PDA

View Full Version : The MIXED FRACTION

lorcar
11-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Hi all!

it's really the first time in my life I see what ETS calls miked fraction

x(1/y) = x+1/y

every time I am tented to multiply....

I thought it was something not used, and now I read in the questions posted in GMAT PP.doc.....

sabna
11-26-2004, 10:30 AM
lorcar..i didnt get what u meant..?,can u please elaborate a bit?

prayers
sabna

danielman
11-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi all!

it's really the first time in my life I see what ETS calls miked fraction

x(1/y) = x+1/y

every time I am tented to multiply....

I thought it was something not used, and now I read in the questions posted in GMAT PP.doc.....It's not a big deal. A mixed fraction is only a (nasty) way to write an integer + a proper fraction. I always have thought that is not a big cost to them to simply do write the sign "+" in the middle, but it seems some people like this. :)

Usually a mixed number is written with a big number and a smaller fraction in the middle. It is *not right* to write it as you did it before. x(1/y) still means x/y.

lorcar
11-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Usually a mixed number is written with a big number and a smaller fraction in the middle. It is *not right* to write it as you did it before. x(1/y) still means x/y.
indeed is what I misunderstood every time I met a MF!!!
i had never seen before, neither in Italian mathematics book, nor in American ones...

danielman
11-27-2004, 02:22 PM
indeed is what I misunderstood every time I met a MF!!!
i had never seen before, neither in Italian mathematics book, nor in American ones...

I think the better thing you can do, knowing that you're always confused by this notation, is to rewrite in your scrap paper the numbers with the "+" symbol in the middle.

As you know that this is a problem for you, you should include mixed fractions in your own "checklist" -among with the old well known reversing the direction of an inequality when multiplying to a negative number or not to forget to consider the two solutions of a quadratic eq.-

Obelixous
11-27-2004, 03:59 PM
How many more of such conventions are used by ETS?

Big Dog 04
11-27-2004, 07:41 PM
ETS uses virtually all of them especially a quadratic having two factors, positive and negative values of a square root. They emphasise the understanding of maths not number crunching ability.... unfortunatley.