PDA

View Full Version : What rank of programs do you think I'm qualified for?

noumenon
10-13-2012, 06:42 PM
I want to get a PhD in economics, but my academic record is less than stellar. After majoring in economics at a major state university in the US (GPA = 3.77 in last two years, 3.22 overall) I got into the econ PhD program at UC Riverside. Not the most highly ranked program, but it was very rigorous. I made it through a year with mostly B's (3.24 average) before I decided to leave the program (had kind of an existential crisis). I am now considering trying for the PhD again. In the meantime I took some math classes such as advanced calculus (real analysis) and got A's. My letters of recommendation are probably not going to be very strong because I'm a pretty quiet student and none of my professors know me very well.

I know I have no chance at the top 10 programs, that goes without saying. But I'm wondering, realistically, what rank of programs could I expect to get into? Is UC Riverside the best I can expect (assuming they accept me again)?

I have read some threads here about getting a masters in econ, math, or statistics first. Would you recommend this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time respond.

mathemagician
10-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Did you take/pass the prelims?

noumenon
10-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes, I made one attempt and passed the micro exam on the PhD level and the macro exam on the master's level. I had two more tries left for the macro one.