PDA

View Full Version : Types of experiences suitable for graduate school admissions

NiceToMeetYou
11-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Economic(not equity and such) research experience at universities, i-banks, public or private research institutions, economic consulting firms, central banks, and so on

- are all these legitimate experiences that would look good on a MA or PhD admissions resume?

yankeefan
11-06-2014, 07:21 PM
If your immediate supervisor or the organization that you work for has researchers who regularly publish in peer-reviewed journals (preferably in economics or a closely allied field such as finance) then your work experience has some non-zero value to PhD admissions. The value may not be intrinsic to the job but rather the connections you make while you're on the job [usually connections that lead to favorable LORs].

There is a lot of heterogeneity in MA programs, particularly in the US. For a MA program that is non-research oriented, I would imagine any post-graduate work experience would be of some value, particularly in an analytic position. The biggest factor though, would be your ability to pay tuition and do basic calculus and matrix algebra.

PhDPlease
11-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Economic(not equity and such) research experience at universities, i-banks, public or private research institutions, economic consulting firms, central banks, and so on

- are all these legitimate experiences that would look good on a MA or PhD admissions resume?

i-banking: in general won't add anything to your app. usually is very different from research/academia and the skills you build probably won't be relevant.
public or private research institution: yes, potentially could be quite valuable, although of course it depends on the institution/your project/whether you perform well enough to get a good recommendation, etc.
econ consulting firms: no clear consensus on this. sometimes these firms provide the opportunity to work for supervisor who has a PhD and has spent time in academia and to work on academic papers. you may develop skills such as running regressions in STATA. however, in other cases you might be working for people who do not have a PhD and/or doing things that don't help you build academic/research skills. Also there is a risk that due to it being in the private sector, even if you obtain valuable research skills, some academics might discount the value of the experience
central banks: research assistant position at a central bank can be very valuable and a great learning experience. of course it depends on your specific project, supervisor, that you perform well enough to get a good letter.
research assistant for professor at university: I am adding this category to your list. this is often very helpful to gain a research experience/letter of recommendation, plus there is usually a tuition benefit and it is very convenient to take classes since u are right there on campus

NiceToMeetYou
11-06-2014, 10:49 PM
(sent private message)