PDA

View Full Version : UPenn Econ 1st Year

2013applicant
01-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I just wanted to reach out to everyone who is interested in going to UPenn this fall to see if anyone has any questions, concerns, etc. I'm currently a first year in the program so while I may not be able to answer much about later years, I can hopefully give some insight into what to expect going in to the program as well as answer some general questions.

Good luck this application season!

2013applicant

Michalz
01-19-2014, 03:13 PM
If I'm accepted to UPenn, I will want to ask some questions for sure. Hopefully this is going to happen ;)

Team3
01-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Was Penn explicit with you about their post-first year target cohort size? Basically, what is the attrition like?

2013applicant
01-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Was Penn explicit with you about their post-first year target cohort size? Basically, what is the attrition like?

There's no quota for letting people through to 2nd year. Penn has enough money to fund everyone starting in the 2nd year so they can take as many students as they would like. That being said, traditionally around 18-20 of a cohort of 25 make it to 2nd year. Last year was an exception; they actually took 24 to the 2nd year from a cohort of 29. From what many of the older years have told me, Penn is trying to reverse its reputation of failing out many after the first year. If you look through some past threads, there should be some statistics somewhere on Penn's first year attrition. If I can dig it up, I'll be sure to post it.

There's one other thing I would like to note about our attrition. Penn's belief is that it's better to fail you out the first year than for you to waste an additional one or two years of your life working on a phd if it really isn't for you. So if they don't think this is what you really want to do (which more times than not is reflected in your grades), they're going to let you go. This is pretty consistent with the attrition rates here: conditional on you passing the prelims, there's approximately an 80-90 percent chance that you'll finish your phd. I would say that this is probably much higher than many schools.

kyrtap22
01-20-2014, 02:04 AM
i know that penn posts that it recommends competitive applicants to compete analysis, topology, and measure-theoretic probability-- how many members of your class actually have all 3?

2013applicant
01-21-2014, 01:16 PM
i know that penn posts that it recommends competitive applicants to compete analysis, topology, and measure-theoretic probability-- how many members of your class actually have all 3?

That's a tough question. Part of the issue is that many foreign students are exposed to this material through their econ classes whereas most Americans will gain exposure to these classes through their math departments. Off the top of my head, I can only think a handful, maybe 3-4, who have taken measure theory. As for analysis, I'm pretty sure everyone in our class has either taken it directly or has been exposed to it in some form or fashion with the exception of one person. Topology is pretty common as well. I would say at least half of the class probably has taken it. Some even went on to algebraic topology in undergrad, and some people have master's degrees in math. If you've taken topology and two analysis classes and have done well in them, I would say that you're going to be a competitive applicant.