PDA

View Full Version : Profile evaluation for a weak candidate

HeyDebaser
01-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm aiming on getting into a top 40 PHD program. I've talked to 1 adviser and she said i should apply this year (more specifically fall of this year, meaning to enter a program in fall 2015) but I think shes too optimistic. I would love to have your opinions on whether or not I should apply this year or if my profile is too weak.

Quick back story on me. Originally attended a top 30 school but dropped out during spring semester as a junior. My Gpa back then was a 2.8 and my majors were Biology and Chemistry. This was over 7 years ago. I returned to school January 2013 and the following is a profile of my current academic career.

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: B.A Economics & Minor Mathematics, 2nd Tier Uni in South Florida
Undergrad GPA: 3.91 (3.96 Econ)
GRE: 167Q, 161V
Math Courses: Calc II-III (A,A), LA (B), ODE (A), Stat I (A), Mathematical Statistics (A), Numerical Analysis (in progress)
Econ Courses: Principles of Micro (A), Principles of Macro (A), Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A), International Trade Theory (A), Money & banking (A), Measurement & Analysis of Economic activity (A), Econometrics (in progress), Intl Macro (in Progress), Developmental Econ (in Progress)
Other Courses: Programming I-II
Letters of Recommendation: Haven't asked for any but I know I could get a good one from a professor who got her phd from a top 40 uni. Another decent one from a prof who graduated from University of chicago a few years ago. Dont have a third candidate yet. Considering that i've been the top score in all my econ classes I should have good LORs but I've been pretty bad about keeping up with my professors after the semester is over
Research Experience: None, but hoping something comes through for summer
Teaching Experience: None
Research Interests: Macro, International Trade, Game Theory, Econometrics
SOP: haven't written
Concerns: B in LA, coming from a non ranked school, only been back in school for a year,
Other: I have a great smile :)
The following is to give you some insight into what my last year would look like. I hope to be allowed to take grad level Econometrics in the fall but i don't know if they will let me. I will also take 2 more math classes plus Math stat II and real analysis before i graduate but both of these won't be till the spring of next year(senior year).

Anyways, I hope you guys could give me some advice on whether or not to apply this year. If you guys think i shouldn't apply could you guys give me some advice on what to do to improve my chances.

If I don't apply this year, or I apply and get rejected then my plans is to finish off my senior year with at least 4 more math classes plus whatever econ classes I have left, and get into a masters program. I hope to have my LORs from my undergrad professors and have my SOP written so i could apply during my time in a masters program. good idea? bad idea? whats a better idea?

Thanks for your time

sulebrahim
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
If you are trying to apply this cycle, some schools still have deadlines in February but you might want to act fast.
It has been mentioned that Oregon is one of the schools with later deadlines but I don't now if there's a website that lists dealdines. You might have to do digging up for yourself.

I think, econ adcomes look at Math and Econ GPAs, so your past record in Chem and Bio should be discounted for the most part, which counts in your favor.

I think your plan makes sense, which is to apply now and have a back up plan if things don't work out or you don't like your options.

Catrina
01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
I disagree. Since most schools have deadlines that have already passed, I think that you would be better off applying next year when you can apply to a wider range of schools and have time to get better LORs.

sulebrahim
01-27-2014, 06:11 PM
doesn't it depend on OP's targets and what schools are still available?
I mean, if OP is porbably in his late 20s age, he might be eager to start already. I don' t know his situation so I may be off.

HeyDebaser
01-27-2014, 10:37 PM
I disagree. Since most schools have deadlines that have already passed, I think that you would be better off applying next year when you can apply to a wider range of schools and have time to get better LORs.

I'm sorry for not being clear. By applying this year, I meant fall of this year in order to enter a program in fall of 2015. If I decided to wait and attend a masters program then I will be applyiing in fall of 2015 in order to enter a program in fall of 2016. I edited the original post to make it more clear.

doesn't it depend on OP's targets and what schools are still available?
I mean, if OP is porbably in his late 20s age, he might be eager to start already. I don' t know his situation so I may be off.

Yup, I'm in my late 20's and am very eager to start but willing to postpone my enrollment if i have to in order to have a better chance at higher ranked schools. Top 40 is the goal but top 20 would be a dream (probably out of reach though).

sulebrahim
01-27-2014, 10:55 PM
I think you would be in good shape, since it's for the next cycle and not this current cycle. Can you posisble take grad micro as well?
As for not having real analysis when you apply? I can't really comment on that, but I do feel like numerical analysis while very different from real analysis still sends a signal, which is that you can do math at a high level.
Are you taking any more math or advanced econ classes in the summer or fall?