PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestion !!

imdad
10-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi,
After doing my master in Economics ( got 63 % ) from University of Calcutta ( India ) in 2005 admitted for M.Phil Program ( got 6.9/9 CGPA) in Economics at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in India in 2006 .
When I was doing my M.Phil I decided to do my P.hD from US . Then I took GRE ( 780 quants and 330 verbal ) and TOEFL (84/120) and luckily got admission at University of Houston (Texas) in Economics as soon as i completed my M.Phil in 2009.
Being unsuccessful in second attempt in macro comp exam they throw me out of the program in 2011.Although I have completed my MA there and got 3.46/4 CGPA.
I was very disappointed , and because of my some personal problem I came back to India and since then have been working as a research assistant at a Research Institute.
But I really want to finish my PhD.
Now If I want to apply for the PhD program I have to retake GRE and TOEFL since those are expired.
Should I take GRE and TOEFL again ?
My age is 31 years now , does age matter for the PhD program ?
Should I go for the PhD program in economics again in US ?
Right now I am married and I have a cute baby also, does all these matter ?

Please give me some suggestions.
I don't want to be defeated !!!
Thanks
imdad

erikeco
10-28-2012, 08:41 PM
I am sorry, but where did you do your BA from? College under CU? I am curious because I'm from the same circuit.

weirdwitch
10-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Hi,
After doing my master in Economics ( got 63 % ) from University of Calcutta ( India ) in 2005 admitted for M.Phil Program ( got 6.9/9 CGPA) in Economics at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in India in 2006 .
When I was doing my M.Phil I decided to do my P.hD from US . Then I took GRE ( 780 quants and 330 verbal ) and TOEFL (84/120) and luckily got admission at University of Houston (Texas) in Economics as soon as i completed my M.Phil in 2009.
Being unsuccessful in second attempt in macro comp exam they throw me out of the program in 2011.Although I have completed my MA there and got 3.46/4 CGPA.
I was very disappointed , and because of my some personal problem I came back to India and since then have been working as a research assistant at a Research Institute.
But I really want to finish my PhD.
Now If I want to apply for the PhD program I have to retake GRE and TOEFL since those are expired.
Should I take GRE and TOEFL again ?
My age is 31 years now , does age matter for the PhD program ?
Should I go for the PhD program in economics again in US ?
Right now I am married and I have a cute baby also, does all these matter ?

Please give me some suggestions.
I don't want to be defeated !!!
Thanks
imdad

Hello. I'm currently in my final undergraduate year at CU, so I'm not sure how qualified I am to answer your questions, but I can assure you that age is not an issue wrt PhD. Many programs have the provision of you moving to campus with your family. If you're intent on finishing what you started and devoting yourself to academics subsequently, you should definitely go for it. Best of luck.

imdad
10-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Hello. I'm currently in my final undergraduate year at CU, so I'm not sure how qualified I am to answer your questions, but I can assure you that age is not an issue wrt PhD. Many programs have the provision of you moving to campus with your family. If you're intent on finishing what you started and devoting yourself to academics subsequently, you should definitely go for it. Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply and sharing information.

pemdas
10-29-2012, 07:58 PM
let me be open with you and suggest not to plan on pursuing a PhD. Your academic history with failing grades (sorry for the reminder), yourself being MPhil program graduate (somewhat fresh acad. wise) and inability to pass through prelims, all put a high risk on your capacity to pass prelims at this time if you get a PhD admission and spend one-two years in the program. Moreover, you have family to secure, and I am not sure how it's possible to sustain with family if you aren't financed - such possibility exists now even with higher probability because you were out of school for the last 3-4 years.

It's too late to ask about GRE exam for applying to a PhD in the fall 2013, unless you are being a GRE instructor and can sit for the test immediately. Moreover, you spent post-graduation time as a research assistant - does this pay much at your institution? What are your functions? Do you have any published articles?

With your experience people sitting at AdCom tribune would seek answers on the questions re your research potential, because you spent some time at the institution you mentioned.