PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian Program Consultant is open for business.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Canuckonomist
11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
I've had a few TMers PM me regarding Queen's, Toronto, and other canadian master's options, so I figured it'd be best to open a thread for those interested in hearing from one student who has been through the canadian application process for both Master's and Ph.D, and has gone through a Master's (and is currently in their Ph.D here). Of course, the information will be noisy, as my advice is only one data point.

I'll also relay things that Canadian professors and adcoms have said to me over my years. I won't list everything I've heard, but you may see them inserted as anecdotal evidence in my responses.

Best,

Canuck

petecheese
11-19-2010, 03:48 PM
okay here is one question. I am planning on applying directly to the phd program at toronto as i already have a master. However i am wondering if international students have a huge disadvantage compared to canadians and american. Is it true that they only take like 2 oe 3 internationals directly into the PHD. Do you have any info about this and exactly how many total students are accepted into the PHD. Do you think it would be safer for me to apply to the masters(doctoral stream)?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but you offered to help :)

corduroy
11-19-2010, 05:18 PM
If one's goal is a terminal master's degree, how well equipped is a graduate from the Queen's program to attain professional/agency employment, either in the US or Canada?

How long is the Queen's MA program? I know three full-time terms and one of a thesis, essay, or oral defense is required for graduation, but is this a 12- or 18- or 24-month process?

Do all MA students get funded? Are all funding packages uniform ($5K tuition "leveler" and TA package), or is there variability in what one can expect in the way of financial aid?

That's all for now...I'm sure I'll have more.

Canuckonomist
11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
okay here is one question. I am planning on applying directly to the phd program at toronto as i already have a master. However i am wondering if international students have a huge disadvantage compared to canadians and american. Is it true that they only take like 2 oe 3 internationals directly into the PHD. Do you have any info about this and exactly how many total students are accepted into the PHD. Do you think it would be safer for me to apply to the masters(doctoral stream)?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, but you offered to help :)

1. I don't know if it would be 'safer' to apply to the DSMA than the Ph.D. It really depends on the quality of your master's. If it was from some unknown school in China (for example), you may want a Canadian master's first. My supervisor got both her B.A and M.A @ Dongbei, and still had to do a master's @ McMaster before doing her Ph.D @ Queen's. Our master's are short, though, 1 year in total. You're only at a disadvantage if your M.A isn't that rigorous, and rightly so, because they want you to succeed. I'd imagine some of the 'terminal master's' in the U.S would fare worse than a top M.A from China or IIT (India).

2. I don't know what the policy is for admitting International students into the Ph.D, but rumour is that it's capped at 20% or something like that. I don't think that's true, because I think it grew out of the last two years of admission statistics, and nothing more. In terms of # of students accepted to the Ph.D, I can tell you that the incoming class of Toronto is usually 15-17, and the incoming class @ Queen's is usually 10-13.

If one's goal is a terminal master's degree, how well equipped is a graduate from the Queen's program to attain professional/agency employment, either in the US or Canada?

How long is the Queen's MA program? I know three full-time terms and one of a thesis, essay, or oral defense is required for graduation, but is this a 12- or 18- or 24-month process?

Do all MA students get funded? Are all funding packages uniform ($5K tuition "leveler" and TA package), or is there variability in what one can expect in the way of financial aid?

That's all for now...I'm sure I'll have more.

1. Very well equipped. Our placement officers are great, and very well connected. In my MA year @ Queen's, everyone got a job who wanted one, a number of them in the public sector in canada (Federal/Provincial Gov't, Bank of Canada) as well as 2 students @ GrantThorton and 1 @ Deloitte, all three in transfer pricing. I can't say anything about Toronto, though.

2. The program is 12 months. 8 months of course work, and 4 months of a supervised essay. Noone does the Oral exam (no paper, just a theory exam) and no one does the thesis, as they aren't really worth it. The paper only takes 3 months, usually, and you're done by the end of July. Some finish by end of june, but if you slack off, you could be there until December. It's all about work ethic, and how bad you want it.

3. All MA students are funded with AT LEAST a TAship, and I believe internationals get a tuition-leveller, so at the end of the day, you get at minimum tuition plus $2,000, but don't quote me on that exact figure. I think the median student gets tuition plus $5000, and some top students will get tuition plus $10,000.

Happy to help.

whatodo
11-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for doing this.

Do you have ANY ideas on where it's possible to find admissions standards...statistics, for any Canadian programs? I'm coming from a not-honours bachelor's and hoping to get in with Qualifying Year, at Mcgill, Montréal and others, but have no idea if I'm competitive at all.

Also, do you know of anyone who's done QY-type programs? Good experiences?

Elliephant
11-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for doing this.

Heartily seconded. You've already answered oodles of questions for me, so I'm set, but I imagine this thread will see a lot of activity from other applicants.

Canuckonomist
11-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Thanks for doing this.
Do you have ANY ideas on where it's possible to find admissions standards...statistics, for any Canadian programs? I'm coming from a not-honours bachelor's and hoping to get in with Qualifying Year, at Mcgill, Montréal and others, but have no idea if I'm competitive at all. Also, do you know of anyone who's done QY-type programs? Good experiences?

Happy to help. In terms of your question, that's a special case, my dear friend. I don't know the stats or admission standards on that, but I do have one data point for Queen's. A friend of mine did a quick QY after his 2 BScs -one in Mathematics, and one in physics. Needless to say, he was a really top candidate, and crushed both the QY and the masters (he took Ph.D Micro, in fact, both terms, and was the top student, I believe...) So, if your other degrees are in relevant areas, that's good news. In fact, if you have degrees in Physics, Math, or Engineering, I believe U Western Ontario will take you into their master's without a QY, but to be sure, check their website.

Heartily seconded. You've already answered oodles of questions for me, so I'm set, but I imagine this thread will see a lot of activity from other applicants.

Glad I helped! I don't know if I'll see too many questions, as Canadian applications are much fewer in numbers, but I'll help where I can.

trainwreck
11-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Would you mind if I PM'ed you my questions regarding the undergraduate Econ program at Queens?

Osmanov
11-21-2010, 12:34 AM
1. Very well equipped. Our placement officers are great, and very well connected. In my MA year @ Queen's, everyone got a job who wanted one, a number of them in the public sector in canada (Federal/Provincial Gov't, Bank of Canada) as well as 2 students @ GrantThorton and 1 @ Deloitte, all three in transfer pricing. I can't say anything about Toronto, though.

Job placements are very well, but what about academic placements and education? Can you compare master program of Queen's with UBC (or Toronto, for example) on academical grounds?

trainwreck
11-21-2010, 12:47 AM
^If I am not wrong, he has written somewhere else on these forums that Queens has one of the strongest placements in Canada whereas UBC and UofT have not been doing so well recently. In one of the years, out of 40 masters students, 9 pursued a PhD. Out of these 9 students, 5 of them continued at Queens for their PhD and the other 4 got placed in the top US programs including Stanford (dont remember the others).

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Would you mind if I PM'ed you my questions regarding the undergraduate Econ program at Queens?

Yes you may. I did my undergrad there as well (as you may very well know), so I can offer advice on that.

Osmanov
11-21-2010, 12:51 AM
^If I am not wrong, he has written somewhere else on these forums that Queens has one of the strongest placements in Canada whereas UBC and UofT have not been doing so well recently. In one of the years, out of 40 masters students, 9 pursued a PhD. Out of these 9 students, 5 of them continued at Queens for their PhD and the other 4 got placed in the top US programs including Stanford (dont remember the others).

Really? I searched other topics, but probably this is a point I missed. Thank you for informing.

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Job placements are very well, but what about academic placements and education? Can you compare master program of Queen's with UBC (or Toronto, for example) on academical grounds?

Someone's been using the search function on my previous posts, or following me closely! Thanks for digging that up, because I was just going to post it again!

To correct the numbers alittle:

- 35 students in the class
- 10 pursued a Ph.D
- Placements were:
(1) Guelph (Personal reasons, but was admitted to Queen's)
(3) Queen's
(2) Toronto (I was also admitted to BU and Queen's)
(1) Northwestern (had a list of other top admits like Stanford, UCLA, Caltech, NWU)
(1) NYU (Also admitted to NWU, LSE too, I believe)
(1) Hebrew U
(1) Boston College (also got into Duke, JHU)

All who ended up attending Canadian programs (except myself) only applied to Canadian programs, so it's not like they were rejected outright from the US. We do very well.

trainwreck
11-21-2010, 12:59 AM
^hmmm then I think it was someone else who posted what I said. I was looking around to get an idea of how Queens is.

Osmanov
11-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Thank you for taking your time. Since you've been to both schools, you should be one of the most suitable people to answer that question.

If you don't mind, I have another one. On the webpage of U of T, it says that students should choose a sequence (micro, macro or econometrics). Other than their chosen sequence, students take two MA core courses on other two fields (and some electives, in addition). My question is about this, do you know when do students choose their sequences - is it just after arrival? And secondly, do you think would it really differ (for future academic life) to choose one or another ( especially if the person is indecisive between two)?

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 01:09 AM
You choose upon arrival, from what I recall.

In terms of what you should choose, I can't stress enough that it be Micro. Maybe econometrics if that is really your thing, but Macro is so different everywhere (and it's usually the hardest one here,) that it doesn't send a great signal to the adcoms (at least that's the consensus here @ TM). Micro is MWG EVERYWHERE so doing well in it at least sends some kind of signal. Also, it's the one all the other DSMAs take, so you'd have people to work with. It's the Nash Equilibrium solution.

trainwreck
11-21-2010, 01:15 AM
^What's TM? And what's DSMA?

Osmanov
11-21-2010, 01:16 AM
:hmm:I am not really a micro-loving person, but I will consider this if I get admitted. Thank you for your answer.

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 01:19 AM
^What's TM? And what's DSMA?

TM = Testmagic. It's a short for this Forum.
DSMA = Doctoral-Stream Master of Arts, something that's more-or-less unique to Toronto.

:hmm:I am not really a micro-loving person, but I will consider this if I get admitted. Thank you for your answer.

I get ya, I really do (even though I am, and I really hate macro). It's just something to consider if you care about applying to a Ph.D. We all have to do Micro some time!

trainwreck
11-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Arent these forums called urch? :S

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Arent these forums called urch? :S

Haha. You're right. That must have been my geriatricity talking. When I applied (and I think so in 2009-2010) this forum was still @ urch.com, but I think it was funded by TestMagic, or something to that effect, so we called it TM. If you see asquare's recent posts, or some from jeeves, you'll find that we sometimes refer to it as TM.

EnvDep2011
11-21-2010, 02:17 AM
What are the chances of getting into a PhD program without a masters? I'm applying to various US programs and was thinking of adding UBC. Worth trying, or should I save the application money?

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 02:32 AM
Into a Canadian program without a Master's? I think UWO (Western Ontario) has a direct entry Ph.D, but you'd have to be absolutely stellar, and would have had to do some grad micro/macro/metrics, amongst other things, to get into any other Canadian Ph.D right away. I'd say your chances of cracking the top 20 U.S are better.

Elliephant
11-21-2010, 02:49 AM
What are the chances of getting into a PhD program without a masters? I'm applying to various US programs and was thinking of adding UBC. Worth trying, or should I save the application money?

They admit people without MAs very, very rarely. We did have one guy from the forum get in last year (don't remember who it was), but this is not a common occurrence. Basically, I'd say your chances are slim unless your profile is worthy of the top 15, in which case I don't see the point in going to UBC in the first place. I've also been told by one applicant that the department sometimes allows people to apply for the PhD, and have the application bumped down to the MA application if they're not accepted. But you'd have to confirm that with UBC.

mrdoodler
11-21-2010, 04:46 AM
You choose upon arrival, from what I recall.

In terms of what you should choose, I can't stress enough that it be Micro. Maybe econometrics if that is really your thing, but Macro is so different everywhere (and it's usually the hardest one here,) that it doesn't send a great signal to the adcoms (at least that's the consensus here @ TM). Micro is MWG EVERYWHERE so doing well in it at least sends some kind of signal. Also, it's the one all the other DSMAs take, so you'd have people to work with. It's the Nash Equilibrium solution.

