PDA

View Full Version : For those of you making big decisions soon I thought you might like this

Walras
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
How To Avoid Choosing the Wrong Job or House: Fight the Distinction Bias ? PsyBlog (http://www.spring.org.uk/2008/05/how-to-avoid-choosing-wrong-job-or.php)

TLDR: When making housing and job decisions we tend to overestimate the value of quantitative measures, and underestimate the value of qualitative measures.

Humanomics
02-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Good thought, man.

ForbiddenDonut
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
So you're saying that with Florida State, I'm overemphasizing its low rank and underemphasizing 24/7 sunshine and babes?

alwaysthinking
02-27-2013, 06:45 PM
So you're saying that with Florida State, I'm overemphasizing its low rank and underemphasizing 24/7 sunshine and babes?

Well, i would say you're underemphasizing the effect of being stuck inside working on a problem set while babes frolic in the sunshine :)

hedgequant
02-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Well, i would say you're underemphasizing the effect of being stuck inside working on a problem set while babes frolic in the sunshine :)

This would be so much easier if there were more problem-set-working babes.

Walras
02-27-2013, 07:25 PM
This would be so much easier if there were more problem-set-working babes.

There are a few but they're all married. Interestingly people have told me there is a weak correlation between a woman having a child while in grad school and being a job market star.

Humanomics
02-28-2013, 03:46 AM
There are a few but they're all married. Interestingly people have told me there is a weak correlation between a woman having a child while in grad school and being a job market star.

Apparently child birth feels like World War II fought in your vas deferans. Male pain thresholds to the toilet. Women soon to dominate T5 prelims.