PDA

View Full Version : Is it a severe mistake to write irrelated interested fields in the SOP?

realphoenix
11-24-2010, 03:04 PM
In my SOP, I described research experience in two irrelated fields( international econ and experimental econ)
But a consultant told me it would make my SOP lack of focus and I should delete my experience in one field or connected the 2 fields together.

But I like the two field equally, and the SOP would be weakened greatly if I delete one research experience...

How should I deal with it? As far as I know, the econ phd students would choose the research field after they learn general courses in economics for years. But do the school expect applicant to focus on one field in the SOP?
If yes, is there someone who can offer some sollutions for me?
Thanks so much!!

Zeno
11-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure what to say about research interests (others may have more insight), but definitely don't hesitate to talk about all experience.

petecheese
11-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Mine were development and applied micro so those are highly correlated. (but that doesn't mean i tried to make it this way) and i don;t see a problem with them being uncorrelated. In some of my SOPs i dropped the development interest and replaced it with financial economics.

oleador
11-24-2010, 06:29 PM
In my view (which may not coincide with the view of an adcom), if you show interest in a field without showing relevant experience in that field, then this interest may not be very strong, just because you haven't yet seriously tried what it is to do research within that field. But if it is the case, there is absolutely nothing bad in being interested in various and, possibly, unrelated fields. If you have done some research in unrelated fields that's even better, since you have gained a valuable experience of seeing different sides of economics.

In my case, I have several fields I am really interested in, but I vary them depending on a school I apply to. This is mostly for the sake of making my SOP shorter and more concentrated. Unfortunately, the only field I did research in is not among my interests anymore, however I still mention my experience in the SOP.