Is it allowed to take courses in other departments like mathematics and statistics ?

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Is it allowed to take courses in other departments like mathematics and statistics ?

I believe so, if it is deemed relevant towards your degree. At Queen's, we were allowed to substitute one or two (I can't remember how many) econ electives for courses that were deemed related to our master's by the graduate chair. I, and one other student took 'Stochastic Dynamic Programming', something that has been very helpful towards Macro, and other courses.

BJE
11-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow, that is encouraging. Were these kids rock stars? Obviously top of the MA class, but >>95% or what? I think I can get out of here with ~90% ... but that's just judging from midterms, assignments and my overall comfort level with the material. I need to take 8 months to finish an employment contract after the thesis this summer, but this is amazing ... my applications will be going out next fall I guess.

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Were we rockstars? Not really (Well, I like to think I'm a rockstar, search up Maestro and the Muse, and you'll find our album!). The guy who got into NWU and Stanford is, without a doubt one of the best students. I was just above average in my master's, as was the Duke/BC student, and same with most of the students admitted to Queen's, Toronto. The guy who got into NYU was a pretty good student, so perhaps he was in between us and the NWU guy. Truth is, you don't NEED to be a rock star, but it helps. I mean, just look at Randy Wright.

Elliephant
11-21-2010, 03:10 PM
you don't NEED to be a rock star, but it helps.

Hilarious :D Don't forget us jazz and classical folks.

Canuckonomist
11-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Hilarious :D Don't forget us jazz and classical folks.

It's true. If you're a jazz or classical musician, you have it made. Most profs are into that sort of stuff. Frank Milne is a huge classical buff, and Frank Mathewson is a 'jazz nut' as he calls himself.

Elliephant
11-21-2010, 03:41 PM
It's true. If you're a jazz or classical musician, you have it made. Most profs are into that sort of stuff. Frank Milne is a huge classical buff, and Frank Mathewson is a 'jazz nut' as he calls himself.

This isn't strictly relevant to grad school, but Norman Riddell (big, big fish in Canadian public policy and an economist) briefly flirted with the idea of a career as a concert pianist. He still indulges his colleagues occasionally by playing impromptu shows at conference dinners. Lots of people who are good at math are also good at music, and I don't think I need to talk about what the former means for economics.

Edit: I'm sorry, I will stop hijacking the thread now. But Canadians = cool = large proportion of musicians.

whatdoido
11-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey Canuckonomist, I was just wondering, if my research experience in undergrad. is a little less than what I need and I'm thinking about a master's program, at which one in Canada would I have the best chance of securing a research assistant position while I'm there.

Canuckonomist
11-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Hey Canuckonomist, I was just wondering, if my research experience in undergrad. is a little less than what I need and I'm thinking about a master's program, at which one in Canada would I have the best chance of securing a research assistant position while I'm there.

That's a tough question there, mate. It's really specific to the department, and as I recall, most of the Ph.Ds at Toronto (and UBC, so I've heard, but that's only rumour) seem to eat up most of the RA jobs, since @ Toronto, an RAship is part of your guarenteed funding, so you get one first before any MAs. You really have to hunt them out. Queen's has fewer MA and Ph.D students hunting for positions, so I was able to sleuth RA jobs out in my 2nd year and 4th year summers (I skipped 3rd year because I had another job) and in fact, I had two in 4th year. Alan Green was a big time hirer for RAs, but he passed away about a month ago, so that's obviously dried up. The man was rumoured to have had a $100,000 SSHRC grant for economic history projects, so his pockets were endless, money-wise, and he always had great ideas, so the projects were also endless. He'd co-author a lot of papers with his son @ UBC, Dr. David Green. Boy do I miss the old guy.

Can't say anything definitive about UBC, UWO, or the McGill/SFU/McMaster tier, sadly.

Canuck

corduroy
11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Canuck, what would you say the typical MA matriculant's math background is like? Have most incoming students taken Real Analysis? What classes are the most indispensable if one wants to be successful at Queen's?

Coming from America, I'm curious about how exactly health insurance works at Canadian programs. Most American PhD programs offer some sort of subsidized health care, and I haven't seen anything on Queen's website about packages that include insurance. I know Canada has some variant of socialized medicine, but am woefully uninformed on the specifics of their particular system. If admitted, would health insurance be offered through the government, the province, the University, or not at all?

Canuckonomist
11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Canuck, what would you say the typical MA matriculant's math background is like? Have most incoming students taken Real Analysis? What classes are the most indispensable if one wants to be successful at Queen's?

Coming from America, I'm curious about how exactly health insurance works at Canadian programs. Most American PhD programs offer some sort of subsidized health care, and I haven't seen anything on Queen's website about packages that include insurance. I know Canada has some variant of socialized medicine, but am woefully uninformed on the specifics of their particular system. If admitted, would health insurance be offered through the government, the province, the University, or not at all?

1. Check your PM for that, but the short of it is that most students hadn't taken RA for a master's, and it was mostly Calc I/II and III (either explicitly, or as a part of a math for economists) as well as linear algebra (sometimes as part of math for economists). I'd say you're more than prepared.

2. Health insurance is provided through UHIP, which you'll have to pay for when you matriculate. Sometimes it's included in your funding package, though. For specifics, you'd have to contact Allen Head (if he's still the Graduate chair), or better yet, the Grad assistant, Rachel Ferriera. She is a goddess, and will help you with anything you need.

Canuck

corduroy
11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Which finely crafted American microbrew would you prefer as compensation for your efforts in this thread (and your inbox)?

trainwreck
11-22-2010, 08:31 PM
1. Check your PM for that, but the short of it is that most students hadn't taken RA for a master's, and it was mostly Calc I/II and III (either explicitly, or as a part of a math for economists) as well as linear algebra (sometimes as part of math for economists). I'd say you're more than prepared.
Mind sharing with us? :D

Canuckonomist
11-23-2010, 12:19 AM

The 'short of it' was all that was really important in the message. The rest of the specifics can be shared by corduroy if zhe feels comfortable revealling profile specific information.

Elliephant
11-23-2010, 01:07 AM

I can't claim Canuck's expertise on this, but I can add a few data points. I personally know people who were admitted to Toronto and UBC MA with nothing but math for economists (which included up to multivariate calc and intro math stats) and linear algebra. No proof-based courses in sight. And most Canadian econ undergrads don't have analysis, so I can't imagine how any Canadian MA would make it a hard-and-fast requirement (since probably a good half of students are indeed Canadian).

corduroy
11-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Sure.

I completed my undergrad a few years ago at an American institution. I lacked the requisite math and have been taking post-bac classes at a local state-school satellite campus. My math background isn't particularly impressive: Calc I-III (A, A, B+), Sets & Proofs (A-), and Linear Algebra (A anticipated) at the time of application. My undergrad major was economics, and I fared pretty well in the important courses (A's in Intermediate Micro/Macro, A's in Advanced Micro/Macro, A's in all upper-level electives). My undergrad institution doesn't grant a PhD in economics, and that lack of pedigree only adds to my (hopefully irrational) inferiority complex. My GRE scores were solid (800Q, 640V, 4.0AW), and my letters should be enthusiastic, though from less than renowned authors.

Basically, there are enough holes in my application to cause me plenty of unnecessary anxiety. Circumstances have conspired to make my application a very noisy one, and I'm just hoping I can do enough for the adcoms to be able to hone in on whatever signal might actually be there.

manchild
11-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Earlier in the thread, someone asked how likely it is that people are admitted straight to the UBC PhD program without a masters.

There are two people in first year at UBC this year without a masters. One is international. There are some additional requirements that non-masters holders must meet in their first year, but they should not discourage you from applying (although if you ended up with two almost identical offers, they could make a difference on the margin for which one you would accept).

Canuckonomist
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Earlier in the thread, someone asked how likely it is that people are admitted straight to the UBC PhD program without a masters.

There are two people in first year at UBC this year without a masters. One is international. There are some additional requirements that non-masters holders must meet in their first year, but they should not discourage you from applying (although if you ended up with two almost identical offers, they could make a difference on the margin for which one you would accept).

It'd be interesting to find out what the non-master's-holding international student has for qualifications. Perhaps they have something equivalent from their country.

It's nice to have some data points for that, to know that it isn't so hard to do so as it used to be. But the fact that their are 2 students there now who were admitted right away, doesn't rule out the supposition that it'd be easier to crack the top 20 U.S -that is, that these students were good enough to do that, but didn't for personal or other reasons. I say this because I wasn't originally discouraging students because I thought they couldn't make it, but more that unless they REALLY wanted to go to UBC, applying for UBC Ph.D direct-entry was not a 'safety' to not getting into the top-25 U.S, so it'd be a waste of an application as such. That's where my discouragements were laid, and I still maintain that.

manchild
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
It'd be interesting to find out what the non-master's-holding international student has for qualifications. Perhaps they have something equivalent from their country.

It's nice to have some data points for that, to know that it isn't so hard to do so as it used to be. But the fact that their are 2 students there now who were admitted right away, doesn't rule out the supposition that it'd be easier to crack the top 20 U.S -that is, that these students were good enough to do that, but didn't for personal or other reasons. I say this because I wasn't originally discouraging students because I thought they couldn't make it, but more that unless they REALLY wanted to go to UBC, applying for UBC Ph.D direct-entry was not a 'safety' to not getting into the top-25 U.S, so it'd be a waste of an application as such. That's where my discouragements were laid, and I still maintain that.

I have a double degree with honours (5 years all up) from a top Australian University, with one of my degrees having a math major. Certainly, I was less prepared than someone who has come from the UBC masters program (although this is mostly because my program was less targeted towards preparation for a north american PhD program).

On the relative difficulty of getting accepted to US programs, all I can say is that I had an easier time getting into UBC than top 10 US programs.

Canuckonomist
11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I have a double degree with honours (5 years all up) from a top Australian University, with one of my degrees having a math major. Certainly, I was less prepared than someone who has come from the UBC masters program (although this is mostly because my program was less targeted towards preparation for a north american PhD program).

On the relative difficulty of getting accepted to US programs, all I can say is that I had an easier time getting into UBC than top 10 US programs.

Ah, see, you didn't mention that you were one of them. I'm glad that UBC looked at you intently and that you were admitted. So currently it's less difficult than getting into top 10 U.S, but we don't know about sub-10 U.S. It sounds like things have changed @ UBC.

Canuckonomist
11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
I would like this next post to serve as a notice to all that this thread does not mean I will do straight profile evaluations by PM, or by posting in this thread. I don't believe in them, and don't find them useful, nor do I think I am qualified to do so as I have never been on an adcom, nor do I know the up-to-date admissions practices of schools.

Simply, if you ask me to evaluate your profile, from this point on, my response will be 'no' (or nothing, if I don't feel like responding). All other questions are still welcome!

Canuck

P.S: Corduroy, this is not directed at you, or anyone else currently posting to the thread. I've just received a short list of other PE requests from newcomers (post count < 10) and so I'm posting this to stop that.

tangsiuje
11-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Canuckonomist, you spend way too much time here! (I guess it's good someone is tending the kids...)

In terms of what you should choose, I can't stress enough that it be Micro. Maybe econometrics if that is really your thing, but Macro is so different everywhere (and it's usually the hardest one here,) that it doesn't send a great signal to the adcoms (at least that's the consensus here @ TM). Micro is MWG EVERYWHERE so doing well in it at least sends some kind of signal. Also, it's the one all the other DSMAs take, so you'd have people to work with. It's the Nash Equilibrium solution.This question is actually really simple: If you want to do a PhD (at UofT or elsewhere), choose micro. If you want to get a real job, choose metrics. Although a majority of the doctoral stream MAs choose micro, there are usually 2-3 per year choosing metrics. Macro is always strictly dominated.

elcapitano
11-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Our year at UBC didn't do too badly. Of the half of the class I know about (c. 30 people, and I have no reason to think that we were the smarter half - if anything I'd say stupider) we had, as destinations,
(2) UBC - I don't think either applied anywhere else
(1) NYU
(1) LSE
(1) Maryland
(1) Montreal - restricted locational choice for personal reasons
I think that only 6 of us applied to PhD programs. I heard that one guy in the other half of the year got accepted pretty much everywhere but I can't confirm where he ended up.

fexical
11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Dear Canuckonomist,
I am interested in the PhD program in University of Toronto. However, I noticed that they have a small class (10-15 each year) and also a portion of them come directly from Doctoral stream program. Can you please tell me approximately what percent of your class come from the doctoral stream master's program?

