PDA

View Full Version : What to include in a statement of interest?

PureB
11-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Hey, everyone! I am applying for MA programs. Most schools ask for a personal statement. However, several require a statement of interest. Does statement of interest only include my academic interest and research topics I want to work on? Should I talk about my reasons to do graduate work and my future goals?

Can anyone tell me about the difference between statement of interest and personal statement? Thank you for your help!

Econhead
11-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Hey, everyone! I am applying for MA programs. Most schools ask for a personal statement. However, several require a statement of interest. Does statement of interest only include my academic interest and research topics I want to work on? Should I talk about my reasons to do graduate work and my future goals?

Can anyone tell me about the difference between statement of interest and personal statement? Thank you for your help!

There are a few posts on here that should be relatively accessible via the search function. That said, when I came across this when applying to Masters programs some universities implicitely stated the difference that they were looking for. Others, I e-mailed the department to inquire, since it was not clear-cut across all programs.

PureB
11-12-2014, 03:55 PM
There are a few posts on here that should be relatively accessible via the search function. That said, when I came across this when applying to Masters programs some universities implicitely stated the difference that they were looking for. Others, I e-mailed the department to inquire, since it was not clear-cut across all programs.

Thanks for your advice!

Food4Thought
11-13-2014, 11:16 PM
You should seem like youve done your research into the programs. You should be convincing that you are well suited at that program. This often requires you to either comment on the work of the faculty or other unique aspects of the graduate program. For example, Duke economics has you start research immediately after the first year, if I recall correctly. If you were applying there, it would likely be a good idea to comment on this.