PDA

View Full Version : Profile Evaluation Fall 2015

campukes
11-29-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm kind of freaking out right now, because I waited until very late to take the GRE and did not perform as good as I thought I would. Should I even bother to still apply? Could I retake the GRE and update my scores after I submit my application?

Type of Undergrad: UCSD/ Top 15 public
Undergrad GPA: 3.8 O
GRE: 162 Q / 163 V / 5.0 AWA
Major: Mathematics and Economics double major
Math Courses: Calculus I/II (B/A), Calculus III (A), Linear Algebra (A), Intro Differential Equations (B), , Probability (A), Mathematical Statistics I (A), Mathematical Statistics II (A+), Stochastic Processes I (B+) Stochastic Processes II (A-), Foundations of Higher Mathematics (A), Introduction to Mathematical Analysis I/II (A/+A+), Applied Linear Algebra (A), Numerical Analysis (A), Numerical Optimization I/II (In Progress), Time Series (Will Be completed by spring),
Graduate Math: Convex Analysis I/II/III (In Progress), Stochastic Processes(Will Be Completed in Spring)

Letters of Recommendation: One very enthusiastic letter from my senior thesis adviser. He is a very well known theorist. Another letter from a lesser known professor whom I have been a research assistant for the past year. Another letter from a mathematics professor who vouches for my mathematical capabilities, and who I will complete a mathematics thesis under.

Research Experience: Senior Thesis, RA for 1 year for professor, currently a paid RA for a graduate student
Teaching Experience: One quarter teaching intermediate micro theory, and will TA econometrics next quarter

Research Interests: Applied micro, behavioral game theory, mathematical economics (which makes it funny that I scored so low on the GRE)

SOP: Discussed my previous research experience and future aspirations as an economist

Concerns: GRE!!!!!!

Applying to: UCLA, Berkeley, UCSD, Stanford, Michigan, Yale, UC Davis

startz
11-30-2014, 12:19 AM
You are at one of the best economics departments in the world and have good relations with two economics faculty members. For goodness sake, ask them--not an internet forum.

campukes
11-30-2014, 01:36 AM
You are at one of the best economics departments in the world and have good relations with two economics faculty members. For goodness sake, ask them--not an internet forum.

Thanks for the reply!

I already talked to them, and they encouraged me to still apply. However, I am unsure if they told me that only to not completely demoralize me.

fake22
11-30-2014, 05:27 AM
I think that the rest of your application, that what one can see here, is very good. I believe that if they let go a very good application just because the GRE is not the highest they are not doing their job well. You only will have to live with the fact that many applicants with similar profiles will have higher Q Score. I don't think professors care too muchi about your feelings, they will probably first tell you the truth so relax!

Kaysa
11-30-2014, 02:40 PM
I am more concerned that you are only applying to 7 places.