PDA

View Full Version : ISSUE 130 Comments welcome! ^_^

dongji87
12-28-2010, 11:29 AM
ISSUE 130 - "How children are socialized today determines the destiny of society. Unfortunately, we have not yet learned how to raise children who can help bring about a better society."

Does the extent to which children are socialized today determine the destiny of society? If it does, as the author asserts, have we learned how to raise children who can help bring us a more promising society? The author thinks we havenít. I concede that appropriately having children socialized is of vital significance to social development, yet its role should never be overestimated as to exceed anything else. Additionally, although most of us know the right way to raise children, our education system does have some problem in educating children to be an overall person.

It's apparent that adequately socialized children will better adapt themselves to society when they are graduated in that an appropriate education of social skills not only help cultivate a good sense of morality, like being brave, sincere, and benevolent, which are badly needed in current society, but it also improves children's capacity for communication, cooperation, and coordination, all of which are significant for the development of our society.

However, itís far from enough only to have children better socialized in order to have a good future. That is, social destiny depends not only on socialization of individuals, but it also depends on something else, which should be more important--- knowledge, professional skill and capacity. Obviously, only when the academic and professional education of children is guaranteed can we ensure a society with tremendous capacity for creativity, innovation and imagination, which are indispensable not only for the development of science and technology, but also for the development of the whole human society. Specifically, if our education only emphasizes having children socialized, then children will feel social pressure and become sophisticated at an early age, which is adverse to their healthy growth and may even make them form a series of bad habits, like being lazy, pursuing wealth, seeking favor or opportunity sheerly by fawning and flattering parents and teachers rather than working hard for their own pursuit.

Nowadays, however, our education system overemphasizes the academic and professional education and is mostly focused on developing students' capacity for logical thinking and analysis, learning special knowledge, and so on, while totally overlooks the significance of emotional education, which plays an important role in having students socialized, though itís apparent to all of us that both are necessary for an effective education system. This is extremely unreasonable in that students with high intelligence level and good professional knowledge but low social skills will find it hard to totally integrate themselves into society. Without adequate social skills and emotional quality, the progress of children's intelligence education will be greatly hindered. They cannot even well control and coordinate their emotion and create good interpersonal relationship, let alone working or studying with a high efficiency.

In sum, we conclude that individual socialization is necessary for social development, yet it is not so crucial that it can determine the social destiny. In addition, educating social skills and educating intelligence are inseparable, and both of them are indispensable for a successful and effective education system. That is, in order to effectively raise children who can bring us a better society, our education system should establish a balance between educating intelligence and teaching social skills. :)

Welcome your comments. This essay lacks some appropriate examples and I really cannot figure out one, hope you can help me deal with the problem. Thanks!

kobeyy
01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
hey your essay is pretty good,maybe you can add some example in your daily life,eg.when u are looking for a job, you found most of companies not only require academic background but also social skills,that means both of them are vital in the society
hope my suggestion can help u^^

helenl
02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I also wrote an essay of this topic. Please give me some suggestions. Thx~~

Socialization refers to the process of inheriting norms, customs and ideologies which provides the individual with the skills and habits necessary for participating within their own society. It ensures the continuity of a certain society and culture. So it's not exaggerating to state that the younger generation is socialized largely determines the future of a society since the process of socialization shapes their attitudes, manners and ways of thinking. In a culture where individualism is promotes so that children are raised to be independent and responsible, heroes who creates business empires out of nothing are expected to emerge and the atmosphere of innovation and creation is expected to exist. On the contrary, in a society of collectivism, children are brought up to believe in the power of all, which is likely to give birth to more corporation and coordination among people either in academic or business circle. To raise a more extreme example, children who were educated to be absolutely supplant to a higher authority, like those under the supremacy of Adolf Hitler, are in high risks of losing critical thinking ability and being accomplices of some injustice authorization.

However, I doubt the assertion that the socialization of children is so important that it determines the destiny of society by itself. A lot of more important economic, cultural and institutional reasons shape the society's future, be it the functioning of market mechanism, the accumulation of physical capital or the establishment of democratic politics. We should care about children socialization but also other issues when considering the progress of a certain society.
Based on the analysis above, I'd say that one cannot say there is an optimal way of raising children for different societies. However, from my own experience, parents and teachers overall are not even close to be great educators. First of all, parents, especially Chinese parents whom I'm familiar with, place too many expectations and set too many restrictions on their children due to fierce competition in modern society. Sometimes children find themselves shouldered with their parents' unrealized dreams so that they are too tired to chase their own.

Sometimes children are forced to thrive hard to fit exactly into the "success" prototype, explicitly speaking, a path starting with straight A transcript, Harvard admission, enviable job and finally a respectable position in a big company, which might be quite far away from the children's ideals and aptitudes. Children brought up in this way is likely to lose their zeal towards life, the ability of critical thinking as well as the courage to follow a path less travelled. A more severe consequence of this is that children will be less aware of the importance of cooperation with personal achievements so highly extolled by their parents and teachers. A society cannot function well with its members care only about their own interests.

In addition, overemphasis on children's intellectual ability is also a problem. Apart from those who show special talents at young age and are educated to be sportsman or artists, most children find themselves burdened with mountains of books and assignments. Parents and teachers care much about whether children can score high in math, English and physics and consign physical and artistic education to oblivion. I cannot say a society with young people who are fatter and less healthy can be called better. Also I think it is not an improvement if a society becomes so boring that younger generation lose the ability to appreciate the beauty of Beethoven’s music of Van Gogh's paintings.