PDA

View Full Version : LSE MRes/PhD

QuantMacro
12-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Do you need a master's degree to apply to LSE MRes/PhD? I'm not entirely sure from the website.

This is from their site; it seems like a master's is not necessary for Track 1.
MRes/PhDYour entry qualification determines which track you will follow if your application is successful. For entry onto either track, candidates should have, as a minimum, a first or upper second class honours degree, or equivalent, in a closely related discipline. Track 1 students fulfil the entry requirements for a master's degree and follow the 2+2 structure laid out below. Track 2 may involve an exemption from some of the taught courses and will only be recommended by the course conveners if, in their judgement, a student already has appropriate prior training in quantitative methods and has already completed an MA or MSc in a relevant discipline. Upgrade to the PhD depends on successful completion of the MRes in either track.

publicaffairsny
12-23-2014, 07:30 PM
I interpret that as as pretty clearly stating that candidates without an ma enter track one, candidates with ma and adequate quant background enter track 2.

You may be confused by this line:

Track 1 students fulfil the entry requirements for a master's degree

This means they have all the pre-reqs to begin a masters, not that they already have a masters.

For track 1 the minimum requirements are (according to this paragraph):

as a minimum, a first or upper second class honours degree, or equivalent, in a closely related discipline

QuantMacro
12-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Sounds right to me!