PDA

View Full Version : Top 10-20 possible without any RA experience?

pacho
02-01-2014, 02:07 AM
Hi guys, I need your advice.

I'm an economics student at a top latin american university which has a great placement history, every year some students go to top 10 programs. I'm currently a senior student and I've been offered a job at a global investment bank by a professor at my uni but I don't if taking this job will affect my chances to a top 10-20 program because I will not have time to RA. I'm taking some phd level courses and will be doing so for the time to come. My GPA should me 3.88 by the time I graduate and will have a lot of maths, like real analysis, under my belt. I'm not posting my profile in the traditional format because there's some time left until I graduate.

Do you think taking this job opportunity will shut me off a top 10-20 program?

Icculus
02-01-2014, 03:07 AM
I can't weigh in much .. But I do suggest you go talk to your advisors and ask how you scale up to students who have gone to top schools in the past.

You'll get the best information there, in my opinion.

Michalz
02-01-2014, 02:34 PM
When you fill application forms only in few cases they explicitly ask you for your research experience (especially if it's not something you have published). Of course you can put in your CV, but I think that RA experience matters only in letters. When you are RA for a professor, he is likely to describe it in the letter and you can benefit from that.

Kaysa
02-01-2014, 03:33 PM
This post is not intended to be mean because I understand that you are a foreign student. However, your post indicates to me that your English is a bigger problem than your RA predicament.

envirodevonomic
02-01-2014, 03:52 PM
This post is not intended to be mean because I understand that you are a foreign student. However, your post indicates to me that your English is a bigger problem than your RA predicament.

Absolute nonsense. The poster's English is totally fine. There's like three typo's in the post, and they could just as easily have been made by native speakers.

To answer your question - definitely speak with advisors in your school who know the students that previously got accepted into T10 programs and ask what their experience was at the time of applying. You could probably also find their CV's (most PhD students in T10 programs post their CV's by their second or third year) which might list RA experience or any jobs they held between undergrad and starting their PhD.

Kaysa
02-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Absolute nonsense. The poster's English is totally fine. There's like three typo's in the post, and they could just as easily have been made by native speakers.

To answer your question - definitely speak with advisors in your school who know the students that previously got accepted into T10 programs and ask what their experience was at the time of applying. You could probably also find their CV's (most PhD students in T10 programs post their CV's by their second or third year) which might list RA experience or any jobs they held between undergrad and starting their PhD.

It is not nonsense. I've had colleagues toss out applications for much less.

pacho
02-01-2014, 07:21 PM
I will definitely talk to my advisor about this. I did some research and some of the students that got accepted into top 10 programs actually worked at the same investment bank. Actually, the professor that offered me the job worked there for three years and then went to a top 10.

I was worried because I’ve been lurking in this forum for a long time and you guys seem to give a lot of weight to RA.

Thank you very much for the answers!