PDA

View Full Version : What are the WORST TOEFL books?

erdtek
10-01-2002, 02:25 AM
Hello, I obtained "Peterson's TOEFL Success" from the local library and I wonder whether it is a good book ?

If someone has experience with it, please let me know.:)

Erin
10-01-2002, 03:13 AM
I have to say that this book is one of the worst (REA, Kaplan, Peterson's, and NTC are probably the four worst TOEFL books). Stay away from it--it might actually lower your TOEFL score.

Do a search for Peterson's to see the questions people ask about these books.

Fortune
10-01-2002, 03:38 AM
Yes KAPLAN is the worst TOEFL book. It detered me very much from my progress.

vertical_horizon
10-01-2002, 07:46 AM
Hi all!

I'll vote for Arco's 'Teach yourself the TOEFL test in 24 hours' and Peterson's 'TOEFL Flash 2002' as two 'Score harmer of the Year' (Must say that Arco is a branche of Peterson's). And 'Unbearable CD of the Year' award should go to Princeton's with no hesitating :).

BTW, Erdtek and Fortune, you are two very active members, when will you take the TOEFL test then? (Just curious, pardon :D)

-phuong-

erdtek
10-03-2002, 07:16 PM
vertical_horizon, I'll take the TOEFL in the middle of November. I'll apply in Germany, but i haven't choosen the universities. I don't know how much should be my score, but i would like it to be more than 250 :)

sorcerer
10-22-2002, 04:42 PM
hic hic
arco ???
nightmare
i have seen 3 arco books in 3 years 1996, 2000, 2001
same tests, same practices, same everything, except the covers :D

Erin
10-22-2002, 04:46 PM
I like phuong's name, "Score Harmer of the Year." Should we start a separate topic to discuss bad TOEFL books?

vertical_horizon
10-23-2002, 08:05 AM
vertical_horizon, I'll take the TOEFL in the middle of November. I'll apply in Germany, but i haven't choosen the universities. I don't know how much should be my score, but i would like it to be more than 250 :)

erdtek

Believe in yourself, we know you can do it ;)!

hic hic
arco ???
nightmare
i have seen 3 arco books in 3 years 1996, 2000, 2001
same tests, same practices, same everything, except the covers :D

good midnight waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yeah, 'Same Books' but 'Brand New Test'.

I like phuong's name, "Score Harmer of the Year." Should we start a separate topic to discuss bad TOEFL books?
Yes, plzz cuz I'm the one who always likes to criticize others :D.

BTW, congrats to George Manson university for having a Nobel-winning proffesor! Erin you must be the next year winner once there's the prize for Education :D!

Best for you all,

-phuong-

erdtek
10-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Erin, this is a very good idea . In this way we would know what to read and WHY. What are the advantages and the disadvantages of most of the TOEFL books.

Btw, i don't like the grammar of "DELTA's key to the TOEFL" much. Perhaps because I'm fed up with it. But i see that there many readings, so I intend to practice readings .:p

Believe in yourself, we know you can do it !

Thank you Phoung for the nice words. :)

thanh0thanh80
10-26-2002, 05:25 AM
Erin, can u give me some book which is very good to practise TOEFL?

jackie
11-28-2002, 11:49 PM
After all, which book is the best? I got three books from ETS and finish all of them. So which one is worth for me to pratice?

MaliciousHUT
12-10-2002, 02:46 AM
From my point of view, no book is bad or good. All of u just can compare this book is more useful than that one or something like that. I am drastically opposed to phuong's assignment to these book above!
just think of to publish such books, they have researched a lot, rite?

Erin
12-10-2002, 03:31 AM
Trust me, I write a lot of TOEFL material, and it's very difficult to produce quality material. Many of the materials listed in this thread are NOT researched and are put together poorly.

hoang_luong
02-19-2003, 06:34 PM
Well, as far as I can see, no book is bad but it all depends on each individual user of the books. However, if ordered to name the worst book I have ever used so far in preparing for TOEFL, I can say without hesitation that Arco's Exercises is among the worst, since its content is far too easy to be useful to students wanting to score hight on the real test. Doing practice tests from this book is very likely to make us feel that we are doing great progress but we will turn out to perform much worse than are expected. For example, some guys score as high as 630 on the book but it when it comes to the real test, what they managed to achieve is no higher than 570 scores. How come? Do you see the snag behind using the book? It just creates false feelings that you are doing a great job, as well as making great progress, as is shown in practice tests from the book, but the reality shows the opposite.

As far as the best ones are concerned, my choice will be given to the likes of Longman and particularly Cliffnote, for they are designed as books that serve the needs of users at different levels, including advanced students. Just by doing a practice test from Cliffnote and one from the Arco, you'll see how different it will be between them in terms of level of difficulty and relevance of the material that is highly likely to appear in the real test. Cliffnotes is all the more difficult!

Thanks and enjoy your work at TOEFL preparation!

kalaga
02-20-2003, 04:00 AM
Every book you don't use is the worst book you possess.

osolemio
11-25-2004, 05:49 PM
oh my god, i've just brought Peterson's TOEFL Success this morning, hik :(