PDA

View Full Version : MA in statistics and applied math

chrishacker
10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
As an economic major, I am considering a maths or statistics MA now (I wouldn't say a word for the US Eco MA except Duke and Tufts...and except for a few Econ Ma in CA and Euro, I consider that I need more alternatives). I have taken abstract algebra and basic RA(it's mainly Lebesgue's Integral theory, 'abstract' measure theory is not included), and I know about basic analysis and linear algebra, though I didn't take the course. Well, I am wondering whether I am qualified for a MA or MS degree which is designed for, say, people who need advanced maths in industry and secondary school teachers. And will it increase my chance to get a Phd in economics, or give me a non-zero probability in math or statistics Phd (I haven't done any research in these areas, thus I am not sure whether I'll like it)? Thanks.

yankeefan
10-13-2012, 11:50 PM
You can try the MA program at Hunter college. It's designed for people who didn't major in math and want to go into industry.

chrishacker
10-14-2012, 06:33 AM
You can try the MA program at Hunter college. It's designed for people who didn't major in math and want to go into industry.
Glad to know that. But I would say I don't want to develop a math career in industry, I want to develop in academia instead. But after all, any academic-oriented math program isn't going to give my an admission, isn't that?

chateauheart
10-14-2012, 07:17 AM
I don't see any reason to get an MA in math/statistics for someone who has already went through Lebesgue integration. Get an MA in economics instead.