PDA

View Full Version : Profile Evaluation

owl233
12-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi, I am a senior from a samll private Cathollic university.
I am interested to go graduate school for economics (MS/MA or PHD)
Major: International Business
GPA: 3.5 Major GPA:3.8
GRE: V700+Q790
Look for offer, what level of university should I apply?

Thank you

enginecon
12-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi, I am a senior from a samll private Cathollic university.
I am interested to go graduate school for economics (MS/MA or PHD)
Major: International Business
GPA: 3.5 Major GPA:3.8
GRE: V700+Q790
Look for offer, what level of university should I apply?

What is your AW-GRE score?
You may want to look at the others profile threads, and give similar information.

owl233
12-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Thanks for replying. I am waiting for my AW-GRE score right now (my expectation is about 3-4).

Math course: Calculus I, Principle of Statistics

Economics course: Principle of Macroeconomics, Microeconmis, International Economics

(those are all I get. It's also what I am worried about.)

No research or teaching experience

Kind of weak profile. Just want get some ideas where I should go.

owl233
12-03-2010, 04:29 AM
What is your AW-GRE score?
You may want to look at the others profile threads, and give similar information.

Thanks for replying. I am waiting for my AW-GRE score right now (my expectation is about 3-4).

Economics course: Principle of Macroeconomics, Microeconmis, International Economics

Elliephant
12-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Without at least intermediate micro and macro, and a heck of a lot more math, the top 50 looks squarely out of your reach. Below the top 50 school choice becomes a function almost exclusively of research interests, so we can't offer anything smart unless you know what you actually want to do in and after grad school. Have a look at the IDEAS rankings (Google it if you haven't already) for a starting point for info regarding which schools have what strengths.

_nanashi
12-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Doing Ph.D. in economics is like doing a Ph.D. in physics. We use more math than undergraduate engineering students do. Do you really know what your getting into? Think about it. A lot of people like econ because they enjoyed analyzing graphs in their undergrad courses and talking about real world issues, but graduate economics and what economist do involves very little of that. This is what a graduate macroeconomics/international economics course looks like.

https://www.u-cursos.cl/ingenieria/2008/2/IN759/1/material_docente/bajar?id_material=181921

You would need to take a lot of math. You probably need to spend another year in school. This is how your schedule should be arranged

Calculus II : Integral Calculus III : Multivariable
Intermediate Micro Linear Algebra
Econ elective Real Anaysis or Intro to Analysis or Proof Writing what would be best
Econ Elective Intermediate Macro
Econometrics Differential Equations or Probability

without any of the named courses that you won't be competitive for any decent program. You will be under prepared for even the lower tier programs. WE still use the same texts the top programs do. Oh yeah you should make A's in most of those courses.

joako
12-03-2010, 08:59 AM
wow... nanashi beauchef?

enginecon
12-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I would not worry too much about the lack of econ... after all, many people get into strong econ/related PhD programs with undergrad work in different QUANTITATIVE fields (engineering, math, etc).

However, math background (or lack of) is considerably more serious.

One relatively strong program that is often cited as being relatively less math oriented than most is George Mason. So that would be an obvious place to check out. However you present math background could still be viewed as weak by them... check out what they recommend.

More generally, the "Austrian School of Economics" (Austrian NOT in the geographical sense) is an approach to econ that places less emphasis on math than others (which is why GM is mentioned). You may want to look for programs that emphasize/specialize-on that particular approach.

_nanashi
12-03-2010, 11:01 PM
If you want to go there, you better be a good fit and they wouldn't take. They are also heteredox, so their department would not have easy time find a job at many traditional universities. They are also a lower ranked program.