PDA

View Full Version : listing other schools you're applying to

extracredit
11-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Is it recommended to list the schools you are applying to? Some programs are asking applicants to list other institutions. Is there a trick to this?

Should I list those schools I'm applying to that are of similar ranking?

Any ideas?

I apologize if this was answered before, nothing came up when I searched.

Thank you.

dreck
11-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Since there weren't enough spots to list all the schools in most applications, I just put the similarly-ranked places. I have no insider information on how this is used by admissions committees.
It would be pure speculation to think that a school might do something like admit you without funding if they see you're applying to a much better school that they project you'll be admitted to with funding. I had one admit (Texas-Austin) where the declined to offer me funding because they thought I would get in somewhere better (they turned out to be right). But whether that came from my list of schools is anyone's guess.

Osmanov
11-27-2010, 06:48 PM
That's exactly what I've been wondering. Why do they ask other schools I apply? That's none of their business.

invariance
11-28-2010, 04:57 AM
According to my experience, I told my list and I was rejected by 2 universities in top 30-50 rank. Later, I got acceptance from top10-20 ranking.

I guess that adcom expected that I would reject their offers so they didn't send me.

joako
11-28-2010, 08:48 AM
it doesnt seem good to list the other schools youre applying to in your sop if the school youre writing that sop for is below the average school youre applying to
"how much below" i do not know (rhymes :))

extracredit
11-29-2010, 07:55 AM
so it's better to

a) list the schools ranked below the school you're applying to?

or

b) list nothing

taurenchieftain
11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I have this question too. Just some schools around the school you are applying to I guess. I guess I dont want to look as if they are a reach school for me and I am not confident myself.