In addition, if you have any information about economics PhD programs in UWO and McGill, I really appreciate it if you share it here.

Canuckonomist
11-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Canuckonomist, you spend way too much time here! (I guess it's good someone is tending the kids...)

Oh, Tang, we've missed you around here!

It's great to have you not only policing the organization of my time at work, but also the organization of my time online and at home. Some days I wonder if we were married some night I was drunk and don't remember, and this is why you feel this strong pull to optimize my life. Also, the constant nagging, and the fact that I enduring with a loving smile. We make a great couple.

Dear Canuckonomist,
I am interested in the PhD program in University of Toronto. However, I noticed that they have a small class (10-15 each year) and also a portion of them come directly from Doctoral stream program. Can you please tell me approximately what percent of your class come from the doctoral stream master's program?

In addition, if you have any information about economics PhD programs in UWO and McGill, I really appreciate it if you share it here.

I think 4 of the 16 from my class did. I believe, too, that they were the only students that applied. From my count, too, there were 4 of 13 this year. I don't think they have a ceiling or a floor to the number of students they take in from DSMA. Also, There were up to 18 students in my Ph.D class last year at the peak, but a number chose to leave for personal reasons. Only 3 left due to comps.

I don't have any info on UWO or McGill, but if you have any questions specific to McGill (such as specifics on life as a Ph.D student) I can try to ask one of my McGill colleagues.

fexical
11-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your quick answer. Please ask him about the class size and if they have any ceiling for the number of international students. Besides, from the information in their website, McGill's faculty seem old and small in number. Are they employing any new profs?

spiderman22
11-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi,

I am currently a Canadian student with a rather weak profile. I have posted in the PhD Business Forum and since I'm not allowed to post again here, I have received few replies.

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-business/126900-non-traditional-applicant-please-help.html

I have currently a 3.2 GPA due to bouts of depression which is received suppressed since starting medication this year. I'm already in my third year of UG. I did not get very good marks on my math courses (B-). Which Canadian MA programs do you think would be the best for me? I think UBC, Queen's, and UT would be too difficult (to get in).

Canuckonomist
11-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your quick answer. Please ask him about the class size and if they have any ceiling for the number of international students. Besides, from the information in their website, McGill's faculty seem old and small in number. Are they employing any new profs?

I'll ask, but she's busy a lot these days so it might take a while to get back to you. I don't know if she'll know about the ceiling, but I'll ask.

Hi,

I am currently a Canadian student with a rather weak profile. I have posted in the PhD Business Forum and since I'm not allowed to post again here, I have received few replies.

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-business/126900-non-traditional-applicant-please-help.html

I have currently a 3.2 GPA due to bouts of depression which is received suppressed since starting medication this year. I'm already in my third year of UG. I did not get very good marks on my math courses (B-). Which Canadian MA programs do you think would be the best for me? I think UBC, Queen's, and UT would be too difficult (to get in).

I wish you all the best, spiderman, but I don't do profile evaluations, as noted a few posts earlier. With a 3.2 GPA, however, from UT, I think you might find it hard to gain admission to UBC, Queen's and UT, unless you can mitigate your GPA with explanation of your special case in an SOP, and some better grades to back it up (in harder courses).

Best

Canuck

spiderman22
11-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Do you think I will get into the weak MA programs (SFU, York, McGill)? Are they useful if I do indeed complete them with good grades?

Elliephant
11-25-2010, 04:04 AM
Do you think I will get into the weak MA programs (SFU, York, McGill)? Are they useful if I do indeed complete them with good grades?

My opinion: SFU > McGill >>>>>>> York. If you intend on having an academic career, York is not a good choice, unless you really want to stay in Toronto. I don't know that they've placed anyone in a PhD programme outside their own department in recent years (though, of course, what do I know?).

Canuckonomist
11-25-2010, 06:27 AM

I don't know that they'd be considered 'weak' programs. SFU is on the rise, and McGill is legitimately second tier.

The following is a reason why I don't give profile evaluations, and that's that you've grossly underprovided me with information. My answer depends on your economics background, and your posted profile gives absolutely no information about your grades in important econ courses (intermediate micro/macro, metrics), or if you've even taken them, nor does it give any information on what math courses you've taken -only that you've got a 3.2 GPA which is in Commerce. This can mean anything. You've not said about letters of reference, etc, which are all extremely important. For McGill McMaster and SFU in the second tier, their posted '3.0 GPA minimum' (which I think is now 3.3 for SFU, so you'd be out, there) is for those graduating with an economics BA or something reasonably similar with overlap in the right courses. Simply, in the words of Jerry MacGuire, "Help me, help you."

petecheese
11-25-2010, 12:09 PM
On a side note: Good move that one. Only Tom Cruise movie ever worth watching.

Canuckonomist
11-25-2010, 01:23 PM
On a side note: Good move that one. Only Tom Cruise movie ever worth watching.

You know, I can't agree with that. I enjoyed both minority report and vanilla sky, and his early work, Risky Business. Days of Thunder and A Few Good Men are also classics. He was impressive in Magnolia, and decent in the original Mission Impossible and the Last Samurai. His short role in Tropic Thunder was nothing short of side-splitting.

For a guy that does so much crazy stuff off-scene, it sure hadn't affected his acting. His judgment, however... (and I refer to the decision to do a 4th Mission Impossible).

petecheese
11-25-2010, 02:53 PM
You know, I can't agree with that. I enjoyed both minority report and vanilla sky, and his early work, Risky Business. Days of Thunder and A Few Good Men are also classics. He was impressive in Magnolia, and decent in the original Mission Impossible and the Last Samurai. His short role in Tropic Thunder was nothing short of side-splitting.

For a guy that does so much crazy stuff off-scene, it sure hadn't affected his acting. His judgment, however... (and I refer to the decision to do a 4th Mission Impossible).

True forgot about a few of those. Rainman was also one i enjoyed.

cockadoodledoo
11-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi guys! This thread is exactly what I was looking for. I am still waiting for responses back from a few universities but I figured I could ask my questions here as well. Im going to be frank here and say I have no interest in pursuing a PHD but am looking towards pursuing a MA at a Canadian university. I am just looking to get a decent paying job after I graduate.

A little about myself: I have an undergraduate degree (B.COMM) from a Canadian which I completed about 4 years ago. My final year's GPA was a low B. My marks in econ courses range from C's to B's. I was not a focused student back then and was only concerned with getting by. The only courses I did well on were Statistics, a Stats elective and Econometrics in which I received an A in thoses courses. I know for sure I would be rejected if I were to apply today for grad school.

An idea I was looking into was to retake 6 courses at UofT or York over 2 semesters. I plan on retaking intermediate micro and macro (2 levels) and 2 levels of calculus. The reason for this is 1) I can upgrade my marks and 2) refresh my knowledge as I have forgotten many concepts. I guess my questions are will these classes count towards my final year's GPA? Will they replace the lowest marks I have received in my final year 4 years ago? Is this possible?

What are my realistic chances of getting into MA program by doing this? Since working full time for 4 years I have matured greatly and now feel I have what it takes to study hard and get good marks. Again all I want in the end is a good job.

Canuckonomist
11-25-2010, 11:46 PM
What are my realistic chances of getting into MA program by doing this? Since working full time for 4 years I have matured greatly and now feel I have what it takes to study hard and get good marks. Again all I want in the end is a good job.

I wish I could be helpful to this, but I can't give you accurate answers, as it's a unique question that only schools can answer. That said, look at programs such as McGill and McMaster, which have some reputation on the job market, but aren't as high in the rankings. Rankings tend to relate to their ability to place in a Ph.D -something that doesn't concern you.

EastCoastGuy
11-26-2010, 04:30 AM
Do you have any idea whether Queen's or UofT opens more doors for private section options?

Elliephant
11-26-2010, 04:37 AM
Toronto places quite a few people on Bay Street, according to one of my old classmates who is now at the MA there. However, Queen's has a great reputation both in the private sector and in Ottawa. But if you're really intent on staying in the private sector and have no interest in doing a PhD in the future, I would urge you to consider Toronto's master of financial economics (http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/index.php/index/mfe/), which is joint with Rotman. Their private-sector placements are simply excellent. There's also the York (Schulich) master of finance (http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulich/Schulich_LP4W_LND_WebStation.nsf/page/Master+of+Finance!OpenDocument) that keeps you close to the recruitment action, but that programme is quite new so there is no track record yet.

Canuckonomist
11-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Toronto places quite a few people on Bay Street, according to one of my old classmates who is now at the MA there. However, Queen's has a great reputation both in the private sector and in Ottawa. But if you're really intent on staying in the private sector and have no interest in doing a PhD in the future, I would urge you to consider Toronto's master of financial economics (http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/index.php/index/mfe/), which is joint with Rotman. Their private-sector placements are simply excellent. There's also the York (Schulich) master of finance (http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulich/Schulich_LP4W_LND_WebStation.nsf/page/Master+of+Finance!OpenDocument) that keeps you close to the recruitment action, but that programme is quite new so there is no track record yet.

What zhe said.

Elliephant
11-26-2010, 05:13 AM
What zhe said.

Leave it to Canadians to be diplomatic and inclusive :D I guess that makes me a bad Canadian, since I distribute the "generic he" rather liberally.

danyjtan
11-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Cauckonomist, thanks for this thread.

A TM-er once mentioned on another thread that canadian programs, particularly Queen's, U Toronton and UBC are basically sink or swim style programs. Is that true? Do students collaborate often and study in groups or do most people behave like they are in a zero sum game? How supportive are the faculty? Thanks!

(I'm not saying that sink or swim styles are worse or better, nor am I disputing the integrity of said-TM-er's comments)

Canuckonomist
11-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Glad you're finding it helpful.

I've never heard a single person say that about Queen's. Ever. Not only is it perhaps the most collegial program in Canada, but I'd pit it against most top U.S Ph.D programs for collegiality, and approachability of professors. Toronto has more the 'sink-swim' attitude, as I've heard UBC does, but at least at toronto, you either work together or sink, so most MA students form study groups, and as a result are very tightly knit.

I would dispute the credibility of said TMer's comments if they've called Queen's sink-or-swim. I'd want to know what the heck they were basing that on.

Canuck

paglajogai
11-27-2010, 05:12 AM
hi,I have been following this thread all through..
I am applying for a phd this year in UToronto as well as UBC...
could you tell me about the pros and cons of these two programs?

paglajogai
11-27-2010, 05:15 AM
I know how the tillburg or other popular rankings rank these two courses.but,still I would like to know how you would rank these two phd programs alongside the top20 or top 25 US programs..

Canuckonomist
11-27-2010, 05:17 AM
hi,I have been following this thread all through..
I am applying for a phd this year in UToronto as well as UBC...
could you tell me about the pros and cons of these two programs?

I can give you pros and cons about UToronto in detail, and only a few hear-say things about UBC, but I don't have time to be making laundry lists, so why don't you let me know alittle about what you care about, and I can fish out any pros and cons in those areas. Be as specific as possible, so I can be as helpful as possible.

***For future reference for all TMers asking questions: Please be mindful that I am a past-comp/prelim Ph.D student, and therefore am very busy, therefore I won't answer questions that are very general, so make them specific, and to the point. I'm writing this so as to reserve the right to simply ignore extremely broad queries, because you should have already read this post.***

paglajogai
11-27-2010, 05:33 AM
objection sustained Mr canukonomist
I am specifically interested about:
1.I have a broad range of interests and haven't still made up my mind on my specific interest for phd.
so I would like to know if the programs are balanced overall,for e.g,if utoronto has people doing research in macro,empirical as well as contract theory,game theory..
2.if they are generous in funding or not...I am not aware about the living costs of Vancouver or Toronto
3.how do the placements fare against the top 20 US programs
4.how's the overall academic,social and cultural environment...

Sorry,if I had too many questions...

Canuckonomist
11-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Happy to answer those.

