PDA

View Full Version : PhD or MA again!

Mariya85
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm going to apply for PhD in Economics for fall 2013. I have BA in economics with 2.9 GPA and MA in Economics with 3.3. I will take GRE next month. Do you think it's better for me to apply for a MA again (because of my GPA) or should apply for PhD.

mathemagician
10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Why would you want another MA? At least most US universities only do direct PhD admissions. I know the European universities usually have separate MA and PhD programs but you run the risk of never being able to move to the PhD if you start the MA path.

jrdonsimoni
10-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Mathemagician is right, perhaps if could give us a bit more information on your intentions it would help improve the advice we can give you :)

Like are you going after a US or EU PhD? and what kind of BA/MA did you get (as in how advanced was the material covered for instance)? And also what kind of range are you looking at for applications ? :) these are just to give us some context :D

Mariya85
10-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Thank you friends for your attention, I know this is a risk but I think my math courses are not enough for PhD admission.
Well.. It is my information:
BA in economics, 2 Microeconomics, 2 Macroeconomics, 2 basic mathematics, 2 statics, 2 accounting, 1 econometrics, 1 agriculture economics, 1 international economics, 1 development economics, international financing and 1 resource economics. (I have no idea how these can cover advanced learning.)

MA in economics (planning the economic systems), 1 advanced microeconomics, 1 advanced macro, 2 dynamic systems, 1 mathematics for economics, 1 econometrics, 1 development economics. (of course my scores were so much better in MA, I got a A+ in my final thesis)

I have good research experiences with systematical approach in tourism, employment and business environment, also work experiences in financial managing in the landscape design. 2 presentation in international conferences and 1 English paper in a journal (not ISI).

I can get 90 percent of GRE I guess! IBT: 93
interest: environmental economics (love it so much!), sustainability studies, development economics.

I'm thinking of 50-70 rank, but in fact the funding is much more important for me. And.. I'm going after a US PhD in the first place and second a EU PhD.
that's it!