PDA

View Full Version : Can I get into the following master's programmes with my GRE score?

cfrv93
11-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Hi,

I just checked for my official GRE scores. I got 162 Verbal, 155 Quant, 4.5 AWA. Do I have a chance at the M1 at TSE, and the RM Economics at Tilburg? Thank you.

tm_member
11-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Hi,

I just checked for my official GRE scores. I got 162 Verbal, 155 Quant, 4.5 AWA. Do I have a chance at the M1 at TSE, and the RM Economics at Tilburg? Thank you.

Without seeing the rest of your profile it is hard to say but I would think you should arrange a retake as soon as possible. 155Q is around the 65th percentile if I remember correctly... that will raise alarm bells even at lower ranked programs.

fantinity
11-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Tilburg will auto-reject you for sure. They want 90 percentile.

cfrv93
11-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Would they even look at my application you think? No time left to retake thr GRE TSE app goes out tomorrow.

ColonelForbin
11-26-2014, 05:19 PM
No. I do not think they'll even look at it.

Econhead
11-26-2014, 05:38 PM
No. I do not think they'll even look at it.

I am not sure about European programs, but in the US the graduate school has to approve you (recommend you for admission) in addition to the program itself admitting you. Although you expect the program to be more stringent, if your LoR writer has a connection and you are admitted to a program (despite this flaw), the graduate school does not. So if their standards are higher than your scores, it might not matter. Just throwing it out there.

TilburgU
11-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi,

Dear student,

For the admissions to the RM in Economics at Tilburg University the Admissions Committee will assess the complete application packages, including:
- A copy of your Bachelorís or Masterís diploma (if you still have to graduate, you should instead submit the expected graduation date or a graduation statement)
- Copies of your (recent) grade transcript(s)
- A copy of your GRE General Test score report
- An English Language Certificate according to the admissions requirements
- Letter of motivation according to the format (1 letter per program you are applying for!)
- At least two letters of recommendation (these should be submitted directly by their writers)
- Curriculum Vitae
- A copy of your passport
- Relevant written work, such as your Bachelor's or Master's thesis or written assignment

Indeed, the preferred minimum score for the GRE on quantitative section should be 75%, however the Admissions Committee will not reject you solely based on a lower GRE score. They will assess your application based on the entire package. Therefore I would like to recommend you to apply anyways.

You can find more information on our website: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/research-master-economics/. Please contact us if you have any further questions: center-gs@tilburguniversity.edu (%20center-gs@tilburguniversity.edu).

Kind regards,
Omid Feyli
International Marketing and Recruitment
Tilburg University

fantinity
11-27-2014, 03:12 PM
OK then. Last year is was mentioned on their site that they require 90% in GRE quant, but now I can't find it there.

MR14
12-01-2014, 12:12 AM
Which in practice is still what they do. Guy above does not work for graduate school; agree with poster above that applying without ~85th, but probably ~90th, is a waste of time to both you and Acoms.

cfrv93
12-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I sent my application in anyway. Do you think I can make the pre-Master's? Also could anybody tell me about TSE they got my application tody. Thanks to all!

MR14
12-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Why did you? With Tilburg and Toulouse you had plenty of time to retake the test... Both programs have competitive admissions and expect decent test scores (as noted above). Now they will just reject you :torn:.

publicaffairsny
12-04-2014, 03:45 AM
Why did you? With Tilburg and Toulouse you had plenty of time to retake the test... Both programs have competitive admissions and expect decent test scores (as noted above). Now they will just reject you :torn:.

Because the admissions guy from tilburg successfully sweet talked another person into applying. Selectivity goes up .3%. Give that man a raise!

cfrv93
12-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps for Tilburg I would have, but I needed to submit my TSE to qualify for the Eiffel Scholarship this Monday. Also, I am going to be writing my disseration next semester and am heavily involved in school activities, so finding time to do 4 classes, a senior thesis, raise my GPA and keep my extracurricular committments would not have been possible had I needed to invest 3-4 hours every day to get a decent GRE quant in the spring. Honestly, if I don't get in I'll try again next year. I've been watching Rudy to keep me motivated. I need to believe that the adcoms are not so myopic as to judge human potential by a percentile score. Thanks for your insight guys.

Econhead
12-04-2014, 07:04 PM
I need to believe that the adcoms are not so myopic as to judge human potential by a percentile score.

And here i thought that it was a good thing that all this training that I had done, and all the discussions that I had with my wife that we needed to "take the emotion out of the equation" to make a good decision was teaching me to be a disconnected rational economist. All along I just needed to be more pragmatic and feel my way through decisions rather than paying attention to correlated events. Oops.

cfrv93
12-09-2014, 09:45 PM
And here i thought that it was a good thing that all this training that I had done, and all the discussions that I had with my wife that we needed to "take the emotion out of the equation" to make a good decision was teaching me to be a disconnected rational economist. All along I just needed to be more pragmatic and feel my way through decisions rather than paying attention to correlated events. Oops.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I just got an offer to do the M1 ECOSTAT at TSE. So I guess my GRE scores were not that important,

publicaffairsny
12-09-2014, 11:53 PM
That's an unexpected result. If you are feeling altruistic post a full profile in the roll call with your admissions result so future applicants can use the information.

MR14
12-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I just got an offer to do the M1 ECOSTAT at TSE. So I guess my GRE scores were not that important,

That is very unexpected, as well as very fast (within two weeks after submission?). I'd be interested in seeing your whole profile as well. Does the TSE require submission of GRE scores? Otherwise they may not have looked at them eg. Anyway: congratulations.

Econhead
12-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Congratulations as well. The ill-humor is not an indictment of ill-will. Best of luck.