PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for choosing schools

GOLD
11-30-2010, 12:53 AM
I am an international applicant and my emphasis is Public Economics. I'd like to get a faculty position or work in governments being an advisor on policies, etc.. However I am not that excellent, could you help me choose some schools which has good and promising programmes or faculty but not very competitive?

Thank you very much!

GOLD
11-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Schools that "better than we think".

Canuckonomist
11-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Someone's going to say it eventually, so I'll save you some time, and get you to reformulate your question earlier rather than later.

You've given us NO information about yourself other than the fact that you're 'not excellent', you're interested in Public Econ, but you want a faculty or government advising position and want to attend a good or rising program that's not that competitive, but is a 'diamond in the rough' in terms of being better than everyone thinks it is. So, more information about your academic profile is necessary. Further, it helps to have some idea of some schools you've looked at (check econphd.net, NRC, and various other sites for rankings in economics field of certain schools) for two reasons: 1) it helps us narrow the field for you, and; 2) you're not asking us to do all the leg-work finding you programs. You're supposed to want to do a research degree, so you need to get out there and do some research about it. Just a little research to help us help you (you don't need to write a book about it first). Using the search function for this forum, you might be able to find similar threads with similar questions, that have answers. The search function is so under-used on this forum. We're not all unique in our questions, and chances are that someone else has asked the same question in the last few years.

Just some thoughts to get you started, because with a post like that, you're unlikely to get any responses that aren't random out-of-a-hat.

enginecon
11-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Yes, s/he should look at some of the "profile evaluation" threads, to know which information is normally given (GRE scores, GPA's, kind of uni, math, etc., etc.) and provide the equivalent.