PDA

View Full Version : University of Western Ontario (UWO) ranking and reputation within Canada and globally

econunivranking
03-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Could you guys comment on any of the following:

1) UWO was considered a top 4 school for grad econ in the past in Canada. Has this changed recently (specifically, has UWO dropped in the ranking)? What ranking, globally and in Canada, would you say the PhD program at UWO currently holds?

2) What is the general reputation of the school in Canada?

3) Is the school known and recognized as reputable in the US?

4) Have you applied to UWO and why? If you have not applied to UWO, but you did apply to other top Canadian schools like U of T, Queens or UBC at either the MA or PhD level, why was that?

5) My general impression from looking at UWO's website is that they would like ppl to continue into their PhD program directly from the MA. Is it possible to get good references from faculty if one decides to stop with an MA and not continue to a PhD, or do members of the faculty generally penalize those in the LORs for lack of commitment?

Your comments are much appreciated.

setsanto
03-13-2014, 07:06 PM
1) UWO was considered a top 4 school for grad econ in the past in Canada. Has this changed recently (specifically, has UWO dropped in the ranking)? What ranking, globally and in Canada, would you say the PhD program at UWO currently holds?

No. UWO is still a top 4 department in Canada. Globally, UWO is approximately top-70 or so, which puts it in line with top-50 departments in the US (comparable to UVA, Johns Hopkins, UC Irvine, Penn State, etc).

2) What is the general reputation of the school in Canada?
As an undergrad institution: a reforming party school. As a grad institution: great place to research.

3) Is the school known and recognized as reputable in the US?
Among the economics community, yes. Western was one of the big names in Canadian econ for much of the 90s, regressed a bit, and is now growing again. Very well known in Human Capital circles and by anyone with a connection to the University of Minnesota.

4) Have you applied to UWO and why? If you have not applied to UWO, but you did apply to other top Canadian schools like U of T, Queens or UBC at either the MA or PhD level, why was that?
I'm doing my undergrad at UWO.

5) My general impression from looking at UWO's website is that they would like ppl to continue into their PhD program directly from the MA. Is it possible to get good references from faculty if one decides to stop with an MA and not continue to a PhD, or do members of the faculty generally penalize those in the LORs for lack of commitment?
The MA program is very much seen as a stepping stone into the PhD program. The MA program is literally just the first year of the PhD program with less funding. I'm not sure why you would pick Western's MA unless you were planning to do the PhD here as well. If it is clear that you would succeed at another department that is a much better fit for you than Western, I imagine you could get some reference letters. That said, the expectation with the MA is that you continue. Think of it like a typical American program that you would enter without an MA.

econunivranking
03-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Thank you for your comments setsanto, very useful. However, what is most disconcerning for me about this school is the fact that many applicants seem to only apply to UBC, UofT and/or Queens in Canada.

What could explain the fact that so many posters on here apply to the other big 3 only, but not Western? Do they think they won't get in b/c of recruitment policies or # of admits, or is there something about the school that they do not like?

I can see that, in your case, you did your undergrad there, and so that's understandable (it is customary to go somewhere else to complete a grad. degree). But what possible explanation could the other posters have?

setsanto
03-15-2014, 01:23 AM
Well I wouldn't apply to Western either because of the (essentially) direct entry to PhD. I'm not ready to take that step yet. It could be that other posters have the same issue, and want to do a 1 year masters before their PhD