PDA

View Full Version : poor math econ grade, good math grades

janthony88
12-17-2014, 02:14 AM
What do adcomms place weight on more? I aced calc 1-3 but got a b- in mathematical economics. Is it worth retaking? My aim is a top 50 school. Thanks in advance.

publicaffairsny
12-17-2014, 02:20 AM
What do adcomms place weight on more? I aced calc 1-3 but got a b- in mathematical economics. Is it worth retaking? My aim is a top 50 school. Thanks in advance.

Post a full profile. Without more information theres no way to give an answer.

Food4Thought
12-17-2014, 02:54 AM
Post a full profile. Without more information theres no way to give an answer.

The question doesn't really require a full profile. What is needed is clarification on how advanced the math econ course. If it was pretty advanced, then your grade in that class will likely be weighed more, since it will be a more revealing indicator of your ability to do economics at a high level.

That being said, did you get a B-, because it was too hard, or did you just jump in to hard classes prematurely?

publicaffairsny
12-17-2014, 03:29 AM
The question doesn't really require a full profile. What is needed is clarification on how advanced the math econ course. If it was pretty advanced, then your grade in that class will likely be weighed more, since it will be a more revealing indicator of your ability to do economics at a high level.

That being said, did you get a B-, because it was too hard, or did you just jump in to hard classes prematurely?

I disagree. Does OP have only 4 math classes including calc 1-3 and math econ, or does OP have other courses to mitigate. Is OP a sophomore or junior? Without any context you can make no assessment of the relevance of 1 course on how adcomms will view OP's profile.

Furthermore, these considerations change the advice given. If OP has only taken calc 1-3 and math econ and is a Junior, they need to spend the next two semesters taking math stats, linear, real analysis, and an advanced probability course. Not retaking a course that they got a B- in. However, if they have a relatively strong and complete profile, they might benefit from retaking.

Food4Thought
12-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Yes, but you are reinterpreting OP's question. He was asking what adcoms place more weight on: calc I-III or mathematical economics. The answer to this question is almost without a doubt mathematical economics. That course, as long as it is true to its name and is pretty advanced, serves as more of a signal to one's ability than basic calculus.

janthony88
12-18-2014, 12:51 AM
It was an intro to Mathematical Economics course, pretty simple and did not cover anything past constrained optimization. I understood the material well and did well enough on the exams to earn an A. Homework is what screwed me up.

And yes, I have only taken Calc 1-3. By the start of next fall I plan to have Linear Alg, Diff Eq, Intro to Proofs, Probability Theory, and at least a quarter of Intermediate Analysis completed.

publicaffairsny
12-18-2014, 12:59 AM
Do your homework kid. Its absolutely necessary.