1.I have a broad range of interests and haven't still made up my mind on my specific interest for phd.
so I would like to know if the programs are balanced overall,for e.g,if utoronto has people doing research in macro,empirical as well as contract theory,game theory..
Yes. Toronto is well covered in a number of areas, including the ones you've mentioned. Usually you can find someone in your area.

2.if they are generous in funding or not...I am not aware about the living costs of Vancouver or Toronto
Toronto is pretty reasonable with funding. I've been able to live on what I'm given, and bank about 10K a year.

Toronto is getting better, but they place mainly @ first and second tier Canadian schools. If you want to teach in Canada, they're great. I'm sure, too, that you could get placement @ some of the third (maybe second) tier programs in the states, but I think we don't have data on that because not enough people choose to go there.

The academic side is a little colder than some of the more collegial programs like Queen's, but things warm up the more you move up. Socially, that's up to your year. If you're active in trying to get together, and plan outings, you'll have a great time. My year was much more social than past years. Culturally, it's Toronto, so we're very diverse. You name it, and that culture is represented (though we are low on aboriginal canadians.)

paglajogai
11-27-2010, 05:47 AM
and...could you answer the questions for UBC?

Canuckonomist
11-27-2010, 01:48 PM
1.I have a broad range of interests and haven't still made up my mind on my specific interest for phd.so I would like to know if the programs are balanced overall,for e.g,if utoronto has people doing research in macro,empirical as well as contract theory,game theory..
I don't know much about UBC's fields, so the best way to do this is to peruse their website.

In terms of funding, I remember them being stingy at the master's level. That's all I can say

Again, I don't know much about UBC's placements, so the best way to do this is to peruse their website, or e-mail the coordinator

Hearsay: We had a guy @ Queen's transfer from UBC. He said that the academic and social atmosphere was rather cold in first year, and that there were too many first year students (I don't remember the number), but I can't be specific about much of this. Culturally, Vancouver has a large Chinese/HK/Korean/Japanese population, but also has relatively broad range of other cultures.

canadian econ
11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Canuckonomist,

Which schools would you recommend if I'm interested in econometrics? Outside of the top tier it seems hard to determine which schools have good econometrics profs. Also, it seems that SFU,York,Mcgill are considered 2nd tier, I'm curious is there such a thing as third tier schools? I'd like to apply to super safeties next cycle, just because I'd rather go to low level MA than enter the job force.

Thanks

I forgot to mention for top tier schools I'd prefer to go to UWO or Queens over Toronto or UBC

Canuckonomist
11-27-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't know much about 'strengths' of third tier schools, but for econometrics, McGill strikes me as a good bet, since they should still have Russell T. Davidson (James MacKinnon's co-author, and equal, by all accounts). York is third tier, I'd think, as I'd rank SFU, McGill and McMaster above it. UAlberta, and UCalgary strike me as possible third-tier schools. I know some people from the master's @ UofA and they are with me now @ Toronto doing a Ph.D. Very good students.

Elliephant
11-28-2010, 04:47 AM
I don't know much about 'strengths' of third tier schools, but for econometrics, McGill strikes me as a good bet, since they should still have Russell T. Davidson (James MacKinnon's co-author, and equal, by all accounts).

I concur. McGill has a number of good people like Vicky Zinde-Walsh and John Galbraith (not John Kenneth Galbraith, unfortunately :)). And York is definitely third-tier, though it appears they are trying to rejuvenate their department (a lot of boomers now being replaced by young faculty from good schools, including quite a few top-10 PhDs). As far as metrics go they currently have Joann Jasiak (co-authors with Toronto's Gourieroux quite a lot) and Paul Rilstone.

Edit: I should add that at York, there are some productive relationships between the math department and the finance department. It's not very common for b-schools to be closely linked to math departments, at least in Canada, so this situation is pretty conspicuous to most people in the field. That might be worth looking into if you are interested in financial metrics.

canadian econ
11-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Canuckonomist and Elliephant,

Mcgill seems like a good option, however I was looking at their site and it doesn't seem like they offer funding for MA students. As for top tier I'm thinking either Queens or UWO. I've already read on tm that Queens has a strong MA program, but any thoughts on UWO MA program? Specifically their quality of metrics.

Also, the reason I asked about third tier schools, is I know of a professor that did his MA at unb then went on to do his phd at minnesota, so I guess anythings possible.

Elliephant
11-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Being a business student, all I know about Western is that their b-school is good at finance. It's a ticket to Bay Street if there ever was one. Also, weren't they talking about scrapping their terminal master's recently...?

[B]Also, the reason I asked about third tier schools, is I know of a professor that did his MA at unb then went on to do his phd at minnesota, so I guess anythings possible.

Sure, anything is possible. But look at this way: The conditional probability of being admitted to a top-15 PhD from a school like UNB is probably orders of magnitude lower than from a top-notch Canadian school. So I wouldn't bet my money on the York, Laurier, Concordia, whatever student over the Queen's student (all else being equal, which it never is in practice).

elcapitano
11-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Cauckonomist, thanks for this thread.

A TM-er once mentioned on another thread that canadian programs, particularly Queen's, U Toronton and UBC are basically sink or swim style programs. Is that true? Do students collaborate often and study in groups or do most people behave like they are in a zero sum game? How supportive are the faculty? Thanks!

(I'm not saying that sink or swim styles are worse or better, nor am I disputing the integrity of said-TM-er's comments)

In our year at UBC MA at least, the atmosphere amongst students was good; not at all zero-sum game like. That being said; the classes for core courses are quite large so one doesn't feel a great deal of institutional support in the first semester.

Canuckonomist
11-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Cap'n. I don't have the expertise for every schools (not even most schools) so I need people like yourself to chime in and defend/denounce their programs.

econAbcs
11-28-2010, 08:14 PM
UWO doesn't have a terminal masters program, and hasn't for a few years. Also, with regards to the departmental culture, I don't think you can top UWO. :)

EastCoastGuy
11-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I have a GRE question. I wrote in the summer and didn't prepare enough to do as well as I should have, so this is what I got:
760Q
530V
6.0 AWA

Given an application that is strong otherwise (good LORs, high GPA, etc) and likely to be admitted/funded at most Canadian MAs, will this GRE score hurt me at Canadian schools? I get to decide whether or not I submit it and am unsure if I should. I don't know how poorly Canadian adcoms for the MA programs would look on a 760Q.

Elliephant
11-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the mean GRE quantitative score of Toronto's incoming MA class was something like 770, but I can't find it now. In any case they only ask for a 700 (http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/index.php/index/graduate/gre), so I would go ahead and apply. Also, my impression is that they use the GRE primarily to calibrate candidates whose academic background is not entire familiar to them; maybe Canuck or someone more knowledgeable can weigh in on this. If you did your undergrad in Canada or the US, I imagine it won't be much of an issue.

Canuckonomist
11-29-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying you're Canadian and have done your degree @ a Canadian institution? If it's not REQUIRED of you, don't send it.

There is no need for Canadians with Canadian degrees to submit the GRE unless they've got an 800Q. Even then, the GRE is not a selling point. I've said this time and time again that it doesn't tell you whether you're smart, it only tells you whether you're good/bad at one or all of: Grade 10 math/Answering 28 questions in 45 minutes/understanding the english language required to convey grade 10 math questions. Nothing else. So if you didn't do "great" and you don't have to submit it, it's only a detriment in my eyes. I don't see how an adcom can see an 800Q as mitigating a bad grade in Advanced calc, or Linear Algebra, and really only serves as a chance for them to dismiss your application without giving it their full attention.

Canuck

tangsiuje
12-01-2010, 04:07 AM
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the mean GRE quantitative score of Toronto's incoming MA class was something like 770, but I can't find it now. Actually, since most incoming MA students went to Canadian schools, only a very small proportion of the incoming MA students will have reported their GRE scores. Among individuals who did report scores (international students, a small number or Canadian students with otherwise weak applications), it wouldn't surprise me if the average was 770. However, I don't think this statistic is based on fact, because I simply cannot think of who with access to this information would release it.

I think GRE scores can make a difference, at least for MA admissions -- someone in the MA program in my year had a pretty ugly undergraduate record, and probably gained admissions because of his 800/780/6.0 score.

_nanashi
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Grade 10 math/Answering 28 questions in 45 minutes/understanding the english language required to convey grade 10 math questions. Nothing else. So if you didn't do "great" and you don't have to submit it, it's only a detriment in my eyes. I don't see how an adcom can see an 800Q as mitigating a bad grade in Advanced calc, or Linear Algebra, and really only serves as a chance for them to dismiss your application without giving it their full attention

I partially disagree with this. GRE provides a stable metric to compare applicants accross. Grades do not provide such a thing. Unlike most people I have the unfortunate circumstance of moving downward, and not upward/sideways for masters. I'm at a Top 100 econ dept at a school that doesn't rank globally usually (US world news report top 100), I came from a top 3 Canadian school with a top 2 econ dept. I find that standardized tests are better reflective of ability than high level of grade inflation that is prevalent at many universities, and this even goes for applicants who have substantial amounts of math. It also brings into light why Real Analysis is such a valuable signal. Its not just that it heavily helps with micro theory. Its often is the first math course that engineers, computer scientists and physics students aren't required to take. Which means classes aren't watered down to ensure engineers pass. That being said I don't think 800 v.s 760 tells us anything about intellgence. I have found that 800 v.s 680 does on average say something. The thing is candidates at top schools have very similar background and are generally similar academic competence, even more so that graduate level. As you move down you'll find that varies widely, I took all PhD classes; My classmates students from yale, duke, chicago, emory, and then I have sveral classmates who have just had from schools that are a bit better than community colleges. Naturally course are designed so the average student passes. . GRE scores ranged from 1530 to 1100s, (800Q to 650Q). Undergrad backgrounds vary even more widely, as you have some students who could have easily attended and handled better institutions, but didn't go for what ever reason (usually financial reasons) mixed with a larger mass of students who reflect the admissions standards of the given university. Classes also cater to the average student, as a result you get many 4.0s from students who may not have performed nearly as well elsewhere.

a score like that. He had a very strong profile otherwise. IF that explains anything. I think a 760Q if anything sends a neutral signal. That score certainly won't get your app tossed for a PhD program of similar ranks to UBC of U of T and the masters programs are much bigger.

tangyjackie
12-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Helo, thank you for opening up this thread, now I finally have a place to ask some questions!

1. What types of grades do Canadian masters programs expect in math/economics? specifically for top 4 or Tier 2 programs. Or will accept at a minimum? Do they place more emphasis on GPA or rather your upper level math/econ courses? I guess I am looking for a definitive answer, ie. a grade of A, A+, B+ etc.
2. A few of my professors at U of T said the best university outside the top 4 in Canada was Universite de Montreal, any info on this program? Apparently, you get a Masters of Science degree from there, does that necessarily matter? This is one of my top choices if the top 4 reject me completely.

Canuckonomist
12-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Jackie,

Please understand that you're asking some impossible questions that only adcoms would know, with regards to grades. I'll do my best with what information I have.

1. What types of grades do Canadian masters programs expect in math/economics? specifically for top 4 or Tier 2 programs. Or will accept at a minimum? Do they place more emphasis on GPA or rather your upper level math/econ courses? I guess I am looking for a definitive answer, ie. a grade of A, A+, B+ etc.

I've heard from Queen's that they place emphasis on upper level econ, but all math (since most of the math required is at the 1st., 2nd and 3rd year level). I imagine much of the same for the rest of the Canadian programs. There is no 'minimum' for any of these schools, really. It's a combined approach that they take to evaluating applications. I'd say that B+ is a minimum for Top 4, and B is a minimum for tier 2, but that's just based on what I've seen from past applicants. They don't post a minimum because they don't have one, below what's reasonable.

2. A few of my professors at U of T said the best university outside the top 4 in Canada was Universite de Montreal, any info on this program? Apparently, you get a Masters of Science degree from there, does that necessarily matter? This is one of my top choices if the top 4 reject me completely.[/QUOTE]

The MSc/MA difference doesn't matter. It's the same degree. In terms of UM being the best outside of the top 4, I'm not sure it's so clear cut. They may know something I don't, but I see a number of good students come out of SFU and McMaster, and go to the Canadian Top 4 for a Ph.D. I'd give a shot at SFU, too.

