PDA

View Full Version : Help in GMAT Preparation

spaneri
09-29-2002, 09:06 PM
I have been preparing for GMAT using the Kaplan book and CD ROM. I only get 550 on the first two Kaplan practice tests. I find the sections difficult to complete. I am worried about this.

I need to get around 610-620. I am going to start with the PowerPrep and Official Guide next week. I heard that usually people score more on the actual GMAT than Kaplan tests. If so then approximately how much improvement is possible?

I am taking the GMAT on 10/23. I plan to do the 2 Powerprep and 1 PR tests before this. I will also do the practice questions in the Official Guide. Are the questions in the Official Guide close to what I can expect on the actual test(in both Math and Verbal)?

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Satyen

Erin
09-30-2002, 05:35 AM
Here's something you might want to read from this post:

http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=516

Well, there is simply no source of material that represents the current state of the GMAT. Not the Official Guide, not Kaplan's or Princeton Review's books, not even the infamous GMAT+ (more on that later). In a word, for most people there is no product, no book, no software that will accurately predict your score on test day. I know that many of you will say that you have taken x test and received x score, and that that score was the same as your real score on the real GMAT. However, I have seen very few students receive a score on any of the practice tests within about 10% of their score on the real GMAT.

From my experience, it's a bit easier to get a high score on the Kaplan materials than on the real test. AND, you should not even study without official material. If you hang around this group or others like it, you will quickly found out that many people are cramming with only official material. It's the only way to go.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction, Satyen.