PDA

View Full Version : deleted

newdelta
11-27-2010, 11:52 PM
deleted

enginecon
11-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Since your own uni has a top-40 econ department, it would seem to me that your best shot to get into a solid econ PhD is simply to transfer internally from ARE to econ... don't you have a lot of common courses anyway? Many ARE PhD programs have the exact same sequence of 1st year micro/macro/metrics courses taken by the econ PhD students... isn't that the case in your uni?

To me it sounds like your SOLE purpose in transferring is to try to "upgrade" from a top-40 to a top-10, since you are also applying to Berkeley ARE. I am sorry to say that I do not find your rationale compelling, and I expect that most top ADCOMs will agree.

A top-40 US econ program is surely in the top 100 in the world, possibly even the top 60 or so... for you to through away a lot of time and effort just to jump from a very strong department to a marginally stronger one, does not reflect favourably on your approach and priorities. This will also be weighted by ADCOM's...

...to reiterate your very best shot is your own econ department... you WILL NOT upgrade beyond that.
Even if you could not "officially" transfer to your own econ department, you could de-facto work with econ profs interested in your work, even if you formally stay in ARE... ultimately the job market will judge you more for your actual work, than for the official "label" of your diploma.

donhunz
11-28-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't see it as negative as engineecon. Except your low AW score your profile is really good and you should go ahead. Also, you chose the right schools already for your interest in Time Series. You might consider Iowa if it's any better than your school now.

newdelta
11-28-2010, 01:25 AM
:)deleted

newdelta
11-28-2010, 01:27 AM
deleted

whatdoido
11-28-2010, 01:55 AM
enginecon, thanks for your comments!

The reason for my application is for my research interest, I would like to do econometrics, but there are few professors here, both in ARE and Econ. I even can not find an advisor for my current research project except professors from stat.

I would like to choose academic in the future, I want to pursue a field that most exciting to me, not just a degree. Since it matters the rest of life of research, so, it is not a big cost of time to start at a new program, which might not very top but there are professors I want to work with.

I didn't see it as the OP using the program as a stepping stone but now I see. That's cold.

valelee
11-28-2010, 04:14 AM
Since your own uni has a top-40 econ department, it would seem to me that your best shot to get into a solid econ PhD is simply to transfer internally from ARE to econ... don't you have a lot of common courses anyway? Many ARE PhD programs have the exact same sequence of 1st year micro/macro/metrics courses taken by the econ PhD students... isn't that the case in your uni?

To me it sounds like your SOLE purpose in transferring is to try to "upgrade" from a top-40 to a top-10, since you are also applying to Berkeley ARE. I am sorry to say that I do not find your rationale compelling, and I expect that most top ADCOMs will agree.

A top-40 US econ program is surely in the top 100 in the world, possibly even the top 60 or so... for you to through away a lot of time and effort just to jump from a very strong department to a marginally stronger one, does not reflect favourably on your approach and priorities. This will also be weighted by ADCOM's...

...to reiterate your very best shot is your own econ department... you WILL NOT upgrade beyond that.
Even if you could not "officially" transfer to your own econ department, you could de-facto work with econ profs interested in your work, even if you formally stay in ARE... ultimately the job market will judge you more for your actual work, than for the official "label" of your diploma.

So nowadays people just use ARE programs as vehicles towards Econ programs or top ARE programs...

AREStudentHopeful
11-28-2010, 06:00 AM
First off, I don't think any aspirations of transferring from Berkeley ARE to econ would work out so well. I'm sure the econ department has views against that because they don't want to open a "back door" to their program as much as the ARE dept. would not want their program to become a back door. Secondly, with your interests, I would think the only argument you could make for an ARE program is one strong in econometrics for ag commodity pricing (hence, the "financial metrics" part). As for macro, I don't think there is an argument. I agree with the apparent opinion of valelee that it's a disservice to ARE PhD departments to try and use them as a stepping stone to an econ department.