PDA

View Full Version : Profile Evaluation (bad GPA; hoping to get into Masters in 2015)

yeuna
11-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Hello guys, I have been only reading others' posts and this is the first time actually posting my own thread here. I will appreciate it very much if you can give an advice to my profile!

So I am an international who finished undergrad in U.S and has come back to the home country (one in Asia) to work as a private tutor.

My record is very weak but I want to try to get a Masters in Econ wherever I can be funded, prior to applying to a PhD.

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: BA in Econ and BA in Math at top 13 Econ PhD

Undergrad GPA: 3.2 (same for major GPAs)
- grading scale: 4.0 (A), 3.5 (AB), 3.0 (B), 2.5 (BC)...

GRE: trying my best for next month's exam (hopefully Q170, V154~ and AW4.5~)

Math Courses:
Calc I (AB), Calc II (C), Calc III (A), Diff Eqns (A), Lin Algebra (B), Intro to Theory of Prob (C), College Geometry (A), Analysis I (C), Modern Algebra (C)
- I paid even less attention as reaching the time of graduation because of all the trips for job interviews :(

Econ Courses (grad-level):

Econ Courses (undergrad-level):
Principles of Micro (AB), Principles of Macro (BC), Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (AB), Game Theory (B), Intro to Econometrics (B), Econ Stats (A), Indus Org (B), Econ of Growth (BC)

Other Courses: not so much

Letters of Recommendation: hope to get average to positive letters from professors who gave me A's...

Research Experience: RA'd for a couple months at the central bank of my country and RA'd for a year (before I work as a private tutor) at a government-owned think-tank (but I mostly played around excel and stata, no publication under my name or anything)

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests: applied micro, public finance and policy econ...

SOP: will try my best!! I will be sincere in explaining how 3 years of undergraduate caused low GPA and be specific in research topics and future goals.

Concerns: bad grades. :(

Other: I have been studying math on my own and now I feel more confident about linear algebra and analysis... :( I want to prove it in classes during Masters so that I can increase my chances getting into a PhD program perhaps...

Applying to:

Please give me any suggestion on the choice of schools. To get funding is quite crucial to me so I care less about the ranking or other qualities of the school in fact...

Your advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!