PDA

View Full Version : Profile Evaluation for 2016 application

corilla
12-16-2014, 12:46 AM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 10 US Ranking overall, Top 7 Econ. Currently junior
Undergrad GPA: 3.9 Overall, 385 Math, 4.0 Econ (Econ, math double major)
GRE: 5/163V/170Q
Math Courses: Honors Multivariable Calculus (A,A,B+(ouch)), Intro to proof (A- (also ouch)), Probability and Stochastic Processes(A,A,A) Real Analysis(A-,A,A) Intro to Topology (currently taking) Analysis, planning to take grad-level analysis in senior year
Econ Courses : Microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics (all first year phd level--currently taking)
Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate micro, Intermediate macro, econometrics, Advanced topic in macro, intro to industrial organization (all A's)
Letters of Recommendation: One from prof I'm RAing with(I'm going to write senior thesis with him), one from an econ prof, one from math prof (grad-level analysis)
Research Experience: summer undergraduate research grant in my sophomore year, RAship
Teaching experience:
Research Interests: Not sure yet but applied micro? Maybe IO
SOP: Strong
Applying to: All top 15 econ programs and business school programs

Concerns: A- in the first real analysis sequence

Gunning for top 5, hopefully H or M -- possible? not possible?

Thank you for your advice!

publicaffairsny
12-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Who knows. You've got all the advantages. If you want someone to assuage your anxiety over a B+, maybe someone will but not me. Your best indication since you are at a top school is how you relate to your peers who are preparing for doctoral programs. Are you better, equal or worse. This will give you some indication of where you stand for H & M. I don't think you need to apply outside of top 15.

Voided
12-17-2014, 12:30 AM
As with all profiles like yours. Talk to your professors. You will get better information from them than you will from this board.

publicaffairsny
12-17-2014, 01:33 AM
As with all profiles like yours. Talk to your professors. You will get better information from them than you will from this board.

Honestly, as OP only has a few posts I would strongly recommend that they go through and edit all of them to remove all identifying information. Adcomms can tell from the information which kid from yale with a perfect profile they are reading about. They are sending a very strong signal of insecurity, mixed with a little braggadocio by asking these questions. If OP wants to contribute insights from their excellent position at a top program, and share meaningful advice they've gleaned from experts in the field, that's one thing. Showing off their achievements and seeking validation like this in such an unbalanced setting just doesn't sit well with me.

behavingmyself
12-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Honestly, as OP only has a few posts I would strongly recommend that they go through and edit all of them to remove all identifying information. Adcomms can tell from the information which kid from yale with a perfect profile they are reading about. They are sending a very strong signal of insecurity, mixed with a little braggadocio by asking these questions. If OP wants to contribute insights from their excellent position at a top program, and share meaningful advice they've gleaned from experts in the field, that's one thing. Showing off their achievements and seeking validation like this in such an unbalanced setting just doesn't sit well with me.
C'mon, don't discourage people from asking for advice and feedback.

publicaffairsny
12-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Maybe that was harsh. I get that knee jerk response to profiles where a top 10 admission is guaranteed. It makes me question the entire system when the best and the brightest display this obsession with rankings. Its dissapointing that top candidates seem more focused on the status of their program than making a contribution.

ColonelForbin
12-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Jesus man -- take a chill pill.

Why is he OBSESSED with the rankings? He comes from a good school and has a good profile and is asking a legitimate question.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Their question was I have a perfect profile except for an a- in analysis can I still get into h+m. Honestly what kind of answer do you expect.

Its a foolish post. this kid has nothing to gain from airing their insecurities over their profile and everything to lose. I gave them good advice to remove personally identifying information.

ColonelForbin
12-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Bullsh!t. Maybe there are other things in his profile that might keep him out of the sacred area code.

The bad grades are something to worry about -- it is uber competitive

Your posts are foolish and you're the only one making an a$$ of yourself. If you think that adcoms have enough time to peruse this board in search for students with "anxieties" then you're sadly mistaken.

