PDA

View Full Version : LSE Placement Secrets...finally revealed!

norules4suresh
11-26-2010, 03:49 AM
After long hours of browsing through the pages of LSE I found some details about their placement in private sector as well as for PhD.
From the LSE site:
Further study options

A significant number of postgraduate leavers from the Department of Economics opt to continue their academic studies to doctorate level and previous graduates have pursued PhDs in Economics at
LSE
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
Harvard University
University of Pennsylvania
University of California (Berkeley)
Columbia University, New York
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

Now, since you have a valid source of information, for those who wonder which MA/MSc program is a good stepping-stone for top 10 PhD.......you could grab some idea!

Canuckonomist
11-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Glad you found some info. I want you to know we appreciate your work before I rip into it a little bit. Because we do. That doesn't date when the placements happened, and timing is very important. To clarify what I mean, Queen's puts the following on their MA admissions letter:

"Queen's M.A. graduates who have chosen to continue their graduate studies at the Ph.D. level have gained admission at universities such as the University of California Berkeley, California Institute of Technology, Columbia, Harvard, London School of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Minnesota, Northwestern, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Rochester, Stanford, the University of British Columbia, the University of Toronto, the University of Western Ontario, the University of Wisconsin, Yale, and, of course, Queen's."

By all accounts that beats the heck out of LSE, so is Queen's a better stepping-stone? To show the shakiness of that information, some of the Harvard admits go as far back as the 50's and 60's (we just recently lost an Emeritus prof who was a Harvard Ph.Der coming from a Queen's BA).

So I'm not saying the information you found is useless, it just needs a little temporal context. (Also, AFAWK, those admits could have all been one stellar candidate, 10 years ago).

Canuck

Harry Lime
11-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Doesn't LSE graduate something like 100 MA/MSc students every year? I have a cousin with an MSc in econ from LSE and he runs a funeral home in a 3rd world country. (I'm not kidding.)

norules4suresh
11-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Glad you found some info. I want you to know we appreciate your work before I rip into it a little bit. Because we do. That doesn't date when the placements happened, and timing is very important. To clarify what I mean, Queen's puts the following on their MA admissions letter:

"Queen's M.A. graduates who have chosen to continue their graduate studies at the Ph.D. level have gained admission at universities such as the University of California Berkeley, California Institute of Technology, Columbia, Harvard, London School of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Minnesota, Northwestern, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Rochester, Stanford, the University of British Columbia, the University of Toronto, the University of Western Ontario, the University of Wisconsin, Yale, and, of course, Queen's."

By all accounts that beats the heck out of LSE, so is Queen's a better stepping-stone? To show the shakiness of that information, some of the Harvard admits go as far back as the 50's and 60's (we just recently lost an Emeritus prof who was a Harvard Ph.Der coming from a Queen's BA).

So I'm not saying the information you found is useless, it just needs a little temporal context. (Also, AFAWK, those admits could have all been one stellar candidate, 10 years ago).

Canuck

Hi, yes I thought about that, but I put that because when I found that info I felt like I found something that can't be found easily...besides the website has data pertaining to 2007-08 (that's the latest), but that obviously doesn't answer the question of the year of placements, but 1 thing I can be sure of now is that LSE has the history of sending people to top 10.........that information from a valid source means alot to me.

norules4suresh
11-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Doesn't LSE graduate something like 100 MA/MSc students every year? I have a cousin with an MSc in econ from LSE and he runs a funeral home in a 3rd world country. (I'm not kidding.)

Well, I assume you are trying to be funny....one can do whatever he wants no matter from where he gets graduated, guess not?

Harry Lime
11-26-2010, 02:33 PM
It's my curse that whenever I try to be funny people think I'm serious, and when I'm serious people think I'm trying to be funny.

SlowLearner38
11-26-2010, 02:50 PM
It's my curse that whenever I try to be funny people think I'm serious, and when I'm serious people think I'm trying to be funny.

Says the boy who cried wolf...

Irrational
11-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Do you mind sharing your source with us?

norules4suresh
11-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Nope I don't!

Economics Postgraduate Careers - Economics - Graduate destinations - Departments & Institutes (A-Z) - Graduate destinations - Careers Service - LSE (http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/graduateDestinations/economics/postgraduatecareers.htm#generated-subheading1)

norules4suresh
11-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Haha yes I have often seen your posts, and mostly I LoLd, also your avatar looks quite sarcastically funny........

econger
11-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for sharing this information.
You don't have some information about the Oxford MA placement as well, do you? Just because they are making a huge secret around it as well...

joako
11-26-2010, 10:35 PM
indeed it would be good and usefull to get info on placements on the uk giants masters in one topic! since they seem to "hide" (or not show) them for some reason

norules4suresh
11-27-2010, 03:11 AM
indeed it would be good and usefull to get info on placements on the uk giants masters in one topic! since they seem to "hide" (or not show) them for some reason

Actually I thought the same, but I realised their pages are designed in a different format.

Regarding Oxford's placement, I saw one CV of a top 3 unis student before 2-3 years and he did Oxford MPhil, but a notable thing was he did his BA from Harvard!

And regarding Cambridge, it placed a student of Mathematical Tripos to top 3, that was quite unique case because the student has not taken a single Economics course(but for what I know, the students in Part III Mathematical Tripos can take any course he wants in any of the departments, but it won't add to his credit )!

lucette
12-05-2010, 04:35 AM
For what it's worth, I was LSE MSc Econ class of 2009, and the PhD placements I know about are:
Chicago, Stanford, Berkeley, Wisconsin-Madison, UI-Urbana Champagne, and a bunch at LSE (if you get a distinction in the program, you get an offer to the LSE PhD, so a number of people did that). There may be some that I'm missing. Of the subset of people who came in really wanting to do a PhD, my impression is that most fared well.

Maldini
12-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Hi lucette,
I know the MSc program is a one-year program. So students don't get any grades on their transcript when applying to PhD programs. How strong could faculty members write for their MSc students without knowing how good they are? I don't think schools in the US will admit students just because they are doing a master's degree at LSE, without knowing how good they are. Anything will be appreciated!

lucette
12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Maldini,
Great question :)

1) You are correct, you will not have any official grades by december/january; you will, however, have "mock exam" grades in december. Some people send these grades along with their applications (the MSc secretary will print them/send them). I did not send them; Berkeley did request them, though.

2) The profs won't know you well at all, unless you get a research gig very early on, or show up at their office hours with something to talk about. I did not have any LSE professors write me letters. By January/Februray, I had made a good connection with one prof, and she volunteered to report on my performance should schools desire more information.

3) "I don't think schools in the US will admit students just because they are doing a master's degree at LSE, without knowing how good they are. " I agree and disagree :) I think that going to LSE in the first place is a very strong signal of your ability and dedication, and you certainly leave the program ready to tackle top US PhD programs. American schools know this; I've heard Chicago, Stanford, and Harvard profs speak highly of the quality of preparation LSE provides.

Hope that helps!