PDA

View Full Version : Thru with my TOEFL today

xaero
10-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I just finished my TOEFL today. Here are the scores...

Listening - 27 (Had to deal with 30 questions in 15 mins)
Structure - 13-30 (25 Qs in 20 mins)
Reading - 29 (55 Qs in 90 mins)

(Could someone please interpret the Structure score for me??)

And the range being 230-287.

As for the essay it was topic no.108 (Should life be learnt thru advices from family and friends OR thru experience??)

And no wonder many people complain abt the excessive noise during the TOEFL test!! It really was annoying to have people banging away on their keyboards around me(probably the AWA of the GRE) while I was doing my Listening section [}:)]. As for the Reading part, things got really boring towards the final comprehension passage and I ran out of patience. But the questions were pretty simple, especially after all the travail I had experienced while going thru the gut wrenching RCs of the GRE [:(!]. The structure section was not too bad either.

And about the essay, I was asked to substantiate both sides of the argument and then express my opinion (quite unlike the GRE). I highlighted atleast 2-3 points on each position of the argument followed by a small paragraph on my opinion.
Hope that suffices ??

As for the score, I'm not too sure whether my score is impressive or not. I've heard that the TOEFL score forms a 'not so significant' part of grad admissions, esp for MS in Engineering subjects. But the news is that the score plays a major role in the Visa procedures after the admission process. Comments??

Of course, <font face="Impact">[/SIZE]A Trillion thanks to Erin and the Testmagic team [/SIZE]</font id="Impact">for their GRRRREAT support and interaction. Admittedly, my TOEFL prep was too offhand since I finished my GRE only 3 weeks back and I hardly got myself to pore over the TOEFL books after that. My contributions and the responses in the AWA section of the forum were of a great help for my performance in the GRE as well as my TOEFL, none of which would've been possible if I hadnt stumbled across good ol' ERIN's forum, when there was practically no help anywhere for the essay section of the GRE.

As the Song of Hiawatha goes...

[/SIZE]May your (and the Testmagic's) tribe increase!![/SIZE]

Vaya
10-28-2002, 02:37 PM
<font face="Lucida Console">Congrats!!!</font id="Lucida Console">

Your score is really good. In structure section you got all the questions correct! If you did well on AWA I am prety sure you did very well on TOEFL essay.

Be sure to inform us about your final score, admission and stuff. Best wishes! You did it!

Renata

vertical_horizon
10-28-2002, 02:47 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Great score!!!!

-phuong-

bubble
10-28-2002, 05:13 PM
Congratulations! Xaero
You did it again.

raghuveer_v
10-28-2002, 06:42 PM
That's cool.

Great score, friend. and all the best.

Erin
10-28-2002, 07:13 PM
Awesome score, great post!!

:) :)

xaero,

It looks like you got just about the maximum in all the sections; you couldn't ask for much more. Great!

You're pretty much right about the TOEFL--most programs are looking for kind of a "minimum score," but of course, the higher, the better. The other parts of your application will be much more important. But, yes, the consulates are looking more closely at the TOEFL scores now, so it's definitely better to get higher if you can.

But your score is so good that you can pretty much relax as far as tests go. Now it's time to tackle the applications!

atnoon
10-28-2002, 11:22 PM
[/SIZE]:DCONGRATULATION!!:D[/SIZE]
Noon:)

synthia
10-29-2002, 02:11 AM
Hey xaero,

HIP HIP HURRAH

U are one big genius! Kudos my friend. God bless U

xaero
10-29-2002, 08:26 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!!! I'm much relieved to hear from Erin that the score is decent enough. As for the admissions, I'm applying only for the Fall 2004 course, since I have another 10 months of my pre-grad studies. So that leaves me with plenty of time to research about the grad schools and pursue some research work that could aid me in the admissions process. That, I guess, would mean more posts in the admissions section of Testmagic for another year or so. :). I sure am looking forward to it!! :cool:

shyam29
03-08-2006, 06:18 AM
wow!! u have a great score.. from ur post it seems that GRE, GMAT, TOEFL all tests are taken simultaneously at the same centre.. is it so?? anyways, do tell us ur final scores and where u got admission..
I wish u a happy life abroad