PDA

View Full Version : I have a merit from LSE Msc Econ. Where should I apply ??

twist701
11-17-2010, 05:11 AM
I graduated with a merit from LSE Msc Econ last year. I have about a year of research experience and have 3 semi-strong recommendation letters. I have a math ug degree from a state university with a gpa of 3.75.

I am not too sure where I should apply. Does anyone have any placement history of LSE Msc Econ students ?? With a merit, do I have any chance for top 10 ??

Thank you so much !!!!!!

twist701
11-18-2010, 01:35 AM
can someone please help out ?? :(

elcapitano
11-18-2010, 09:58 AM
With a merit, do I have any chance for top 10 ??

Probably not, LSE require a distinction and they probably go easier on their own students than other similarly ranked schools.

I believe a Merit can cover quite a range of performance. If you just missed out on a distinction then schools in the mid-teens might be possible. If you just scraped a Merit then schools around 30 might be where you want to look. You should ask someone at LSE with experience of these things...

petecheese
11-18-2010, 10:53 AM
The reason why people can't answer you is because most don't understand what you mean by merit (including me). Is it distinction? high distinction? Also what is your Gre score?

chisquared
11-18-2010, 05:32 PM
There are three classifications of graduates in LSE's MSc programs: distinction, merit, and pass. (If you count fail, that's four, but you don't really get a degree in that instance.)

Just to clarify for people who aren't familiar with the system. As for advice for the OP: I don't really have any, sorry. Your best bet is probably to ask your professors/lecturers.

twist701
11-19-2010, 01:18 AM
My overall grade is 67 so i missed distinction by 3 points. We are allowed to continue on to the PhD program at LSE only with a distinction (overall 70% or above). The professors and advisors always talk about the top 5 schools but I am sure i cant get into any of them.

Anyone else have any advices for me? My GRE Scores are 800Q 460V 4AW.

asquare
11-19-2010, 01:45 AM
My overall grade is 67 so i missed distinction by 3 points. We are allowed to continue on to the PhD program at LSE only with a distinction (overall 70% or above). The professors and advisors always talk about the top 5 schools but I am sure i cant get into any of them.

Anyone else have any advices for me? My GRE Scores are 800Q 460V 4AW.
I don't have any specific knowledge about placements for LSE students. However, I doubt you have a chance at a top-10 school. Here is my reasoning.

LSE is not a top-10 program. Your scores are not good enough to get into LSE's Ph.D. program. Therefore (by transitivity ;) ) your scores are not good enough for you to expect to get in to another top-10 program. I doubt that your professors at LSE would strongly recommend you for a top-10 program if they are not willing to admit you to their own program.

Your best option is to speak to your professors about your options. They will be able to tell you were other students with similar grades and qualifications have placed, and they'll have more accurate information than those of us speculating in this thread. They are accustomed to handling questions like this, and it's perfectly appropriate to ask them!

postgradecon
11-19-2010, 05:16 AM
For what it's worth, I got on a waiting list at NYU (never admitted) and admitted to UBC with a pass in the LSE MSc economics.

twist701
11-20-2010, 04:58 AM
For what it's worth, I got on a waiting list at NYU (never admitted) and admitted to UBC with a pass in the LSE MSc economics.

thanks for your reply. Did you apply with ur final grade on hand or without? do u know where some of ur classmates went for PhD ?

twist701
11-20-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't have any specific knowledge about placements for LSE students. However, I doubt you have a chance at a top-10 school. Here is my reasoning.

LSE is not a top-10 program. Your scores are not good enough to get into LSE's Ph.D. program. Therefore (by transitivity ;) ) your scores are not good enough for you to expect to get in to another top-10 program. I doubt that your professors at LSE would strongly recommend you for a top-10 program if they are not willing to admit you to their own program.

Your best option is to speak to your professors about your options. They will be able to tell you were other students with similar grades and qualifications have placed, and they'll have more accurate information than those of us speculating in this thread. They are accustomed to handling questions like this, and it's perfectly appropriate to ask them!

i will definitely ask my professors and advisors for their opinions but I also want to get some opinions from people in here. Thanks for your reply too !!