Canuck

_nanashi
12-02-2010, 05:32 AM
I imagine much of the same for the rest of the Canadian programs. There is no 'minimum' for any of these schools, really.
At UBC's graduate information sessions they generally expect students to have a mid A- average for students coming from UBC, but have let in candidates with weaker profiles if they had strong upward trends. However, they generally don't petition against UBC's minimum requirements so for Canadians a 76% average (3.4 G.P.A.) is the minimum expectation. Also they care mostly about performance in Core Economics courses at the upper level. Calculus III and Matrix Algebra is highly recommended, but beyond that math hasn't been a huge emphasis for Canadian students. Or the precise comment that was made is that if they see an student with strong grades (A+) in upper level core economics courses e.g. Intermediate Microeconomics with Calculus, and Econometrics and poor grades in math they often assume the student is just afraid of math. I don't know if that is true for foreign students.

In terms of UM being the best outside of the top 4, I'm not sure it's so clear cut. They may know something I don't, but I see a number of good students come out of SFU and McMaster, and go to the Canadian Top 4 for a Ph.D. I'd give a shot at SFU, too.

Actually it is that clear cut, they are a good deal ahead of SFU and Mcmaster in terms of research group, and placement of their Ph.D. students. The reason the department don't get discussion other does is the department's language of instruction is in French, even at the graduate level.

Canuckonomist
12-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Actually it is that clear cut, they are a good deal ahead of SFU and Mcmaster in terms of research group, and placement of their Ph.D. students. The reason the department don't get discussion other does is the department's language of instruction is in French, even at the graduate level.

Ah, that makes sense. Well, then if your French is good, Jackie, Montreal is the place to be!

fexical
12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Dear Canuckonomist, I applied to PhD in Toronto. I ignored the minimum score requirement for AWA (3.5 while mine is 3). I guess my score in the writing section of the TOEFL (28/30) shows that I can write well in English and my AWA score in the GRE does not reflect my real writing abilities. Anyways, I hope they don't discard my application without looking at it, otherwise I have wasted 110$. LOL.

I wanted to ask you about Toronto's ETS code for TEOFL report. UofT econ website says "The TOEFL Institution Code for graduate studies at the University of Toronto is 0982-00." while in the ETS website, 00 is the code for undergraduate studies. What should I do?

Canuckonomist
12-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Dear Canuckonomist, I applied to PhD in Toronto. I ignored the minimum score requirement for AWA (3.5 while mine is 3). I guess my score in the writing section of the TOEFL (28/30) shows that I can write well in English and my AWA score in the GRE does not reflect my real writing abilities. Anyways, I hope they don't discard my application without looking at it, otherwise I have wasted 110$. LOL.

I wanted to ask you about Toronto's ETS code for TEOFL report. UofT econ website says "The TOEFL Institution Code for graduate studies at the University of Toronto is 0982-00." while in the ETS website, 00 is the code for undergraduate studies. What should I do?

That's another tough question, to which the only answer is to e-mail kitty legault or shannon elliott. I'd stick with 0982-00 for the code, as the university of toronto graduate school does state that as their institution code. Worse comes to worst, the UG school will send it forward to the SGS when they go looking for it. But e-mailing the department to confirm is not a bad idea, you just might not get a response if they're too busy.

tangyjackie
12-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the advice about the marks, you guys.
Unfortunately, I don't think my French is good enough to go to U de M, even if their textbooks are in English.....=(

My 2nd question is, you recently commented on micro being a good signal if you get an A.....unfortunately I just took advanced micro this semester and wound up with a B instead of an A simply b/c I made two simple finding Nash equilibrium errors on one of the questions on an exam which wasn't particularly difficult. How badly will this affect my profile for applying to a Masters program in Canada? I was never particularly strong in Micro (ie. not an A student in micro), but I've always gotten A's in econometrics I/II, macro and all other upper-level econ electives (although I do think there's one B+ in one of those classes), I will be taking Advanced Macro next semester (hope I don't make another stupid mistake on the exam), do you think advanced micro is a course I should bother to retake?

I do know that advanced micro/maco and econometrics are the 3-4 most important classes in admissions decisions closely followed by all other upper level econ electives and multivariate calc/Lin algebra. So I am not sure if I should bother retaking this class and making sure I get an A/A+ in it, at the U of T, I know people have said that you need to average at least an A- in those 3-4 classes to get in, but I am not sure if it's just the average or each of those classes individually, and since you go to U of T for your PhD, I thought you might be a bit more familiar with this?
If I had gotten a B- or less, I would've definitely retaken it, just not sure if I should if it's a B.

Elliephant
12-15-2010, 07:43 PM
My understanding is that of the core econ courses, micro is the most important one. I suspect this is because it tends to be the most rigorous - or at least it was at my school. For that reason, the B could shut you out of the big four (including UofT) unless you have some very serious math to make up for it. But that's just my opinion.

Econ Bob
12-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Yes, thank you very much Canuckonomist for doing this, I know you have answered a few of my questions in the past as well .
You too Elliephant.

kprinceing
02-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi, I am current MA in U of T, regular stream.

I am applying to four canadian schools, including UT, Queens, Western and McGill.

What kind of scores do one need to get into these schools. I am from a China undergrad. So I am curious what kind of graduate score they are looking for

kprinceing
02-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Even I am sort of a insider. I don't have this kind of information

_nanashi
02-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I would assume that 90+ average would guarantee your admission somewhere. Letters and such are going to play a large role, that its hard to tell. I would assume though if your below 80 you wouldn't be in the running for Western, Queens and U of T. Mcgill is a tier 2 or even tier 3 school so they may take significantly less. I would only go to mcgill if your interested in econometrics.

kprinceing
02-07-2011, 10:44 PM
I would assume that 90+ average would guarantee your admission somewhere. Letters and such are going to play a large role, that its hard to tell. I would assume though if your below 80 you wouldn't be in the running for Western, Queens and U of T. Mcgill is a tier 2 or even tier 3 school so they may take significantly less. I would only go to mcgill if your interested in econometrics.
I have A in micro, metrics and labour(phd field course)..And A+ in financial economics.
So I am neither above 90 average and below 80... What does these says.
I have no idea about the letters. They are from the micro and metrics profs

Economics 101
02-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Can someone from Toronto please give some insight on this,

How much interaction is there between the Economics Dept. at Toronto and the Finance Dept. at Rotman? If I wanted to do Finance related research, would Rotman support a PhD candidate from the Econ Dept.

Thanks,

_nanashi
02-09-2011, 07:22 AM
I have A in micro, metrics and labour(phd field course)..And A+ in financial economics.
So I am neither above 90 average and below 80... What does these says.
I have no idea about the letters. They are from the micro and metrics profs

Its hard to say. If toronto's regular stream is comparable to UBC/Queens and their placement is comparable, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get into a decent program (you may have to wait another cycle till your done with all your courses, and apply wider.)

stevie
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi Canuckonomist,

I have a general question. I am an international applicant with an Applied Master in Economics (quantitative) from Europe with an A- average (8/10), GRE Q=800 and TOEFL waived.

I have applied to MA program at Queens, UBC, SFU and Waterloo; DSMA at University of Toronto, and Direct Entry to the PhD at UWO.

What you think about my chances provided me being an international applicant? and how early can I accept to hear from any one of them as I heard that we have to wait for second rounds generally?

Canuckonomist
02-09-2011, 02:30 PM
It obviously depends on which program in europe, and what courses you've taken (as well as your math background), but your average seems decent, assuming that the program is of some respectability amongst adcoms. You probably have a very good chance at Waterloo and SFU. Queen's and UofT depends solely on the number of international students they can take in this year. In my year, I think there were some intl students that were very similar in grades to you, so you have a shot there. I know little to nothing about UWO.

In terms of hearing back, March 1st-15th is usually the first round, and I don't see why you wouldn't hear then. Queen's will let some intl students know in the first round, that I know.

I can't be that concrete because you're asking for a profile evaluation, and that's never easy to do. It's mostly guess-work. In terms of when you can expect to hear, well, gradcafe has better data than I do...

whatdoido
02-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi Canuck, I know you've talked about how Queen's MA graduates a few people to top 10, but do these people come from Queen's undergrad.? Are they just staying for their MA to continue researching with professors they know? Or, are the some of the MA students who get into top 10 PhD Programs from other schools? Also, if you know the credentials of those students (and are willing to divulge them) that would be really helpful. Thanks.

trainwreck
02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
^Seconded.

Canuckonomist
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi Canuck, I know you've talked about how Queen's MA graduates a few people to top 10, but do these people come from Queen's undergrad.? Are they just staying for their MA to continue researching with professors they know? Or, are the some of the MA students who get into top 10 PhD Programs from other schools? Also, if you know the credentials of those students (and are willing to divulge them) that would be really helpful. Thanks.

Good question. The two that were admitted to 'top 10' programs had their undergrads from UBC. The one who went to Boston College, and myself, had our UGs from Queen's. Sometimes they come from Queen's, though. A friend of mine at Princeton had a Queen's UG, as did someone who went to Stanford. So, yes, there is a bonus from knowing profs from your UG, but there is also the bonus of coming from another great school, and just being all-stars. It was the UBCers' letters from UBC people that I think got them in.

_nanashi
02-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Interesting. Do you know if the UBC students were honours?

Canuckonomist
02-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Interesting. Do you know if the UBC students were honours?

I believe they both were, yes.

fexical
02-23-2011, 03:32 PM
When should we expect answers from Queen's PhD? There is no record for it in GC.

Canuckonomist
02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
When should we expect answers from Queen's PhD? There is no record for it in GC.

Twas early for me, (Feb 22nd) but March 1st for the rest of 'em, If I remember correctly.

MoustaBill
02-23-2011, 08:04 PM
queens econ* &bull; thegradcafe.com (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=queens+econ*&t=a&pp=25)

fexical
02-23-2011, 08:13 PM
oh.. that apostrophe...

Economics 101
03-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know if Toronto sends it PhD offers in chunks or all at once. There is an offer on TM, but I haven't gotten one. Does this mean I am out of the game, atleast for the first round?

Thanks,

Econ Bob
03-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Hey I am not sure how they send offers. But, the only offers I can see, on here, are in regards to the Toronto MA.

Economics 101
03-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Institution: UofT
Program: PhD Economics
Decision: Accepted
Funding: fellowship/teaching assistant/ra-ship ($31K first year, $28K 2-4)
Notification date: 3/2/2011
Notified through: E-mail
Posted on GC: No
Comments: First acceptance albeit expected. Exciting nonetheless!

Here is the acceptance. I really hope they are not done. I honestly thought I had a good shot at UofT. Its my birthday and I got 3 rejections today..lol..so really hoping Toronto sends offers in chuncks.

Econ Bob
03-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Oops, my apologies. Best of luck with the remaining admissions.

econchef
03-03-2011, 03:43 AM
Here is the acceptance. I really hope they are not done. I honestly thought I had a good shot at UofT. Its my birthday and I got 3 rejections today..lol..so really hoping Toronto sends offers in chuncks.

This early in march is quite early for UofT, so I wouldn't fret about it too much. The email and attached letter were personalized so they may be sending them out in chunks. But I would ask Canuckonomist as he may be able to glean some inside information regarding the timing of offers.

eiad77
03-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Does anyone know what tuition is at the University of Toronto for the regular stream MA? I tried looking at the site but I couldn't find it anywhere. Also, is being a TA pretty much guaranteed?

Economics 101
03-03-2011, 04:45 AM
This early in march is quite early for UofT, so I wouldn't fret about it too much. The email and attached letter were personalized so they may be sending them out in chunks. But I would ask Canuckonomist as he may be able to glean some inside information regarding the timing of offers.

Thanks econchef, I really hope you're right? And congrats on the Toronto admit! :)

Canuckonomist, would you know if more of the first round of offer are yet to come, are those that haven't heard out of the game?

There is a Feb 17th Toronto admit on Grad cafe aswell. So really don't know if I am still in the game.

econchef
03-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Does anyone know what tuition is at the University of Toronto for the regular stream MA? I tried looking at the site but I couldn't find it anywhere. Also, is being a TA pretty much guaranteed?

