PDA

View Full Version : Purdue ARE

gradeconomist
11-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Can anybody tell me how difficult it is to get into this program. I posted my profile on the TM sometime ago, and most people suggested me to look into top 40-60 program range.
I was wondering whether Purdue's ARE program fall into that range.
Thanks for the help.

EnvEcon
11-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Short answer: It depends by your profile, but it's worth a try anyway.

Long answer: For the comparison with top 40-60, it really depends what you are looking for. As far as I know, they are doing a lot of work in energy modelling, climate change and land use, generally using computable general equilibrium. Also, they have a good international trade research group called GTAP.
Apart very top schools, generally one program is specialized in some specific fields (especially ARE programs). The ranking changes between different fields. Also you might want to look at their placements.

Go to their site and look at what people is doing there. If you think you are interested in what they are doing, definitely apply there.

viniciusgv
11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Purdue Economics Dept is in the top 50 range. Although, I couldnīt find an specific position for the ARE program...

gradeconomist
11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys

Walras
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I'd agree with vini about Purdue econ, and I'd put Purdue ARE as equivalent to being outside the top 60 (probably outside top 100, in my subjective opinion) in terms of difficulty of admissions, and placement prospects.

P.S. ARE rankings are generally not informative because outside of the top 3 or 4 schools there's almost no difference in how people seem to perceive your degree, and in general academic placement prospects fall off a cliff.

starfisher
11-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I'd agree with vini about Purdue econ, and I'd put Purdue ARE as equivalent to being outside the top 60 (probably outside top 100, in my subjective opinion) in terms of difficulty of admissions, and placement prospects.

P.S. ARE rankings are generally not informative because outside of the top 3 or 4 schools there's almost no difference in how people seem to perceive your degree, and in general academic placement prospects fall off a cliff.

Really? I would be very upset if it was true...

Do you mean their chance to get in econ departments is equivalent to those from outside top60? Or even in ARE system, they will be treated the same?

I can't remember where and when I heard people talking about ARE, but I get the impression that programs like Purdue ARE are still decent within the system....

Do you mind give a more specific explanation? Thanks!

Walras
11-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Really? I would be very upset if it was true...

Do you mean their chance to get in econ departments is equivalent to those from outside top60? Or even in ARE system, they will be treated the same?

I can't remember where and when I heard people talking about ARE, but I get the impression that programs like Purdue ARE are still decent within the system....

Do you mind give a more specific explanation? Thanks!

Purdue ARE is decent within the ARE system, but if you're interested in going into academia you need to understand that it's an uphill battle to get into an econ dept. and if you're on the ARE job market, the ARE job market is weaker then the Econ job market. First of all, the ARE job market is tough because ARE departments (unlike econ departments) like to hire people from econ depts. Thus, there are a lot more ARE openings being filled by econ students then econ openings being filled by ARE students.

Add in the fact that the pool of openings is a lot smaller then for econ. This means that the output of students from the top 3 or 4 ARE programs takes up the same share of the ARE job market that the top 30 econ programs take up of the Econ job market. Finally, add to all of this that ARE departments are not growing like econ departments have been for the last 20 years. There has been a very small but steady trend to reduce replacement of faculty and/or merge them into the econ or enviro depts .to save $. Admittedly, this only has a small effect on the job market, but along with everything else it makes the ARE job market look more like other humanity fields then like the econ job market. Of course, stars from programs like Purdue ARE are still going to be able to get academic jobs, but if you're not going to be a star you should go into it being okay with possibly winding up in the private or govt. sector.

starfisher
11-12-2012, 03:00 AM
@Walras, Thanks for your insight! Very helpful:)

gradeconomist
11-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys... I have applied to the program !! lets see whats happens ...