PDA

View Full Version : About MA Econ in the University of Tokyo. Can somebody help?

naruto2015
12-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi,guys
I plan to finish a Master somewhere not expensive before applying for a US econ PHD program. I got an AD from MA ECON program in the University of Tokyo but there is too few sources of relevant information in English online. I can't find its past placement on its website. Can it be a good step stone for a good PHD program in the US? Is it well known by US econ department? Any insights and comments are welcome!

suxin126
12-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Is it UTIPE program you are talking about? or the regular econ master's program for japanese? For the former, i don't think it's a good stepping stone for phd..

naruto2015
12-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Thanks for your replying! I'm talking about UTIPE program. Can you give me some detailed insights? The relevant information online is really limited. I read it one the website that a UTIPE student can choose all classes offered as freely as a regular econ master student can, and recent regular master students seem to have good placements for applying abroad. Is there much difference between the two programs?

suxin126
12-30-2014, 01:15 PM
I am not in the program but I heard that it doesn't have its own courses so you need to compete with the best Japanese students in the regular MA program. Also the placements are not as good as the regular's..