PDA

View Full Version : Agent-Based Modeling

Phdbound
12-15-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm getting a recommendation from my macroeconomics professor but I'm a little worried about his recommendation. He's from a top-15 school and fairly well published. However, his specialty is agent-based modeling and some people have been concerned that this might make him a little too heterodox. Is it a risk to ask him for a recommendation?

Food4Thought
12-15-2014, 11:59 PM
If he's fairly well published, then I would assume that he is not too heterodox. Where are his pubs? If they are all in something like the Southeastern Tallahassee Journal of Niche Economics, then he doesn't seem too risky.

Blanket
12-16-2014, 03:28 AM
I'm getting a recommendation from my macroeconomics professor but I'm a little worried about his recommendation. He's from a top-15 school and fairly well published. However, his specialty is agent-based modeling and some people have been concerned that this might make him a little too heterodox. Is it a risk to ask him for a recommendation?

What the letter says, given that the Professor obtained his Ph.D from a roughly equivalent program to the one you are applying to, is far more important than the path their career has taken them down. If a Professor is a superstar but is not willing to pick up a phone for you, then the content of the letter is all that matters.