PDA

View Full Version : Vacation as a PhD in the US

zweistein
11-10-2014, 10:21 PM
This might be a bit odd question as we are not applying to graduate school to have vacation ;) but getting to the point...I am from Europe and I am not sure if the pros are larger than the cons for me to pursue a phd in the US. One of the biggest cons is that I am worried about getting disconnected from friends and family in Europe. Being able to take some days off twice a year and fly back to Europe would reduce this problem. How many vacations days do you normally have as a PhD student? In Europe you more or less have at least 4 weeks during the summer, is it the same in the US? How many days of do you have during Christmas? Is it only a couple of days or do phd's have some type of winter break as well? I imagine this could differ a bit from school to school, but all input is appreciated :)

rekovu
11-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Three to five weeks in winter, a week in spring, five days for Thanksgiving, 3-4 months in summer. You'll have more vacation than you can handle - whether you use it all is another question.

tm_member
11-11-2014, 01:02 AM
This might be a bit odd question as we are not applying to graduate school to have vacation ;) but getting to the point...I am from Europe and I am not sure if the pros are larger than the cons for me to pursue a phd in the US. One of the biggest cons is that I am worried about getting disconnected from friends and family in Europe. Being able to take some days off twice a year and fly back to Europe would reduce this problem. How many vacations days do you normally have as a PhD student? In Europe you more or less have at least 4 weeks during the summer, is it the same in the US? How many days of do you have during Christmas? Is it only a couple of days or do phd's have some type of winter break as well? I imagine this could differ a bit from school to school, but all input is appreciated :)

You are only expected to be there during the regular semester which varies from school to school but you can expect 26 to 28 weeks of the year. The rest of the time, you can be wherever on the planet suits you.

Of course, you will be expected to work on your research wherever you are. Later in your program, you may be teaching or have other responsibilities in the summer that prevent you from leaving the area for long periods.

For many, it is finances rather than scheduling that prevent trips home. If money is not an issue for you, you will find it reasonably easy to take some time to reconnect with family and friends.

zweistein
11-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks, great info! Then I only have to worry about the finances...

Kaysa
11-11-2014, 04:19 PM
For my graduate institution,

1st year:

3 weeks x-mas
1 week spring

3 months summer assuming you pass quals
3 weeks assuming you fail

2nd year:

3 weeks x-mas
1 week spring

3 months assuming you pass quals
3 weeks assuming you fail

3rd year:

3 weeks xmas
1 week spring
3 weeks fall (work during the summer)

4th year
3 weeks xmas
1 week spring
3 weeks fall (work during the summer)

5th year
Party every day, all day.

saltis
11-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Here is another thread about the same topic. I'm planning on taking interesting and relevant summer research programs. :)

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/110330-does-econ-phd-have-summer-vacation.html