PDA

View Full Version : Gifts to LORs' writers

Lin Alessandro
12-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Hello everybody,

as many of us are applying for admission for phd, we all had to ask professors to write us a LOR.

Now, I have some questions about the after of a LOR.

is it ethically correct to give the writers some gift? Coupons?

Is yes, what kind of gift to make?

and what €/$ range should it be?

Thank you all

ps should it be after lor of after results?

Econhead
12-17-2014, 06:49 PM
It's perfectly alright (in the US) to give them a gift. Several have indicated taking them to lunch is an option. I am giving alcohol. I am only struggling to decide weather to give something now, or wait until after results have come through/decisions have been made, or weather both are in order. Tough decisions.

startz
12-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Hello everybody,

as many of us are applying for admission for phd, we all had to ask professors to write us a LOR.

Now, I have some questions about the after of a LOR.

is it ethically correct to give the writers some gift? Coupons?

Is yes, what kind of gift to make?

and what /$ range should it be?

Thank you all

ps should it be after lor of after results?

The best gift is a sincere thank you note, followed up by an occasional email from graduate school keeping in touch. If you have to go further than that, keep it symbolic. A small box of chocolates...nothing of any significant financial value ever.

PhDPlease
12-17-2014, 06:57 PM
I would say that a thank you note is expected/required, and a gift beyond that is discretionary/optional. If you give a gift, I would recommend something inexpensive such as a desert, a coffee mug, bottle of wine (unless you work somewhere that forbids alcohol or their culture prohibits drinking), a small selection of nice teas (good for anyone but especially as a substitute for alcohol if alcohol isn't appropriate). I don't think you need to wait until you have received your decisions but I would wait until all letters have been submitted (so it won't be perceived as a bribe).