Honestly dude -- OP has no braggadocio. Next time put your thesaurus away, because you look brag-douchy-o and jealous.

Edit: OP -- Ignore PANY, talk to your advisors. You'll end up in top-5.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 01:40 AM
Bullsh!t. Maybe there are other things in his profile that might keep him out of the sacred area code.

The bad grades are something to worry about -- it is uber competitive

Your posts are foolish and you're the only one making an a$$ of yourself. If you think that adcoms have enough time to peruse this board in search for students with "anxieties" then you're sadly mistaken.

Honestly dude -- OP has no braggadocio. Next time put your thesaurus away, because you look brag-douchy-o and jealous.

Edit: OP -- Ignore PANY, talk to your advisors. You'll end up in top-5.

Amazing someone can get to such a level and yet have zero self-confidence. If they walk away with a bit of perspective I've done my job.

Blanket
12-19-2014, 02:21 AM
Amazing someone can get to such a level and yet have zero self-confidence. If they walk away with a bit of perspective I've done my job.

What is wrong with you? OP posed an honest question. Being an *** is completely uncalled for here.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 02:25 AM
What is wrong with you? OP posed an honest question. Being an *** is completely uncalled for here.

I gave a piece of advice, which was met with escalating hostility. I think my comments have actually been the least aggressive so far.

ColonelForbin
12-19-2014, 02:32 AM
Yes -- we are being hostile towards you, not towards the OP who has every right to ask his question on a Ph.D. admissions board.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 02:38 AM
Yes -- we are being hostile towards you, not towards the OP who has every right to ask his question on a Ph.D. admissions board.

Does OP also have a right to be flattered rather than educated?

ColonelForbin
12-19-2014, 03:34 AM
OP didn't look for flattery -- you're assuming that.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 03:52 AM
Listen, OP is doing everything they can. there are hiccups along the way for most people, though I know some kids manage the 4.0, whatever. their achievements should give them confidence that they will have an avenue to study what they are passionate about. that's a huge privilege. so rather than angling for a marginal increase in that privilege, any question posed should express gratitude rather than anxiety. I am trying to help OP learn that and move forward with greater confidence.

NBZ
12-19-2014, 04:56 AM
that's a huge privilege. so rather than angling for a marginal increase in that privilege, any question posed should express gratitude rather than anxiety.

OP evidently knows he is a strong candidate. He asked whether he can get into top 5, a legitimate question since there are many good candidates who don't get into the top 5. Must he at the same time apologize to you and express his gratitude every step of the way? Come on.

Voided
12-19-2014, 05:31 AM
I'm not sure why you think that adcoms will even care if someone shows insecurity. I have yet to read a guide-to-grad-school that doesn't say "You will, at some point, suffer from impostor syndrome". I imagine most adcoms have experienced this. Do you think that they see insecurity and think "Well, they aren't going to be any good at research"?

Many people going straight from undergrad to grad will experience anxiety. Gauss forbid they choose to go to a forum with other people striving for the same thing to seek reassurance.

ColonelForbin
12-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Game. Set. Match.

PANY - maybe you should proceed with a bit more confidence. I'm sorry if this board makes you feel inferior to well qualified candidates, but this isn't about you, nor should it be.

nguyenminhhieuh
12-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Can we end this discussion here, please??

I felt too hesitant to butt in, given my zero experience and expertise to give advice to the OP (I am a 2015 applicant myself). But it seems to me that we're wayyy off-topic now.

- To publicaffairsny: if you (still) think the OP is a braggard, then you can keep your opinion to yourself or you can send a personal message to him. Honestly your above comments really took me aback, considering how much I have admired your contribution to this forum.

- To others and later posters, please suggest to the OP relevant courses of action that he can take from now until he applies (in ~1 year's time) to maximize his chances of admission. We this season's applicants might also learn something useful from your recommendations to the OP as well, since this season is not over yet. Thanks to all, and peace out!

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm always amazed at the energy folks will expend to avoid being challenged. Whatever. And the ad hominem attacks say nothing about me and everything about you.