I believe the tuition is the same for doctoral/doctoral stream MA degrees (including regular MA according to the tuition schedule). The details can be found here (http://www.fees.utoronto.ca/Assets/Student+Accounts+Digital+Assets/schedules/sgs+dom/10_11_sgs_dom.pdf)

eiad77
03-03-2011, 05:59 AM
I believe the tuition is the same for doctoral/doctoral stream MA degrees (including regular MA according to the tuition schedule). The details can be found here (http://www.fees.utoronto.ca/Assets/Student+Accounts+Digital+Assets/schedules/sgs+dom/10_11_sgs_dom.pdf)

Oh, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was the same for both streams.

oleador
03-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Does anyone know when UBC (MA), Simon Fraser (MA and PhD), and McGill (MA and PhD) release results?
Thanks.

econchef
03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
In my MA year (F09), UBC got back to me March 9th and that was one of the early offers they sent out judging by when my other friends heard back. So, they may not release offers for at least another week if the past is a good predictor of future behaviour.

econphd2011
03-03-2011, 03:15 PM
To econchef: Do you know when we can hear back from Queens PHD program?

econchef
03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
They're really hard to predict. Last year, my classmates (at Queen's) heard back the last week of February I think but I will check with my friends still at queen's if they'd heard anything and get back to you.

econphd2011
03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
econchef: thank you in advance

Economics 101
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't know about the PhD, but as for the MA, UBC emailed me on 9th March, SFU sent by post mid march, and so did McGill. But I had emailed SFU and McGill around March 10th, and they had sent a scanned version of the decision, which later followed by mail.

So maybe you could try emailing them if you don't hear anything by the 15th.

Hope that helps

Does anyone know when UBC (MA), Simon Fraser (MA and PhD), and McGill (MA and PhD) release results?
Thanks.

oleador
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
@ econchef & Economics 101
Thanks for the info!

econchef
03-03-2011, 06:20 PM
My friend at Queen's spoke with the graduate secretary (about a week ago) and she mentioned the offers were likely to come out mid to late march but I will let you know if I find out more.

Economics 101
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Canuckonomist, can you please give us some insight, about the PhD offers at UofT. Is the first round of offers over, or are there more to come?

Thanks alot,

eiad77
03-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Does anyone have any experience with extending the MA decision deadline at Toronto? The deadline for me is March 19 and I don't think I will hear back from anywhere else before then. Also, does anyone know what the chances of getting a TA position is?

Elliephant
03-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Does anyone have any experience with extending the MA decision deadline at Toronto? The deadline for me is March 19 and I don't think I will hear back from anywhere else before then. Also, does anyone know what the chances of getting a TA position is?

There's a button for requesting an extension on their website, so I assume such extensions are often granted. I hear TA positions are a bit tough to get unless you have previous connections at the department. (This comes from a friend who is currently doing the MA there, whose undergrad prof arranged for a TA position with a UofT colleague.)

eiad77
03-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the information.

econchef
03-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Queen's sent out at least one PhD offer today. Email at 3:39PM (EST).

econphd2011
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM

no email :(

Elliephant
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
@eiad77: More details from Toronto MA:

All admitted students are eligible to apply for a Teaching Assistantship. In the recent past, almost all—and in many years all—MA students who have applied for up to 280 hours of TA work have been employed. Next year we expect a small reduction in our budget, which may mean that we will not be able to assign 280 hours of work to every MA student who applies. However, we expect the impact to be small. Teaching Assistants are unionized, and their rate of pay is specified in a Collective Agreement between the university and the union. Currently the rate of pay is $39.92 per hour (including "vacation pay"). We will send (by email) incoming students invitations to apply for a Teaching Assistantship in July.

econchef
03-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Hang in there Econphd2011! I'm sure queen's will send their offers out in bunches.

econphd2011
03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Hang in there Econphd2011! I'm sure queen's will send their offers out in bunches.

really thank you and wish you all the best

eiad77
03-03-2011, 09:18 PM

Did your status change on the Queen's website?

eiad77
03-03-2011, 09:21 PM
@eiad77: More details from Toronto MA:

I guess everyone got the same letter. I guess that makes me more likely to go to UBC if I get accepted there because I'd be more likely to get hired as a TA since I already know some of the faculty. Hopefully, I have the chance to make a decision.

econchef
03-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I didn't check but my account info is on my home computer so I won't be able to check until after work.

eiad77
03-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh ok, thanks.

ssoRBttaM
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Any one else apply/ know anything about Manitoba??? I sent an app because they have a pluralistic approach and appear to be well funded but I confess I don't know much about the program.

eiad77
03-04-2011, 02:44 PM
What criteria are looking at? Do you care about the reputation or quality of the faculty or something else?

ssoRBttaM
03-04-2011, 04:40 PM
More interested in quality of faculty and structure of program. I prefer to attend a pluralist program but I want to go somewhere well structured with a somewhat satisfactory reputation like American or Umass VS. Utah... Which category should I consider Manitoba to be in???

Canuckonomist
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Canuckonomist, can you please give us some insight, about the PhD offers at UofT. Is the first round of offers over, or are there more to come?

Thanks alot,

Sorry for being so late on this. I haven't been able to ask the Grad Asst. yet, so I can't give you any new information.

Lfc13
03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Ive applied to MA at U of T, Queens, McGill, Mac and Guelph and still have heard nothing. The waiting is worse then the applying!:luck2:

eiad77
03-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Ive applied to MA at U of T, Queens, McGill, Mac and Guelph and still have heard nothing. The waiting is worse then the applying!:luck2:

I am in the same boat with a slightly different list of applications (and I heard back from 1/5). I think the first round of offers from Toronto has gone out though.

Elliephant
03-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes, UofT has started, but I am fairly certain Queen's has not. I don't know about any of the other three.

Economics 101
03-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Sorry for being so late on this. I haven't been able to ask the Grad Asst. yet, so I can't give you any new information.

Great to have you back Canukconomist!! and thanks for responding.

Segan
03-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Here's a question from a fellow Canadian: Do you know how long it takes for SSHRC to get back to applicants about whether they have won? I have applied to a mix of Master's and Ph.D. programs, and so I only applied to the Master's SSHRC scholarship. My school informed me that I had passed to the final round of competition, and claims I should hear back in April whether or not I have won. Do you know whether in practice they inform students before or after April 15th?

MoustaBill
03-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I heard back early May last year and the year before.
You should look at this forum The Bank - The GradCafe Forums (http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/17-the-bank/)

Lfc13
03-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Yes, UofT has started, but I am fairly certain Queen's has not. I don't know about any of the other three.

Are the all the first rounds of U of T done? I didn't really expect to be first round there anyway... These forums are addicting to check daily.

Segan
03-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I heard back early May last year and the year before.
You should look at this forum The Bank - The GradCafe Forums (http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/17-the-bank/)

Thanks!

eiad77
03-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Are the all the first rounds of U of T done? I didn't really expect to be first round there anyway... These forums are addicting to check daily.

If I were to guess I would say yes, but I don't have any inside information or anything. My answer is based on the fact that two people got accepted on the same day. The deadline to reply to their offer is in two weeks so they might be making more offers then.

Economics 101
03-05-2011, 01:20 AM
I have heard from a student at UofT that the first round of offers to the PhD program are all done.

Isn't this a bit too early. I am really starting to get worried, I had no idea UofT send first round offers this early in the month.

Econ Bob
03-05-2011, 03:13 AM
Hey guys, thought I'd post to try and add some information regarding the MA's. I also received an offer from Toronto MA reg stream, and was Doctoral stream wait-listed (Same day as Elliephant and eiad77). I also know someone who was admitted to the doctoral stream same day. Queen's also extended an MA offer today (just before the office close) via email. However the early timing of the Queen's admit could relate to the fact that I am a Queen's undergrad and they have direct access to my records etc. I am very excited about both offers, and I hope some of this information has helped out.

eiad77
03-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Hey Bob, did your status on the Queens website change? Was the Queens offer funded? Congratulations on your acceptances!

Econ Bob
03-05-2011, 04:11 AM
Hey thank you! Yes the Queen's offer was funded. And I haven't checked the website, but i can do that for you in a minute.

Additional info: Queen's email/attached letter was from econ dept, official offer will be sent by mail from the graduate school, so i guess the email is "unofficial" which is standard.

eiad77
03-05-2011, 04:15 AM
That's great! Where are you leaning toward so far? Not that I think I will get accepted to UBC or Queen's but I think I would rank them 1) UBC 2) Queen's 3) Toronto. And I saw your previous post asking which classes you should take. Which math classes did you end up taking?

Econ Bob
03-05-2011, 04:23 AM
The website has not been updated for me. Queen's is my number one choice, I really like the econ department here. As for courses, they remained the same, however in my fourth year courses I ended up with high 90's in each, which certainly helped my application.

Canuckonomist
03-05-2011, 04:24 AM
I have heard from a student at UofT that the first round of offers to the PhD program are all done.

Isn't this a bit too early. I am really starting to get worried, I had no idea UofT send first round offers this early in the month.

I don't think it's early. I received my offer from UToronto on Feb. 28th when I applied two years ago, and I'm pretty sure that year was a leap year, too. I'm certain I was a first-rounder.

eiad77
03-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Hey thank you! Yes the Queen's offer was funded. And I haven't checked the website, but i can do that for you in a minute.

Additional info: Queen's email/attached letter was from econ dept, official offer will be sent by mail from the graduate school, so i guess the email is "unofficial" which is standard.

I guess you are pretty much worry free now since you got into your number 1 choice.

Econ Bob
03-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Yes, I am extremely happy. Actually I did end up taking an additional math course as an elective. However it wasn't a traditional course, it was pretty much self taught and was basically math/ minor proofs behind some finance topics. What was your reason for coming back to econ if you don't mind me asking?

eiad77
03-05-2011, 04:49 AM
Oh I just didn't really like law that much. I was only 20 when I started law school and I was too immature I think. It was a mistake going into law school to begin with. I didn't realize how serious it was and I didn't fully commit but that was a long time ago hahaha. Anyways, now that I got accepted to at least one university I know that it's not going to haunt me for life.

Econ Bob
03-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Yeah that's true, congrats on the UofT admit and best of luck on the remaining apps!

tangsiuje
03-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I have heard from a student at UofT that the first round of offers to the PhD program are all done.If this is true, I'd bet the "first round" was not particularly large: only a select, most desired few. ;)

In my year, Canuckonomist was probably among the first (and please, a necessary condition for a leap year is that it's even). The week after that, some other Canadian students I happen to know received offers. A deep search of my mailbox reveals I obtained my offer on March 15. Obviously, I'm still alive and kicking, and wouldn't consider myself notably weaker than the kids with early offers. :p

The only pattern I've managed to tease out is that the first offers tend to be given to Canadian students. There is a quota for unfunded international students (because they're so much more expensive to the department).

Canuckonomist
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
If this is true, I'd bet the "first round" was not particularly large: only a select, most desired few. ;)

...and please, a necessary condition for a leap year is that it's even

On the first point, I would tend to agree. They had a really early response deadline (13 days!) for my offer, so it looks like they wanted to snag a few students before March 15th hit. I managed to extend it a few weeks.

And thanks again, Tang, for pointing out the trivial mistakes in my post. I don't know where I'd be without you, dearest. :love:

Economics 101
03-05-2011, 09:56 PM
If this is true, I'd bet the "first round" was not particularly large: only a select, most desired few. ;)

In my year, Canuckonomist was probably among the first (and please, a necessary condition for a leap year is that it's even). The week after that, some other Canadian students I happen to know received offers. A deep search of my mailbox reveals I obtained my offer on March 15. Obviously, I'm still alive and kicking, and wouldn't consider myself notably weaker than the kids with early offers. :p

The only pattern I've managed to tease out is that the first offers tend to be given to Canadian students. There is a quota for unfunded international students (because they're so much more expensive to the department).

Thankyou so much for that information tsangsije! :) , I did my M.A. and B.A. from Canada, but still am an International student, so maybe there is still hope for me.

Economics 101
03-07-2011, 11:23 PM
For the TMers that got offers from Toronto PhD, may I please ask when you guys have to respond by. I am asking cause the next round of offers will probably be after that day.

