PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances for a Ph.D program? any advice on possible schools

traderx
09-10-2011, 05:54 AM
PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Bachelor of Commerce from a top Indian College
Undergrad GPA: 75% ( not sure about a GPA)

Type of Grad: M.A Economics ( from a top Indian college)
Grad GPA: 70%

GRE: revised GRE Q 740-800/ V 470-570/ A- NA. Should be +4

Math Courses: Probability theory and Stats, Real Analysis, Multivariate Calculus, Linear Algebra

Econ Courses (grad-level): Advanced Micro, Advanced Macro theory, Public Economics, Operations Research, Econometric Methods, Applied Econometrics, International Trade and Finance, Economics of Growth and Developement, Theory of Money and Finance

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Introduction to Economics

Other Courses: Financial and management accounting, Human resource management, Banking , Indian Taxation, Business Law

Letters of Recommendation: 4 from my econ dept including 1 from dissertation guide. Limited research is done in our college.

Research Experience: Master's dissertation which won the 'best dissertation prize' at my dept.

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Development and Resource Economics, Behavioural Economics

SOP: nothing yet. probably will include my research interests and passion to teach.

Concerns: Quite a few

Worried about the GRE score, especially the verbal. Is the quant score good enough? Should i take the test again? Its only possible in third week of November in my area.

Limited research except for my dissertation thesis. My school didnt have much options.

Grades aren't great either but most are in the top 5 of the class.

LOR's from good profs but they are not known globally.

Other:

Summer intern at top investment bank during undergrad

Completed Level 1 of the CFA program

Over a year work experience with a news agency covering and analyzing economic data,running polls and writing articles.

Applying to: Columbia, NYU, UIUC, Northwestern, U of Toronto, Vanderbilt, Syracuse. Open to suggestions on these.

Any other suggestions and thoughts are welcome especially on the GRE score.

09-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Top programs an 800Q is usually the median so you need to get a perfect score. Even for the lower tiered schools like Vanderbilt or Syracuse your expected to get in the mid 700s. You should apply wider. As an international your class rank is going to be very important as well as if your school has historically placed students into good programs.

EnvEcon
09-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Given your research interests, I suggest also to apply to ARE (agricultural and resource economics) programs (Berkeley, Maryland, UC Davis), whose research areas are usually agriculture, environmental and development.

ededo
09-11-2011, 04:50 AM
rank 20-40? Just Guessing.

tm_member
09-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Unless your school has sent students to top10's recently, then you should not waste your money. Once you get your GRE score, you will have more certainty, but I recommend applying broadly to the top 20-50. 12-14 schools is the norm these days.

Also, don't mention you have a passion to teach... these programs are training you to do research. the teaching bit is an afterthought at all but a handful of schools (Cornell is one, and there must be others, but they still only really care about research).

traderx
09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
thanks for the suggestions and advice

on the GRE, I doubt i'd get an 800 cause i think i got atleast 4 wrong out of the 40 on the Q. But not sure where in the 740-800 range i could land in. Results out only in November first week.
Would taking the GRE a second time reduce my chances of admission? ( Say i score 780 in the 1st attempt and then an 800)

I don't think my school has sent students to the top 10 recently, but historically( before the 2000s) there are many in the top 10 from various departments.

My percentage scores convert to a 3.8 on a 4 scale according to a canadian university website.

mack
09-11-2011, 08:20 PM
As an aside, does Toronto have any good behavioral or development guys?

tm_member
09-12-2011, 12:48 PM
thanks for the suggestions and advice

on the GRE, I doubt i'd get an 800 cause i think i got atleast 4 wrong out of the 40 on the Q. But not sure where in the 740-800 range i could land in. Results out only in November first week.
Would taking the GRE a second time reduce my chances of admission? ( Say i score 780 in the 1st attempt and then an 800)

I don't think my school has sent students to the top 10 recently, but historically( before the 2000s) there are many in the top 10 from various departments.

My percentage scores convert to a 3.8 on a 4 scale according to a canadian university website.

If it has been over ten years since your Undergrad or Master's school sent someone to the top10, then you can consider those as not an option for you. Find out where people from your schools have gone. If the best placement in the past 10 years is top30, that is the top you can really expect.

traderx
09-12-2011, 02:38 PM
thanks for the input tm_guru. Most of the econ grads from the my school did their phd in India or even the UK (not considering due to funding issues).

I know of a few grads from the dept. of political science who went to UPENN, while couple of the science grads went to Cambridge. Guessing this doesn't help.

What would you advice on the GRE? I really doubt if i would get passed 780.

09-13-2011, 05:39 AM
780 is fine. Essentially if you get less than a 770 then you need to consider a retake. Many schools will throw out applications below a certain score and that is usually around 750 or 760 for top 25 departments.

My guy says most departments use GRE as a broad measuring stick. If your GRE isn't competitive with that they consider their competitive range, no matter what the rest of your app looks like. This is the sense I get from the few times I've called grad program directors. It's usually one of the first question they ask, if they ask anything about your profile at all. (Note its considered a bit of a Faux Pas to call about questions related to admission, most of my questions had to do with if if specific faculty was actually at the department. Many people affiliated with NBER/FED/IMF/WORLD BANK are never at the department even if they are not on leave.