PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Waitlist 2015

spivakisgod
02-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Anyone on the Michigan waitlist? I've been invited to the visit day. Is everyone on the waitlist invited to visit in March? It says "a considerable number of people" have been admitted from the waitlist in past years, but what are the real chances?

friedbanana
02-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Anyone on the Michigan waitlist? I've been invited to the visit day. Is everyone on the waitlist invited to visit in March? It says "a considerable number of people" have been admitted from the waitlist in past years, but what are the real chances?

which program did you apply for? i applied for ops and wasn't invited to visit day. i too am curious to your question, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see

friedbanana
02-25-2015, 04:58 PM
which program did you apply for? i applied for ops and wasn't invited to visit day. i too am curious to your question, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see

oh nevermind! i see that you are in the econ forum. i think it's worth a visit...

stressedout
03-05-2015, 12:37 AM

I'm on the waitlist as well with the visit day invite. From reading this forum it seems in previous years they maintained two waitlists with only one of them inviting candidates to the preview day. This year it seems they have issued two rounds of waitlists as well. I received my waitlist in the first round, but I don't know if the second round also included the visit day. It also appears that given there are two waitlists, the odds of getting in are greater if you're on the list with the visit day.

crazyforPhD
03-05-2015, 06:15 PM

I'm also on the waitlist and invited. I'm going to visit as I think the chances of getting in are pretty high. My friend who is currently in PhD program there told me that quite a few people like that ended up being admitted.

ColonelForbin
03-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Yea -- I think I'll attend too. It's a good program and I'd like to hear the impressions of students there. Worst case scenario is that I accure some air miles.

senorfluffy
03-05-2015, 10:48 PM
I also got waitlisted and invited to visit. Hopefully, there's enough room for all of us. I really hope stressedout is right in that getting invited to the visit day means we're a little bit closer to the top of the wait list. It's just nerve-racking not knowing.

stressedout
03-06-2015, 01:56 AM
Did all of us get the notification on Feb 19? If not, then there probably are not two tiers of wait lists.

spivakisgod
03-06-2015, 04:13 AM
Did all of us get the notification on Feb 19? If not, then there probably are not two tiers of wait lists.

Yes, I got it on Feb 19.

senorfluffy
03-12-2015, 04:32 AM
Is anyone from here going to the visit day?

stressedout
03-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Decided against - think I have comparable and well-funded offers and I'm not sure it's worth the time given the number of people on the wait list. And of course to get there I'd have to spend a bit more money than their travel reimbursement covers.

spivakisgod
03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Decided against - think I have comparable and well-funded offers and I'm not sure it's worth the time given the number of people on the wait list. And of course to get there I'd have to spend a bit more money than their travel reimbursement covers.

Does this mean you're turning down Michigan totally? Well in that case, we would greatly appreciate it if you consider withdrawing from the waitlist. =)

stressedout
03-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Does this mean you're turning down Michigan totally? Well in that case, we would greatly appreciate it if you consider withdrawing from the waitlist. =)

Sorry, I should clarify. I love the program and feel it's a great research fit. I'm just a little down on my odds and can only take the time to visit places that I am accepted. If I do decide to go elsewhere based on the coming visit days, I will definitely withdraw as soon as possible for people holding out hope! Good luck!

senorfluffy
03-13-2015, 06:21 AM
I'm a little worried about it being a bit awkward, but they're paying for it, and I think going would probably help my chances of getting off the waitlist. fingers-crossed.

spivakisgod
03-13-2015, 03:16 PM
I'm a little worried about it being a bit awkward, but they're paying for it, and I think going would probably help my chances of getting off the waitlist. fingers-crossed.

Don't worry. I was on the other end (an admitted candidate) for a recent visit, and there were waitlisted candidates there. I don't think it was awkward or anything for them, and you usually can't tell unless they talk to you about it in private anyway.

But I will be in Ann Arbor. See you there!

weakerthan
03-13-2015, 08:39 PM
I'll be there too! Is anyone else taking the 4:45 AirRide back to the airport? I hate to leave the schmoozing session early, but that's the latest bus that get's me to my flight, unless I rent a car...

senorfluffy
03-15-2015, 03:04 AM
Don't worry. I was on the other end (an admitted candidate) for a recent visit, and there were waitlisted candidates there. I don't think it was awkward or anything for them, and you usually can't tell unless they talk to you about it in private anyway.

Great to hear! Thanks for the heads up.

spivakisgod
04-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Anyone hear back yet or have any information about when they will be making decisions?

profwjf
04-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Someone just posted on GC getting accepted off the WL. I guess they are at least in the process of making decisions, if not already finished...

profwjf
04-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Anyone hear back yet or have any information about when they will be making decisions?

I'm also on their WL and haven't heard anything yet

senorfluffy
04-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Best of luck to all of y'all on the waitlist. But not too much luck, as I want in too. :p

I hear Michigan takes a lot of people off the waitlist though, so hopefully it'll be good news on the 15th. I'm still pretty nervous though.

spivakisgod
04-13-2015, 07:37 PM
In case anyone is wondering, I just got accepted off the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone else!

weakerthan
04-14-2015, 01:15 AM
This makes me feel great about letting go of my Michigan offer :)