Unikkatel
03-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Would it be useful if I was to email UToronto (MA) and ask if I am on the waitlist or anything? I know the first rounds have gone by so I am wondering if I am on the second round or not on any round or whether it is too early to email? :whistle:

Elliephant
03-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Would it be useful if I was to email UToronto (MA) and ask if I am on the waitlist or anything? I know the first rounds have gone by so I am wondering if I am on the second round or not on any round or whether it is too early to email? :whistle:

I'd say it is too early. As far as I can tell, the second round has not even gone out yet. Sit tight for another week or so, if you can. :)

Canuckonomist
03-08-2011, 03:54 AM
For the Toronto MA/PhD people waiting for the second round, wait until March 15th before doing anything. As it was in my year, my deadline was March 13th, and sure enough, others received offers March 15th. All I can say is patience, my friends. I know it's hard, and I know you're all anxious, but patience.

Lfc13
03-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Maybe they were just the pre-first rounders:whistle:. Waiting sure isn't stressful.:mad:

fexical
03-08-2011, 07:39 AM
UBC and Queen's are so slow. Rachel told me that Queen's PhD results would be out around mid March. UBC's Maureen told the same thing in their email confirming that my application was complete. It's bad for themselves because many people may make up their minds about their decision while still not heard from these schools.

s1391470
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
UBC and Queen's are so slow. Rachel told me that Queen's PhD results would be out around mid March. UBC's Maureen told the same thing in their email confirming that my application was complete. It's bad for themselves because many people may make up their minds about their decision while still not heard from these schools.

I've met with the current grad director at Queens a couple of times, and he mentioned that the reason they wait so long is that in the past, many of the people they make offers to asked for extensions past April 15th (i.e. they end up on wait lists for more prestigious programs and want to see if they get in). So, they decided to make offers a little later with a later acceptance date. It may be the same for UBC.

eiad77
03-08-2011, 01:25 PM
I've met with the current grad director at Queens a couple of times, and he mentioned that the reason they wait so long is that in the past, many of the people they make offers to asked for extensions past April 15th (i.e. they end up on wait lists for more prestigious programs and want to see if they get in). So, they decided to make offers a little later with a later acceptance date. It may be the same for UBC.

The whole process would be much better for all parties involved if departments from all the universities agreed on the date they will release their offers. That's how it works with law firm recruiting.

Rehan
03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Has there been news from UWO? They haven't replied to any of my emails. Don't know how to check my status either.

Any info would be much appreciated!

econchef
03-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Queen's was fairly patient this year with PhD deadlines. They gave me until April 22 to make a decision compared to UofT's March 19th. That being said I will likely get back to both Queen's and UofT to tell them that I will be choosing another of my offers instead.

fexical
03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
So Queen's has already sent its first round or just admitted several stellar applicants?

econchef
03-08-2011, 03:33 PM
So Queen's has already sent its first round or just admitted several stellar applicants?
I'm not sure. Rachel emailed the letter to me on March 3rd and a friend who is currently finishing their MA there also received an offer that day as well.

fexical
03-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Last year they started sending rejection letters in mid April, so I guess I'm implicitly rejected. I'll wait another week and then ask them to make it explicit!

econchef
03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Last year they started sending rejection letters in mid April, so I guess I'm implicitly rejected. I'll wait another week and then ask them to make it explicit!
They may have given me a longer deadline because they knew I was applying to the US, so I wouldn't count yourself out yet. I know of at least two people given offers who likely won't matriculate.

eiad77
03-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey I just noticed the title of the thread. It should definitely be "programme"!

Elliephant
03-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey I just noticed the title of the thread. It should definitely be "programme"!

I object. In Canadian English, both variants are correct. (Yes, I'm a pedant, sorry. :) )

eiad77
03-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes, but since the thread is specifically about Canadian programmes, surely the more distinguishably Canadian (compared to the US) spelling should be used.

Elliephant
03-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Duly noted. But you don't want us being confused with the Brits, either. ;)

EastCoastGuy
03-08-2011, 04:54 PM
I just spoke to Rachel from Queen's and she told me they're still reviewing applications and it could be another couple of weeks. My UofT offer expires next weekend, so I'm planning to call Queen's back next week.

EDIT: That was for the MA, not Phd.

econchef
03-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I just spoke to Rachel from Queen's and she told me they're still reviewing applications and it could be another couple of weeks. My UofT offer expires next weekend, so I'm planning to call Queen's back next week.

Ask UofT for an extension. I'm sure they'll grant one given the online system they have for requesting one.

eiad77
03-08-2011, 04:59 PM

EDIT: That was for the MA, not Phd.

How strange since someone said they already got accepted. He was a Queens student though so maybe that had something to do with it.

Canuckonomist
03-08-2011, 05:05 PM
How strange since someone said they already got accepted. He was a Queens student though so maybe that had something to do with it.

In my year, Queen's students received Ph.D offers much earlier than other first-rounders.

Economics 101
03-09-2011, 10:57 PM
There are more Toronto PhD admits on Gradcafe. I hope this doesn't mean the 2nd round is over!

Elliephant
03-09-2011, 11:10 PM
There are more Toronto PhD admits on Gradcafe. I hope this doesn't mean the 2nd round is over!

I think at this point it might be safe to email the department about your status, especially if you're weighing other offers.

Economics 101
03-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I did email them at this is what I recieved:

Hello Mr.---,

The Admissions Committee will start round one offers for September 2011 admission in late March and early April 2011 and continue with subsequent rounds of offers until June. All applicants will be notified either with an offer of admission or rejection of their application by the end of June.

Regards,

Jill Given-King
Acting Graduate Assistant
Dept. of Economics

This is obviously not true. I mean they have already sent a bunch of offers. I got a similar reply from Queens' except that Queen's email said we will be sending offers starting April, instead of late March.

econphd2011
03-09-2011, 11:22 PM
This is obviously not true. I mean they have already sent a bunch of offers. I got a similar reply from Queens' except that Queen's email said we will be sending offers starting April, instead of late March.

You mean Queens PHD will send offers in April?

Elliephant
03-09-2011, 11:26 PM
@101, that's annoying, and I sympathise. Canadian schools should really have something akin to the April 15 deadline in the US.

Economics 101
03-09-2011, 11:31 PM
@econphd2011 sorry to not clarify. I meant PhD at both Queen's and Toronto. This thread can get fairly confusing distinguishing between MA and PhD.

I wish they would just tell me and get it over with. I know UBC hasn't started first round for the PhD or atleast it hasn't officially. I wish UodT and Queen's would just tell me I have been rejected and end my misery :( I don't want to wait till April.

Canuckonomist
03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
I did email them at this is what I recieved:

Hello Mr.---,

The Admissions Committee will start round one offers for September 2011 admission in late March and early April 2011 and continue with subsequent rounds of offers until June. All applicants will be notified either with an offer of admission or rejection of their application by the end of June.

Regards,

Jill Given-King
Acting Graduate Assistant
Dept. of Economics

It probably depends on what they want to consider as round one. They may have sent out initial "pre" offers in the same way that UMN sends out fellowship offers first, and their standard first round will be later. Jill is a stand-up AGA, so I'd trust her. Do you know how many offers they've sent out? There are 3 on the GC, and I'm not entirely convinced of the first one, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Canadian schools have sent offers out later than U.S schools in the past, IIRC. There are usually a few exceptions to top students, or students from their own university. They also tend to delay admits to international applicants until they know how many international students they can fund (they get this number from the SGS). You're worrying too early.

Economics 101
03-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks Canuckonomist, that makes me feel a bit better. I guess I can postpone the worrying till mid March. There are 3 admits on GC and 1 on TM.

Although, a friend doing his PhD from Toronto did tell me that from what he gathered, the first round of admits was over, for everyone (international and domestic). But what you are saying does make sence. I am just really tired of waiting, just as we all are.

But thanks for the info., I guess I can relax for a few days.

Canuckonomist
03-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks Canuckonomist, that makes me feel a bit better. I guess I can postpone the worrying till mid March. There are 3 admits on GC and 1 on TM.

Although, a friend doing his PhD from Toronto did tell me that from what he gathered, the first round of admits was over, for everyone (international and domestic). But what you are saying does make sence. I am just really tired of waiting, just as we all are.

But thanks for the info., I guess I can relax for a few days.

I sympathize with your position. I mean, they could be boldface lying to you, I don't know. Unfortunately all we can do is wait in these positions. I had to wait to hear from Cornell until May after they rejected almost everyone in February, and sent out acceptances in March. Sometimes we get strung along (I wish we wouldn't.)

eiad77
03-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Queen's sent me an acceptance today (for MA) so I guess they have started their first round. I am not from Queen's but I am Canadian. I am not sure if the Phd decisions are made at the same time though.

Elliephant
03-10-2011, 11:40 AM
eiad, you must be a really early admit. Seems you're the only one here and on GC. Congrats.

EastCoastGuy
03-10-2011, 12:25 PM
One of my classmates received a Queen's MA admit quite late yesterday afternoon as well. There are three other people in my school that were admitted to UofT's MA and haven't heard from Queen's still, so I guess Queen's may be sending offers as they go through applications or something.

Normally, I'd assume this is some kind of implicit reject, but my profile is at least as strong as my classmate's, and in some areas stronger (eg, we've taken the same core 3000- and 4000-level courses, and I've had slightly higher marks in some of them).

eiad77
03-10-2011, 12:35 PM
eiad, you must be a really early admit. Seems you're the only one here and on GC. Congrats.

Thanks. I don't think I am that early though, one user on here said he got admitted late last week (but he is from Queen's). There was also someone else who posted on GradCafe.

ETA: He didn't post on the official acceptances/rejections thread but I think he mentioned it in this thread (or maybe another one).

Nelz
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I am an international applicant. It seems that offers are being sent out already. I have received no offer from Toronto or Queen's yet. I was hoping I would get admissions at Queen's with funding. Unfortunately, i still dont have any update. Do they really don't consider international applicants? :(

Nelz
03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
sorry, i meant...do you really not consider international applicants at all?

eiad77
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I know Queen's and Toronto both consider international applicants but I have heard that it's slightly harder to get admitted if you are international. It's a little early in the whole process, but maybe you should send the graduate assistant an email if you are getting worried.

Nelz
03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
thanks eiad for the support. Actually I mailed toronto and I received the same mail: that they send first round offers in mid March which is plainly not true since they have already sent offers. I know Queen's would say something like that as well. I just hope I get somewhere iA. Im getting worried. It's been two months since I submitted my app. My LORs are fine and GPA is top 5%, then what is wrong in my application, I have no idea. I have not received acceptance anywhere. It can be quite frustrating and sad. But I'm still hopeful.

econchef
03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
sorry, i meant...do you really not consider international applicants at all?

Queen's tend to be very selective with their international admits because they are required to provide them with higher minimum funding then they would for a domestic student. In my year at Queen's I think we had 3 international students but one of them was a graduate from a Canadian undergrad.

econchef
03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Queen's sent me an acceptance today (for MA) so I guess they have started their first round. I am not from Queen's but I am Canadian. I am not sure if the Phd decisions are made at the same time though.

Congrats! Go to Queen's! It's the best.

econchef
03-10-2011, 03:05 PM
One of my classmates received a Queen's MA admit quite late yesterday afternoon as well. There are three other people in my school that were admitted to UofT's MA and haven't heard from Queen's still, so I guess Queen's may be sending offers as they go through applications or something.

Normally, I'd assume this is some kind of implicit reject, but my profile is at least as strong as my classmate's, and in many cases stronger (eg, we've taken essentially all the same econ courses and I've had higher marks in almost all of them).

I wonder what school you go to...all taken the same econ classes, probably offered every other year. Sounds familiar. In my last year of undergrad, I received an acceptance from Queen's about a week or more before another student in my year received their acceptance. It tends to be that at least one student from my undergrad will be one of the top admits at Queen's MA and normally everyone else who applies will get in (bearing in mind that the plural of anecdote is not data).

eiad77
03-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I am strongly considering going there, it's either Queen's or UBC (if I get accepted). I had a question about funding though. Do you know what the minimum level of funding is for domestic students? I think I misinterpreted the question on the application form which asked if I required funding. I think I may not have been considered for funding because I answered no. I am thinking of asking the graduate assistant.

econchef
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I believe the minimum funding is a TAship (8,700ish I believe). Normally it is always a good idea to check the box that says "require funding" but Queen's is a fairly intelligent group so I'm sure they would have considered you for department funding anyway (speculation).