ColonelForbin
12-19-2014, 04:31 PM
You're so vain, I bet you think this thread is about you, don't you, don't you, don't you...

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Wow, you're truly incapable of a civil discourse. Can I help you understand why its important to not say the most insulting thing possible but rather seek to engage folks productively?

nguyenminhhieuh
12-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Don't take my comment the wrong way. I respect you guys' opinions, but arguing/making personal attacks back and forth like this is not going to help the OP and us applicants.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 05:07 PM
I agree, and its unfortunate that my helpful advice had to be derailed by personal attacks because my message was challenging to certain hegemonic constructs of prestige or hierarchy or whatever sensibility it was that I offended. However, at a certain point, once others have leveled personal attacks, I am entitled to respond.

Econhead
12-19-2014, 05:55 PM
The worst part about this is the compulsion to respond. Public, the only way this will die is if you cease posting.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm not necessarily interested in it dying. No one is posting in any other threads and without any action I have to go back to work.

Besides I think we're making progress here. Its valuable for aspiring academics to question these constructs even if they fight it every step of the way.

behavingmyself
12-19-2014, 06:56 PM
I agree, and its unfortunate that my helpful advice had to be derailed by personal attacks because my message was challenging to certain hegemonic constructs of prestige or hierarchy or whatever sensibility it was that I offended. However, at a certain point, once others have leveled personal attacks, I am entitled to respond.
You told a poster that he should not use this board and you impugned his motivations for doing so, for no reason other than that his profile is strong. You are being called out because that was obnoxious and once again showed that you are prone to making confident statements about things which you are not in a position to know. Your ensuing meltdown further reinforces the theme that your goal for this site is to indulge yourself in your leisure time, not to help applicants.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 07:02 PM
You told a poster that he should not use this board and you impugned his motivations for doing so, for no reason other than that his profile is strong. You are being called out because that was obnoxious and once again showed that you are prone to making confident statements about things which you are not in a position to know. Your ensuing meltdown further reinforces the theme that your goal for this site is to indulge yourself in your leisure time, not to help applicants.

Keep digging. I'm sure the OP learned much more from receiving constructive criticism than being flattered.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Additionally, this is far from me having a meltdown. I'm issuing calm statements, generally consisting of one or two short sentences. Its not my fault that folks are experiencing their heads exploding because a non-conforming message does not compute.

ColonelForbin
12-19-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm not necessarily interested in it dying. No one is posting in any other threads and without any action I have to go back to work.

There's this little thing called Reddit.. take your debaucherous behavior there. You're turning this forum into a cesspool.

publicaffairsny
12-19-2014, 08:04 PM
My interests are too narrow for reddit and the level of discourse is too low there. Listen you guys attacked the content of this thread but I've actually been getting mostly good post ratings for the last month or so. Obviously I said something here that triggered a strong response, so I would be remiss in not clarifying and seeking to educate.

PhDPlease
12-19-2014, 08:28 PM
I think the problem is not the advice itself, but that the tone could be interpreted as harsh by some people. Tones don't always convey through the internet, people have different tones, and what sounds harsh/mean to one person might sound like constructive criticism to another. I think this isn't just unique to this case, but tends to occur in academia as well such as when giving advice at seminars. My personal preference is to try to lean toward giving advice in as nice/friendly a way as possible, but I recognize that other people have different perspectives as to what is constructive versus what crosses the line into being too harsh (which I think in many cases depends more on the tone/wording than the actual contents of the advice).

PhDPlease
12-19-2014, 09:19 PM
To respond to the original question, I would be very surprised if you didn't make the top 5. For H/M I think your chance is excellent but will depend on factors like grades in classes you're enrolled in now, strength of letters, random noise. If I had to guess yes or not to H/M, I'd go with a yes. I don't really see any flaws in your profile and am not really concerned about the A-, but it's hard to really say anyone is a shoe-in for H/M due to it being so competitive, unobservables such as the letters, and random noise.