PDA

View Full Version : How is GMAT 800 by Kaplan ??

tahseen_jamal
11-03-2002, 09:06 AM
I am planning to buy few books amongst which are

GMAT 800 by kaplan
Princeton's Verbal Workout

Kindly advise on above mentioned books. Basically I want to improve my verbals. I score very good even though I haven't done any practice in it as I have an engineering background. Therefore I would like to have more and more books on verbal section

Erin
11-05-2002, 04:45 AM
Well, those books are both pretty good, and will help you understand GMAT a bit more, but IMHO, there's really no substitute to working through the tough questions people post here.

In a word, the more, the better. I've got reviews of a couple books here:

http://www.TestMagic.com/Knowledge_Base/book_recommendations.htm#gmat_extra_verbal_practic e

I've looked through the 800 series from Kaplan, and they look okay, but again, they don't even come close to covering all the hard verbal stuff you'll see on the GMAT if you're looking to go over 700.

HTH :)

tahseen_jamal
11-05-2002, 08:16 AM
Would it be alright to go through that High School English Grammer Book called Wrenin and Martin? People say that it fine tunes your english grammer. I would write GMAT in Oct 2003.

As I am a Marine Engineer I won't be able to connect to net and therefore would like to take something to study on board the ship

Erin
11-05-2002, 05:30 PM
I don't know that book, but many high school grammar books do a pretty good job of explaining grammar, IMO. I've found a couple of used grammar books from the 1950's that are interesting to look through. The older books tend to stress grammar, while the newer ones stress organization of ideas.