PDA

View Full Version : MA in Econ: UIC VS UCD

AnyNameDontCare
04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I got into both master programs at University of Illinois at Chicago and UC-Denver with no funding. My ultimate goal is working in academia; a tenure position at any university with master program or good LAC will be fine. I am not dreaming of working at top50. Here is a pros and cons of each offer, from my point of view;

-UIC's pros: I will upgrade my master into Ph.D. by taking comprehensive exams and I will finish my Ph.D. after five years. Funding beyond my master is possible but not guarantee. It is in Chicago. Cons: its academic placements are not good. In other words, it usually does not place in academia. Only good at health, labor, and maybe applied econometric. I am not sure whether my research area of interest matches this or not.

- UCD's pros: A decent placement at Ph.D. programs. I will gain a research experience. Cons: I am wondering whether it worth to waste this two years doing master in order to move up from UIC into top 30-50 programs. Moreover, I am afraid that I do not even secure a top 50 placement after it!

Here is my profile in order to help you while advising me:
Undergrad: Bachelor of Commerce in Economics from good university at Middle East usually place economics students out of top 40 Ph.D. program.
Undergrad GPA: overall 3.8.
GRE: 161Q / 138V / 3.0 AWA ... Definitely will retake it in case I will attend UCD and re-apply after two years.
Math courses: Math Econ (Excellent), Math I&II (both Good), Stat for Econ (Very Good), Stat I (Good) Stat II (Excellent) ... I know it is awful but this is my big concern!
Econ courses: All of them (Almost all Excellent)
Research Experience: NA
Teaching Experience: TA for principle of Micro and intermediate Macro.
Research area of interest: I am afraid I am not sure about it. Maybe international or labor.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

tm_member
04-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Why can't you go to UIC, do the MA, and apply to PhD programs, if you don't get in anywhere worth moving for, then stay there?

AnyNameDontCare
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Why can't you go to UIC, do the MA, and apply to PhD programs, if you don't get in anywhere worth moving for, then stay there?

I thought about this but I think that UIC's master is not designed as a preparation for Ph.D.. Moreover, I read some bad reviews about UIC that it isn't a good place to attend!