PDA

View Full Version : GRE scores

joycesyd16
11-20-2010, 10:23 PM
I have took GRE twice, the first time was three years ago, I got 800Q but my verbal score was a disaster (less than 400), recently I retook the test, got a much better result on verbal (680), but unfortunately my quantitative is only 760 this time. Since I took them in different countries they will probably not show in one report. I'm planning for some top programs in the country and I know quantitative section is very important in economics admission. So should I just send the recent score report or both of them?

Plus, I have a master degree in applied statistics, do you guys think this could make up the quantitative problem?

Elliephant
11-20-2010, 10:38 PM
ETS will send all your scores from the last five years no matter where you order your score report. Any school you apply to will see both records, and at top schools, having a GRE quantitative that decreases so substantially will certainly raise red flags. The GRE math section is considered so elementary that if you can't do well on it, people get worried. A strong master's may not alleviate that concern.

rthunder27
11-20-2010, 11:14 PM
ETS will send all your scores from the last five years no matter where you order your score report. Any school you apply to will see both records, and at top schools, having a GRE quantitative that decreases so substantially will certainly raise red flags. The GRE math section is considered so elementary that if you can't do well on it, people get worried. A strong master's may not alleviate that concern.

That's not entirely accurate. ETS is supposed to send every score, but their data systems are not that sharp, and can be thrown off if something is different in your information from one test registration to another, such as address, and will create a separate profile. For instance, I took the test four years ago and then again this past summer, using the same name and other information each time, but with a different home address. The results from this past summer did not contain the results from four years ago, I had to call ETS to have them combine my profiles. This angered me a bit, since I had to pay to re-send the four free scores I had sent out at the time of the test. I wanted to have both scores sent out because I got 800Q/630V/4.5AWA this past summer, but 770Q/650V/5.5AWA five years ago, so I wanted them to also see the better V and AWA.

So really if you wanted to cheat the system, all you need to do is give a different home address each time you register (and not registering through your mygre profile). Then you can have them send out whichever score is better, or you can call and have them combined and send out both. I am not condoning such a thing, but rather pointing out it is possible.

Your case is a tough call, since below 400V could be a really big red flag, but some on this board will claim a 760Q is worse. I'd check with your schools, and see their policy. If they take the highest of each score or average, then calling ETS and having them combine your profiles is a no brainer. It also depends on the level of schools to which you are applying, since a 760 probably won't get you auto-rejected outside of the top 10, and the masters in applied stat probably could counter it. I guess if I were in your position I would try have both sent, but that's just me, and I have no inside knowledge here.

Elliephant
11-20-2010, 11:41 PM
I stand corrected. Good thing we have people like rthunder to punch holes in others' hubris.

In that case, it does become a tough call. I don't suppose retaking the test for good quant AND verbal performance is an option?

joycesyd16
11-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!
I really don't want to retake the test for the third time, especially at present while struggling with lots of papers and finals. and the coming deadlines will probably not allow me to do this either. So I think I will call ETS and ask them to combine my profile and send both, because this seems to be the best thing I can do now..

thewhiterabbit
11-29-2010, 04:17 AM
For people who have taken twice, do your old scores show up in your MyGRE profile?

Elliephant
11-29-2010, 04:34 AM
For people who have taken twice, do your old scores show up in your MyGRE profile?

Yes, until five years have passed since the date of the old test(s). This isn't the MCAT, where the poorer scores just magically disappear off your record.

For the caveat to this general statement, see rthunder27's informative post above.

buno
11-30-2010, 08:34 PM
I took the GRE twice, once with Q720 and Q730. My verbal was ok with 490 and 4.5 AW

I know I messed up bad on the Q. Guess the pressure got to me.
Now I am thinking about retaking the GRE but only redo the Quantitative section. So that I can fully concentrate on the math.

Does anybody think that this will be an issue when I send my score reports to the gradschools?

jzir11
11-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I've checked with some of the schools in the top 10 and various U of California schools, and a surprising number look at your top score in each section (though of course not all). Northwestern averages, I believe.

I have to wonder, however, whether the lower scores still don't affect their decision making process.

buno
12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Good to know that many schools look at the top score. I totally understand that two bad scores can hinder my acceptance. To counter that I thought about mentioning something in my SOP, but I believe its better not to mention anything in your SOP about bad GRE scores etc.