If you're from out west then I would consider UBC for proximity reasons but my friends who have gone have given some bad reviews of the program. It is certainly top quality and good training but the class size is quite large for a Canadian MA program and my friends said the program lacked collegiality.

Nelz
03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
which canadian university is more willing to take international applicants with funding. I am planning for next time. Where should I apply? Toronto and Queen's haven't contacted me yet. So I think they are not too keen to take international applicants. :(

econchef
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
which canadian university is more willing to take international applicants with funding. I am planning for next time. Where should I apply? Toronto and Queen's haven't contacted me yet. So I think they are not too keen to take international applicants. :(

I wouldn't say they're not keen. I believe it's more an issue of competition. The Canadian government provides more funding for domestic students than international students, so the natural response for admissions is too have fewer spots for international students and as a result competition for those spots is fiercer. I don't have the data to work with in front of me but I would hazard a guess that UBC has the largest percentage of international students in their MA class (speculation).

eiad77
03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I believe the minimum funding is a TAship (8,700ish I believe). Normally it is always a good idea to check the box that says "require funding" but Queen's is a fairly intelligent group so I'm sure they would have considered you for department funding anyway (speculation).

Haha yeah I should have checked the box, I might double check with the assistant just to make sure. I'm a UBC graduate so location is the main reason I am considering it. I have heard nothing but good things about Queen's and it sounds like the programme is much more intimate than UBC. I especially like the fact that all the Master's students get offices (is that true?) at Queen's. Did you do the thesis or essay option?

econchef
03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Haha yeah I should have checked the box, I might double check with the assistant just to make sure. I'm a UBC graduate so location is the main reason I am considering it. I have heard nothing but good things about Queen's and it sounds like the programme is much more intimate than UBC. I especially like the fact that all the Master's students get offices (is that true?) at Queen's. Did you do the thesis or essay option?

Yes, everyone gets offices :) They're the best. It's normally four to an office but I found that there was more than enough space (everyone gets their own desk). Plus you get keys to the building so you have 24/7 access to an office. Rachel (the grad assistant) is also quite adept at matching people to offices. No one does the thesis option (speculation), pretty much everyone does an MA essay instead.

eiad77
03-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, everyone gets offices :) They're the best. It's normally four to an office but I found that there was more than enough space (everyone gets their own desk). Plus you get keys to the building so you have 24/7 access to an office. Rachel (the grad assistant) is also quite adept at matching people to offices. No one does the thesis option (speculation), pretty much everyone does an MA essay instead.

Sorry for all the questions but I was also wondering how TA classes get chosen. Do most of the MA students TA for econ 101/102? Are there applications if you want to TA for a different class?

jeffgoldbloom
03-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Normally, I'd assume this is some kind of implicit reject, but my profile is at least as strong as my classmate's, and in many cases stronger (eg, we've taken essentially all the same econ courses and I've had higher marks in almost all of them).

HEY! You're talking about me here. And I just want to point out that you may have overstated your grades. Your overall GPA is marginally higher, but you received higher grades in earlier introductory courses. My grades exceeded yours in Calculus (I-IV) and Linear Algebra(I/II), though you did beat me in Analysis. I just feel the need the defend my economic honour, I also exceeded ort was the same level as you in intermediate theory courses. You have DEFINITELY not had higher marks in almost all of them.

That being said I'm sure you'll get into Queens and recieve a funding package equal or greater than mine ($15,000), as well as the other members of our graduating class who applied to Queens. Though I am surprised they weren't all sent at the same time like our Toronto acceptances.

econchef
03-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Sorry for all the questions but I was also wondering how TA classes get chosen. Do most of the MA students TA for econ 101/102? Are there applications if you want to TA for a different class?

No problem. The majority of MAs TA for 101/102, which is a great job (namely because of the required input). However, last year I was asked by Rachel what class I wanted to TA (she gave me a few options). I ended up TA the enviro econ class, which was a lot of work. Some of my other classmates were TAs for the intermediates and a few others were assigned to other field courses. Officially, there are no applications you fill out though.

eiad77
03-10-2011, 03:51 PM

I think that the Alberta schools (University of Alberta and University of Calgary) are more generous with funding and also have less competition. I also think that Simon Fraser University guarantees funding (you might want to double check). The University of Victoria is also supposed to be fairly generous. I know Victoria and Simon Fraser have a significant proportion of international students but they also have fairly small programmes.

eiad77
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
No problem. The majority of MAs TA for 101/102, which is a great job (namely because of the required input). However, last year I was asked by Rachel what class I wanted to TA (she gave me a few options). I ended up TA the enviro econ class, which was a lot of work. Some of my other classmates were TAs for the intermediates and a few others were assigned to other field courses. Officially, there are no applications you fill out though.

Oh ok, do all the undergraduate economics classes have tutorials or do you just have to mark/hold office hours? At UBC only 101/102 classes have tutorials.

jeffgoldbloom
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
I read on Grad Cafe a student who was accepted into Toronto's Regular Stream but wait -listed on the Doctoral submitted their Queens Acceptance and was then offered a place on the Doctoral Stream. I just submitted my letter of acceptance, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get bumped onto Doctoral.

econchef
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Oh ok, do all the undergraduate economics classes have tutorials or do you just have to mark/hold office hours? At UBC only 101/102 classes have tutorials.

101/102 don't really have tutorials. You just have to hold office hours in the drop-in centre for those classes. Some of the field courses have tutorials but they would be the exception not the rule.

eiad77
03-10-2011, 04:21 PM
101/102 don't really have tutorials. You just have to hold office hours in the drop-in centre for those classes. Some of the field courses have tutorials but they would be the exception not the rule.

Cool, thanks for the help!

LoveFinEcon
03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I saw one accept for PhD Economics at UBC in the admission thread a while ago, so I just wonder whether the school has done with its first round yet. Anyone has any idea?? Thanks!

Elliephant
03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Nelz, you are freaking out way too early. I haven't heard from Queen's yet either, and the consensus is that I have a very, very strong (domestic) profile. Give them another couple of weeks.

Canuckonomist
03-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I am strongly considering going there, it's either Queen's or UBC (if I get accepted). I had a question about funding though. Do you know what the minimum level of funding is for domestic students? I think I misinterpreted the question on the application form which asked if I required funding. I think I may not have been considered for funding because I answered no. I am thinking of asking the graduate assistant.

This is the same situation I was in with the Queen's MA offer. I checked the same box, and received only a TAship. I responded to a request from Rachel asking if I wanted to be considered for a scholarship (because of the misinterpretation of that box), and I received an additional $3K. You might want to try that.

That little box must save them so much money.

Canuckonomist
03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
No one does the thesis option (speculation), pretty much everyone does an MA essay instead.

I can confirm this. From my discussions with the DGS, I don't think anyone has ever done MA progamme I.

Nelz
03-10-2011, 05:06 PM
elliephant, thanks for the support. But you have a strong domestic profile and that makes you more likely to get admission. I am freaking out because I am an international applicant.

eiad77
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
This is the same situation I was in with the Queen's MA offer. I checked the same box, and received only a TAship. I responded to a request from Rachel asking if I wanted to be considered for a scholarship (because of the misinterpretation of that box), and I received an additional $3K. You might want to try that.

That little box must save them so much money.

Thanks. I just sent her an email. I don't have any expectations but it's worth a shot.

Elliephant
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
^ Don't worry yet. If you have a strong international profile, you'll probably get admitted to at least one good MA. I know it's very hard not to worry (I worry too!). My point is simply that you're worrying too early.

corduroy
03-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Questions: Do programs send each applicant a definitive decision either way? That is, once programs have determined that an applicant has been absolutely admitted (at this point in the process, it may be more precise to say "offered") or absolutely rejected, do they notify each applicant? Also, do any of the big four Canadian programs waitlist any MA applicants?

Economics 101
03-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I saw one accept for PhD Economics at UBC in the admission thread a while ago, so I just wonder whether the school has done with its first round yet. Anyone has any idea?? Thanks!

I can confirm that UBC has not started the first round of offers for PhD. They might have send a few offers to stellar candidates, but otherwise the first round hasn't started as yet. I am fairly certain of the same for the M.A. aswell.

Econ Bob
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks. I don't think I am that early though, one user on here said he got admitted late last week (but he is from Queen's). There was also someone else who posted on GradCafe.

ETA: He didn't post on the official acceptances/rejections thread but I think he mentioned it in this thread (or maybe another one).

Yeah ,that was me. Ill post it in the admissions thread. Congrats on the admit Eiad and others! Did you receive a letter from the School of Grad studies yet, or did your status update on their website?

eiad77
03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah ,that was me. Ill post it in the admissions thread. Congrats on the admit Eiad and others! Did you receive a letter from the School of Grad studies yet, or did your status update on their website?

Thanks. No, I just got the email from Rachel. My status hasn't been updated and I haven't been accepted by the graduate school either.

Unikkatel
03-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Just letting you guys know that I also recieved an offer from Queens and I believe it was dated March 9th. I also pressed the "no scholarship" check mark which I regret now :doh:.

LoveFinEcon
03-11-2011, 02:14 AM
I can confirm that UBC has not started the first round of offers for PhD. They might have send a few offers to stellar candidates, but otherwise the first round hasn't started as yet. I am fairly certain of the same for the M.A. aswell.

Thanks Economics 101! I have already been offered a place from a university in the US, but I really wanna go to UBC so I wonder whether the decision will be out before the deadline that I have to accept the offer from the other university.

EastCoastGuy
03-11-2011, 03:29 AM
I called UBC this afternoon and they said that first MA offers would go out next week. I imagine that means they're close to first-round Phd offers too. They would probably tell you if you called.

LoveFinEcon
03-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Thanks so much EastCoastGuy.. I wish I can be at East Coast..

econpunk
03-11-2011, 05:34 AM
this piece of info for ubc is informative. Well done east coast man

ifUT
03-11-2011, 01:58 PM
I saw this on GC about U of Toronto:

"[B]efore making offers, I prefer to have an idea of the likelihood they will be accepted. If, for whatever reason, you would be likely to accept an offer of admission from us, please let me know. (I am writing to several students, so unfortunately I may not be able to offer you admission even if you are likely to accept an offer.)" Martin

Could this be true?

Economics 101
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I saw this on GC about U of Toronto:

"[B]efore making offers, I prefer to have an idea of the likelihood they will be accepted. If, for whatever reason, you would be likely to accept an offer of admission from us, please let me know. (I am writing to several students, so unfortunately I may not be able to offer you admission even if you are likely to accept an offer.)" Martin

Could this be true?

I haven't received this message, but I guess if you're not one of the "several students", its game over at UofT.

EastCoastGuy
03-11-2011, 02:38 PM
From what I've observed, UofT has admitted several students to the their Regular Stream MA, and is being very strategic about who they take off the waitlist for the Doctoral Stream. It wouldn't surprise me if they are doing something like that for all admits. They probably have a significant amount of offers out that could be rejected and want to know sooner.

In an email to me, UofT mentioned something about expecting some of their applicants to turn their offer down in favour of stronger offers, although that may have been just to appease me, since I was asking about my waitlist status.

econchef
03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
I declined my offers from UofT and Queen's (both PhD). Good luck to everyone who is waiting.

lynxesh
03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi, does anybody know something about UWO MA in Economics program? :hmm:

LowExpectations
03-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi,

Has somebody heard anything from U of C Phd in economics program?

I haven't received any notification... :hmm:

oleador
03-12-2011, 05:57 AM
I've seen several SFU MA admissions on this forum. Does anyone know if they also already have sent out PhD admissions?
Thanks!

LowExpectations
03-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi,

I haven't heard anything from University of Calgary (I applied to the PhD program in Economics).

Is it an implicit rejection? Should I write to the department's graduate administrator asking for information? Any comment is welcome.

fexical
03-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Calgary sent its first round in late Feb and they should accept/decline till 25 March. Then the second round will be sent.