have very good placment. How good then?

Also, since the master's program at LSE is a one year program, I just don't understand why it will add much value to application to PhD since you need to start your application right after or even before you get to LSE. How could faculty member possibly write a strong letter for you when you haven't even got a single grade at LSE?

My last question is, how many non-EU nationals get financial aid from LSE every year?

Thank you!

achillisharry
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
same ask

michaelmas
11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
My ignorance and prejudice speaking, but I have a feeling US universities place much less ambition into their MA programs than Europeans.

Top US economics departments that do offer stand-alone MA's do not allow student overlap with their PhD programs. These are seperate programs (PhD and MA), you're not getting "taught" the same material, and the rigour is much less in the MA programs.

Top European economics departments, however, do offer stand-alone MA programs which usually completely overlap with the first one or two years of their PhD programs.

Someone's definitely gonna show me contrary examples, but this is how I see it.

trainwreck
11-12-2010, 09:49 PM
While the LSE will probably not add anything solid to your profile while you are applying, it will act as a strong signal of your potential. As with Oxford its a two years program which is very similar to the first two years of US PhDs so that should help.

baj393
11-13-2010, 04:48 AM
I went through a year of the Duke MA program. It is excellent. The goal of the program is placement in top PhD programs. Some graduates go on to do Finance rather than Economics though. Placement is generally at top 20-40 in economics. From time to time in the past there were a couple of placements in top 15 or so.
The program is fairly flexible and can be rigorous depending on your specific course load. You can take PhD courses if you want to, so don't be worried that you are limited in what you can take. In fact, it is common for MA students to take PhD micro their 2nd year. It has about 50 entering students each year, so it is quite large. That was one issue I had with it.

However, overall it was great. I was very happy with the program and loved Duke. Great school with lots of opportunities if you are interested in policy, environmental economics, development, or international issues (health, etc.).

baj393
11-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Yangyang, your PM box is full! Can't respond to your message. Please empty it. Thanks.

yangyangwilliam
11-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Sorry sorry!! Just cleaned up my mailbox!! Thank you!

infectious
11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I went through a year of the Duke MA program. It is excellent. The goal of the program is placement in top PhD programs. Some graduates go on to do Finance rather than Economics though. Placement is generally at top 20-40 in economics. From time to time in the past there were a couple of placements in top 15 or so.
The program is fairly flexible and can be rigorous depending on your specific course load. You can take PhD courses if you want to, so don't be worried that you are limited in what you can take. In fact, it is common for MA students to take PhD micro their 2nd year. It has about 50 entering students each year, so it is quite large. That was one issue I had with it.

However, overall it was great. I was very happy with the program and loved Duke. Great school with lots of opportunities if you are interested in policy, environmental economics, development, or international issues (health, etc.).

what is the percentage of people getting financial aid at Duke's MA? and how much aid do they provide to international students?

baj393
11-17-2010, 12:24 AM
I would say about 30-50% get partial tuition waviers in a given year. That was my experience. I do not know how much of that went to US students and how much went to international stuents.

Needless to say, whatever they will give you, it will NOT be enough to cover all your costs. You will have to pay money out of pocket. Do keep this in mind.

However, the waivers are better than nothing, for sure.

achillisharry
11-17-2010, 10:25 AM
What about Micro-theory? Are there any faculties who is good at micro-theory? Could you please recommend one or two? And about LSE, which master program is better, I believe they offer several master programs, some will be completed in 1 year, and some 2 years.