PDA

View Full Version : Software for managing research papers

soapcase
10-27-2012, 11:03 PM
I have a whole lot of papers saved on my computer that I would like to classify. I don't like to use folders because most of the times the papers cover multiple topics. Do you guys know of any software that can help me organize - something like an iTunes but for research perhaps? Thanks so much.

OneArmedEcon
10-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Zotero. It's free and very customizable.

mcsokrates
10-28-2012, 02:38 AM
I've been using Mendeley, which integrates with BibTex/LaTex pretty well once you get to the writing stage.

chateauheart
10-28-2012, 02:46 AM
I've tried two, Mendeley and Papers 2, and I prefer the former.

Humanomics
10-28-2012, 03:01 AM
The highlighting and commenting functions on acrobat reader are garbage. I await anxiously a response to the suggestions I made on their website six months ago. In the meantime, can anyone recommend reading software that allows you to annotate in a natural way (e.g. blocking paragraphs, underlining without an obnoxious caution-sign yellow brush, stars, checks, etc). Downloading Mendeley as we speak -- thanks!

Tikal
10-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Another vote for Mendeley.
That being said, you still need to have excellent organizing skills to fully take advantage of Mendeley. That is what I lack --> my Mendeley are still terribly organized.

Ondrej
10-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Didn't say which platform. I tried everything mentioned above, but always returned to the super simple BibDesk (Mac only).

Humanomics
10-28-2012, 07:36 PM
I think I'm just going to get a printer for home.

mcsokrates
10-28-2012, 11:17 PM
I think I'm just going to get a printer for home.

Even though I have a tablet and use it for reading extensively, I can't get on board the annotation with stylus train. So in addition to the use of Mendeley for pdf's, I also have a much less well organized system of piles of dead tree articles on my desk with various scribbles on them. Of course I get free printing through the department, hence the tragedy of the commons that is my desk.

felixinomist
10-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Zotero and Papers2 are the most comfortable. Although I recently dropped papers2 because the pdf file naming can be disaster if you're not careful. I love that Zotero has this sensing thing on the url bar that captures all the file data very neatly. though I like Papers interface better :P I wish I can merge them!

Humanomics
10-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Dept secretary will let me print, but I'm always researching at home with no printer and usually following a breadcrumb trail while I'm hot on one idea or another, and want to read and annotate as soon as I download a new paper. I think getting a printer at home is the best idea here. Lots of PDFs are images where you can't highlight with the viewers too. Annoying.

As I understand it, American forestry is pretty much at replacement equilibrium and save the trees ethics are a cultural hangover from first-wave 1970's environmentalism. I'm also on my second roommate who thinks using less dishwater and "if its yellow let it mellow" are viable ways to mitigate the water supply . . . in a world where >90% of water gets used by agriculture and large scale industry.

Tikal
10-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Dept secretary will let me print, but I'm always researching at home with no printer and usually following a breadcrumb trail while I'm hot on one idea or another, and want to read and annotate as soon as I download a new paper. I think getting a printer at home is the best idea here. Lots of PDFs are images where you can't highlight with the viewers too. Annoying.

As I understand it, American forestry is pretty much at replacement equilibrium and save the trees ethics are a cultural hangover from first-wave 1970's environmentalism. I'm also on my second roommate who thinks using less dishwater and "if its yellow let it mellow" are viable ways to mitigate the water supply . . . in a world where >90% of water gets used by agriculture and large scale industry.

knowing very little about the accounting of resources here, I figured eat less, drive less, and have less unnecessary cloth or other items are probably much more effective way to leave a small resource footprint. School supplies are used to increase the productivity and should be the last item to cut on spending.

Humanomics
10-29-2012, 03:27 AM
I pledge allegiance to the flag every time I eat beef.

Humanomics
10-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Also -- somebody please for the love of God demonstrate empirically that the second derivative on natural resource extraction curves is negative.

Humanomics
12-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Got a Brother HL-2207DW for Christmas, and am currently wirelessly printing a paper I downloaded, two sided, laser crisp. Boom. Now all I need is a stapler, three ring punch, more binders, and a bookshelf. Doin' it raw.

evergreen
12-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Lots of PDFs are images where you can't highlight with the viewers too. Annoying.

If you have a copy of Adobe Professional, it lets you OCR images and then it can read the text and you can highlight it and annotate as you please. Maybe other software also has this function?

Humanomics
12-26-2012, 11:22 PM
I have Adobe Reader X, the freeware. Does anyone know if printing papers that are images is a ton slower and takes up more toner, even on a monochrome laser printer? And if so, is there freeware OCR software so I can convert them before printing?

Personally I'm loving getting back to a pencil. When I'm done reading a page, I look back at all the block outlining, underlining, stars in the margins, and comments, and think: "Oh, what a scholar!"

evergreen
12-27-2012, 05:33 AM
OCR-ing something will not change the amount of toner used. You will use more toner if the scan was crappy and there's gray scale in the background.
If you really wanted to get rid of the excess you could use Adobe photoshop to remove the background (by using magic wand). It's not worth the effort.

Humanomics
12-27-2012, 05:49 PM
^Yeah, true. For some reason I was thinking the larger image file would translate into a bigger burden on the printer. Will it take more time to send an image to the printer? Or does the driver on my machine convert whatever document into a small, generic bitmap before it sends the job?

anonecon
12-27-2012, 06:49 PM
PDF X-Change viewer is free and has OCR capabilities.

Humanomics
12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
deleted

OneArmedEcon
12-27-2012, 08:32 PM
If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro, there's a feature (I think it's under "Document") called "Optimize Scanned PDF Image." It can dramatically reduce the size of a scanned document, which will allow your printer to print it faster. Not sure whether it would reduce the amount of toner used.